Bulletproof Coffee

Options

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    I'm not sure what that is, let me go ahead and look that up on google....hmmm...oh...oh God...why is this even a thing?

Adding a bunch of fat to coffee? What? I mean when is the last time you had a cup of coffee and thought to yourself, you know what this really needs....some butter, or maybe a few tablespoons of olive oil. A little bit of cream I get....but butter?!?

How about instead you just have some sausage and eggs with yoru coffee. People are weird.

Do you own a vitamix? You maybe onto something!! It's fast and easy :)
  • dovetheraven
    dovetheraven Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I prefer coffee and raw coconut oil, and I find the energy boost from the MTC/Coffee combo to be wonderful. It helps with intermittent fasting...curbs the hunger until later in the day. I skip out on the butter, because it is just too rich for me. These days, I can't drink coffee without the fat. It just doesn't have the same clean jitter-free and crash-free energy boost without it.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    What the heck is "therapeutic" about MCT? Serious question.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options

Dr Oz endorses it so...
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

Feels good
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options

It's supposed to distract you from the saturated fat. Don't look!
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Vowder wrote: »
    Well.... perhaps I am wrong... but I don't think so.

Dietary fat CANNOT and DOES NOT get stored as fat in the body.
    You've got to be joking, right?

Overeating fat (over my TDEE of course) is what got me obese in the first place. Croatian food can be VERY high in fat.

Of course, if you eat a high percentage of fat, protein or carbs below or at your TDEE, you won't gain. This much is true.
  • the_new_mark_2017
    the_new_mark_2017 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    BPC helps me with satiety when IF 16/8 and has no negative impact on rising blood sugar levels. Jason Fung explains this in detail in his you tube videos.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I don't see why it would be unhealthy, but it is the most bizarre concept I've ever heard of. It totally beats out drinking kale on the weird food idea scale.

It really isn't any odder than putting cow breast milk and evaporated beet juice in your coffee. ;) It's more a matter of what you are used to.

Things become more bizarre the less familiar they are?!? You're kidding! ;)

I don't think there is such a thing as cow breast milk since cows don't have breasts.

True. Udder milk?
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    SideSteel wrote: »
    I drink it most days. It fits my macros. I eat LCHF and tend to skip a breakfast do drinking coffee with a teaspoon of coconut oil (lots of MCTs - great for brain health) and some cream fills me up. Plus I love sipping coffee and like the taste.

I've always liked drinking my calories too. I like smoothies, coffee with cream, teas, and I used to like alcoholic drinks. Those who don't drink their calories might not enjoy it.

I am sure it isn't bad for you. My BPC probably has about the same calories as someone else's creamer and sugar. I just don't have the carbs in mine.

About the only time BPC might be a bad idea is if you are adding it onto an already full breakfast. Depending on how you make it, it could be a few hundred extra calories per day.

IIRC one of Asprey's recommendations clocks in around 600cals? At SOME point I'd have to think that might matter in some individuals even under a condition where someone isn't gaining bodyweight.

You could be right. I have no idea - I've never followed Asprey. I was putting coconut oil in my coffee long before I'd ever heard of him or BPC. It started with coconut cream from a can because I had some dairy issues and liked cream in my coffee, and many of the substitute milks had cross contamination issues that could have been a problem for my family. I switched to coconut oil because it was cheaper than coconut milk.

600kcal of coconut oil is a lot. Theraputic levels are often that high but I doubt the average Joe needs, or wants that much. I'd be in the bathroom all day if I didn't build up to that much.

