Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Keto - Which is more important for weight loss? Macros or Body Cues?

While I know that tracking is key for me to understand what I need to consume, portion control, and make adjustments, I had my first bout of "tracking: good or evil?" today. I listened to my body basically. I ate breakfast. It sustained me all day. No lunch. I had my packed lunch for dinner, only when I noticed I felt hunger. I was proud of this, but then I was full before I was done eating and I kept eating. Why? To get in my macros. I'm trying to also get as much potassium in addition to the regular macros as well. I had already measured everything and tracked it and so...I kept eating until I felt stuffed.

I feel like I already know the answer to my question - listen to my body. But, it begs another question, how can I ensure that I get the proper nutrition if I only eat twice (or even ONCE) a day?

Has anyone else had any issues with this on their journey for better health and/or weight loss? Keto or not?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    ikkinr20 wrote: »
    While I know that tracking is key for me to understand what I need to consume, portion control, and make adjustments, I had my first bout of "tracking: good or evil?" today. I listened to my body basically. I ate breakfast. It sustained me all day. No lunch. I had my packed lunch for dinner, only when I noticed I felt hunger. I was proud of this, but then I was full before I was done eating and I kept eating. Why? To get in my macros. I'm trying to also get as much potassium in addition to the regular macros as well. I had already measured everything and tracked it and so...I kept eating until I felt stuffed.

I feel like I already know the answer to my question - listen to my body. But, it begs another question, how can I ensure that I get the proper nutrition if I only eat twice (or even ONCE) a day?

Has anyone else had any issues with this on their journey for better health and/or weight loss? Keto or not?

It largely depends on how many calories and other nutrients make up your meals. I can easily have over 1k in calories per meal and have it in a manor that will allow a variety of nutrients. But if you were to only get 800 calories for the day, than it would be unlikely to get all the required nutrients. It might be worth it to preplan your meals to ensure you are meeting your nutritional requirements (at least short term). Since keto cuts out a large food group, you want to take a bit more precaution to ensure proper electrolyte balances.

Ps - I am far from Keto.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Eat bigger meals?
  • ikkinr20
    ikkinr20 Posts: 27 Member
    I tried that last night and got full before I could finish. That's when I kept eating past feeling full. When I got done, (still couldn't get through it all) I felt stuffed and honestly, felt bad that I kept eating. So I don't know what to do. Here again this morning, not hungry, but at least ate 2 eggs. I'm more concerned about getting daily magnesium and potassium than macros. I know I can hit them.
  • psuLemon
    Well maybe we should start with some basic questions. How many calories, carbs and sodium are you eating? Are you supplementing? Are you exercising and what are your stats? Do you have any medical issues?
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Part of keto - for me - is to listen to my body because some days I want to eat the kitchen and some days I barely eat. Most days are "normal" intake days. If my body is telling me not to eat, I don't eat (or try not to because I still eat out of habit sometimes). Don't push yourself to eat if your body is telling you it has had enough. On the flip side, it took me a while to learn but if I am hungry I eat and don't worry about the calories for the day, I just try to keep the carbs in check. My body must need the fuel. If you aren't getting enough Mag, NA and K you'll know by the icky feeling you get and you can always supplement if you need. I add salt to my coffee every morning to help supplement my sodium needs. Consider joining the LCHF group for more info. It's a supportive group with lots of great info!
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Unless you have an eating disorder it's ok to listen to your hunger cues eating low carb, IME. My calories fluctuate from one extreme to the other and everything in between. I won't be that hungry for several days and I eat less (a lot less some days) and other days I'm hungrier and eat more (again, a lot more some days) and it all evens out to a healthy amount of calories by the end of the week or month.

As for nutrition, its never been a concern even though some days I eat next to nothing. I eat nutritious food in general, follow my appetite and don't pay attention to vitamins and minerals at all other than to ensure I eat a reasonable variety of whole foods. I'm not deficient in anything and I don't supplement.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Unless you have an eating disorder it's ok to listen to your hunger cues eating low carb, IME. My calories fluctuate from one extreme to the other and everything in between. I won't be that hungry for several days and I eat less (a lot less some days) and other days I'm hungrier and eat more (again, a lot more some days) and it all evens out to a healthy amount of calories by the end of the week or month.

As for nutrition, its never been a concern even though some days I eat next to nothing. I eat nutritious food in general, follow my appetite and don't pay attention to vitamins and minerals at all other than to ensure I eat a reasonable variety of whole foods. I'm not deficient in anything and I don't supplement.

I was going to post something similar to this. Um, I guess I'm going to anyway... ;)

If we're talking a day here, a day there, I wouldn't worry too much about if you're undereating. Like AV mentioned, if you have a reasonable deficit after a week or so, you'll probably be fine. If you're continually undereating, then you might want to take a closer look at things.
  • brighteststitcher
    brighteststitcher Posts: 62 Member
    The ketovangelist always says to eat when hungry, stop when full. I have a hard time with this myself. A lifetime of ingrained behaviors, I guess.
  • ikkinr20
    ikkinr20 Posts: 27 Member
    Thanks to all these replies. I feel a lot better hearing what you all have to say. As for my stats in answer to MFP moderator's questions, I eat anywhere from 1100 to 1500 cal per day. I don't supplement with pills, but I drink an Amazing Grass brand chocolate superfood shake every morning with almond milk. I exercise at least 3 times per week and I put Himalayan Sea salt on everything. Sodium is always over but potassium never gets beyond halfway if that. No med issues. Rowdy Lady, I would love to join that group! Week 2 of keto and love it, believe in it already, but still feel very new! Thanks again everyone!!:D
  • psuLemon
    edited November 2016
    ikkinr20 wrote: »
    Thanks to all these replies. I feel a lot better hearing what you all have to say. As for my stats in answer to MFP moderator's questions, I eat anywhere from 1100 to 1500 cal per day. I don't supplement with pills, but I drink an Amazing Grass brand chocolate superfood shake every morning with almond milk. I exercise at least 3 times per week and I put Himalayan Sea salt on everything. Sodium is always over but potassium never gets beyond halfway if that. No med issues. Rowdy Lady, I would love to join that group! Week 2 of keto and love it, believe in it already, but still feel very new! Thanks again everyone!!:D

oh ok.. yea, i wouldn't worry and force yourself to eat. The way it came off, I thought you were going to say like 600-900 calories. But at those levels, you should be find with listening to your body.