Off Topic...Thoughts on Marriage, I do or I don't???

Options
kschwab0203
kschwab0203 Posts: 610 Member
What do you do if you are in a relationship, but not on the same page with marriage?

Suppose you are living like a married couple already. Yall are living under the same roof, paying bills together, raising kids together, celebrating holidays and birthdays together, but one of you doesn't ever want to get married and one of you does.

Is that a deal breaker? Do you end the relationship?

Thoughts???

Replies

• kschwab0203
    Options
    united1974 wrote: »
    Why should not getting married be a deal breaker?

If it is important to one and unimportant to the other..should either person make a choice they are not happy with just to make the other happy or do you find someone who is more in-line with what is important to you?
  • km8907
    km8907 Posts: 3,861 Member
    Options
    My boss and her husband were similar, except both didn't really care about getting married, but got married anyways because it would make things easier as far as legalities with kids/insurance/etc. Find out why he doesn't want to get married. If it's because he doesn't know if he'll stick around until death do you part, then you can decide what you want to do from there.
  • kschwab0203
    Options
    km8907 wrote: »
    My boss and her husband were similar, except both didn't really care about getting married, but got married anyways because it would make things easier as far as legalities with kids/insurance/etc. Find out why he doesn't want to get married. If it's because he doesn't know if he'll stick around until death do you part, then you can decide what you want to do from there.

To be honest, I didn't think I wanted to get married again. If fact, I told him that I didn't want to early on in our relationship. Now, I feel differently and I've told him how I feel.

He says that he doesn't feel that marriage is important. It's not going to prove anything, change how he feels about me, etc.
  • kschwab0203
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    km8907 wrote: »

She didn't actually say it was him who didn't want to get married. It might be her.

But chances are 99% you're right. It's probably him that doesn't want to get married. And she signed up for it, got kids involved in it, and now she doesn't like the arrangement.

100% right
  • gillie80
    gillie80 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Legally being married makes things a lot easier, but really, as my husband said, it's just a piece of paper. marriage was always important to me. I'm a bit old fashioned that way. it was less important to him but he understood why it was important to me. we've been married nearly 10 years. it hasn't changed our relationship in any way. he's still a grumpy old *** and i'm still a messy witch.

sit down with him and you can both lay out why it is/isn't important to you. you may each learn something that will add to your views on the subject, or at least help you understand each other's point of view.

hope that helps.
  • BreonnaQueen
    BreonnaQueen Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    If one person wants to get married and the other doesn't then obviously one person will have to compromise but who wants what more? Do you want to get married more than he wants to be unmarried? Will he absolutely not budge on getting married? I think that's the important question to ask.
    I say sit down and ask him why he doesn't want to get married and also ask yourself, why do you truly want to get married?
  • kschwab0203
    Options
    TheRoadDog wrote: »
    If he can't make that commitment and you can't live without it, get out. You shouldn't compromise on that point. You will always resent it and, honestly, if you continue to press him, he will make the decision for you.

All really good points!

I truly believe ( based on conversations we have had) that his reason for not wanting to get married is because in his mind if things don't work out later down the line he's free and clear to just walk away. This way of thinking makes me nervous.

I've was married for 15 years. I can see the good and bad in making the choice to get married.
  • Just_J_Now
    Just_J_Now Posts: 9,551 Member
    Options
    If one makes north of 200K and the other 1/4th of that, that's really unfortunate for the latter because when the former decides to leave, you will be on the street with zero child support. This is a very precarious set-up for a low income individual.

This is not true. Parents are responsbile for their children whether they are married or not. You can sue for child support regardless of your marital status.
  • Ben_there_done_that
    Ben_there_done_that Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    How long have you been living together? Does common-law marriage apply?
  • Just_J_Now
    Just_J_Now Posts: 9,551 Member
    Options
    J_Surita3 wrote: »
    If one makes north of 200K and the other 1/4th of that, that's really unfortunate for the latter because when the former decides to leave, you will be on the street with zero child support. This is a very precarious set-up for a low income individual.

This is not true. Parents are responsbile for their children whether they are married or not. You can sue for child support regardless of your marital status.
    You're right. I actually meant to say alimony.

You'd be surprised though, there is such a thing as "common law" marriage and many states will acknowledge it as such. It's more complicated but you can sue for alimony if your "common law marriage" ends. (Depending of course on state laws, income, etc..)
  • kschwab0203
    Options
    I am going to be blunt with you, milady. If things don't work out walking away ... that should be before moving in together and raising children together. Not this late in the game.

What is the $ situation like, does he make more money? Are you employed?

He makes just a little bit more than me, but not much more.

We have been together for a little over 3 years. We moved in together (in my house) two years ago.

We have no children together. He has a 19 year old son who lived with us up until a year ago and I have three children from my marriage...13, 11, and 8.
  • AnnyisOK
    AnnyisOK Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    If it's that important to one person to have it be legal than I can see why it would be a dealbreaker. Personally, I've seen lots of people who live as a married couple with grown kids now and who are happy just the way they are without having it being "official."

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    The bottom line for me is that if he really loves you and it's that important for you, I can't really see why he wouldn't do it. Mostly in my case I would really like to be sure that we legally have each other's back if something happens to one of us (accident, unemployment, whatever) - that's what really makes marriage important to me.

I hope you figure it out!
  • PowerMan40
    PowerMan40 Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    if its not broke dont try a fix it... or you may ruin it in the process of making it perfect.
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    I think it just depends on how important it is to each of you and if you can live with/without getting married. Marriage is not a necessity for me, but I think if someone was so staunchly against marriage that they wouldn't even consider it, that mindset would be a concern for me more than not actually getting married.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I think it depends on the reasons behind being for or against it.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    His reason is more important that his answer. Why isn't he interested?

If he was married before and things went badly, then you need to reassure him and the two of you need to put steps in place to keep your marriage strong.