Lets drink 1000kcal BP coffees and then go on my new program, Sharting Strength

Ouch... LOL
  • Yoyo_Fitness
    Yoyo_Fitness Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    My husband lost 20 pounds with ease by drinking the Bulletproof Coffee in the morning instead of eating breakfast. He eats moderate amount of carbs. His health improved dramatically, so did his energy level. I have been drinking it too, which really helped me to quit Starbucks! The last several weeks I've been following the cyclical ketogenic diet (Bulletproof diet more or less - this just means you try to select food which causes least inflammation to your body) with a carb re-feed day every three days, and I feel amazing. Never feel tired at all. I sleep so much better. Basically you are on an intermittent fast every day but rather than getting starved, the Bulletproof coffee makes you full the whole morning without breaking the ketosis, i.e. the body continues to burn fat as a source of energy. It is very hard to believe but I did read lots of books and articles on this topic, I am pretty convinced that it is a good concept AND I am happy that my health improved :)
  • alexpn
    alexpn Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    This is a really interesting thread, I am glad I found it. I did BPC a while ago, I used a generic MCT oil mainly because Aprey's products are wildly overpriced. I'm sure there is something in the science of consuming a rich keto breakfast. I currently follow keto - but eat eggs in the morning, and typical meat based salads at night. One thing I am suffering with currently is evening hunger pangs.

Drinking BPC twice a day DEFINITELY kills hunger off, and I'm sure if I did it right, logging my calories on here, I could keep my daily targets as they are and still keep exercising and nail the rest of my targets.
  • Yoyo_Fitness
    Yoyo_Fitness Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    alexpn wrote: »
    This is a really interesting thread, I am glad I found it. I did BPC a while ago, I used a generic MCT oil mainly because Aprey's products are wildly overpriced. I'm sure there is something in the science of consuming a rich keto breakfast. I currently follow keto - but eat eggs in the morning, and typical meat based salads at night. One thing I am suffering with currently is evening hunger pangs.

Drinking BPC twice a day DEFINITELY kills hunger off, and I'm sure if I did it right, logging my calories on here, I could keep my daily targets as they are and still keep exercising and nail the rest of my targets.

As long as MCT oil contains lots of C8 and C10, it is great. a guy in a FB group posted a link - https://www.amazon.com/Viva-Labs-Non-GMO-Gluten-Coconut/dp/B00MGW5UVY/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1477751168&sr=8-1&keywords=Viva+labs+MCT very good price indeed! As long as your body is in ketosis, you should be able to eat until you feel full. and if you eat your complex carb at night only (up to your limit), it should help with your hunger, too. May be you can eat more solid veggies like broccoli and cauliflowers instead of salad?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    My husband lost 20 pounds with ease by drinking the Bulletproof Coffee in the morning instead of eating breakfast. He eats moderate amount of carbs. His health improved dramatically, so did his energy level. I have been drinking it too, which really helped me to quit Starbucks! The last several weeks I've been following the cyclical ketogenic diet (Bulletproof diet more or less - this just means you try to select food which causes least inflammation to your body) with a carb re-feed day every three days, and I feel amazing. Never feel tired at all. I sleep so much better. Basically you are on an intermittent fast every day but rather than getting starved, the Bulletproof coffee makes you full the whole morning without breaking the ketosis, i.e. the body continues to burn fat as a source of energy. It is very hard to believe but I did read lots of books and articles on this topic, I am pretty convinced that it is a good concept AND I am happy that my health improved :)

What's wrong with Starbucks (other than mediocre coffee) that makes some other coffee with butter and coconut oil in it preferable? If I go to Starbucks (I normally make my own coffee or go to Intelligentsia or Peets), my black coffee or Americano has very few calories. It isn't otherwise worse for me (or more addictive) than any other coffee, Odd. If you mean you weaned off coffee with a bunch of caloric stuff in it by putting other stuff in it, that's fine, but nothing inherent in Starbucks coffee that means you have to put a bunch of stuff in it (IMO, coffee is much better black).

I also don't get this idea of "fasting" where someone is skipping breakfast but consuming as many calories as otherwise. I mean, whatever floats your boat, but there's no magic to finding it not hard to consume only 300 calories in the morning. That's having breakfast. Not a breakfast that would satisfy me, but again whatever.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I'm still waiting to find out what's therapeutic about MCT at a certain level..........