Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

CICO is not the whole equation

Options

Replies

• geneticexpectations
    geneticexpectations Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    mph323 wrote: »
    Hornsby wrote: »
    It's odd as I have never noticed number 2 a single time in these boards...

Maybe I worded it badly. Let me try again. I seem to notice on these boards that many (not all, but many) who claim "it's all about CICO" seem to use this as justification to be able to include any food that can be purchased at a store within their diets.

I don't understand what's wrong with this. You can certainly get in your macros and micros eating any food that can be purchased at a store, it's not necessary to eat "clean", or remove "junk food" (whatever those words even mean) in order to lose weight and stay healthy. This argument continues to baffle me - it's as though people are saying if you eat "processed" food (again whatever that means) all the nutrients are sucked out of it.

Sounds more like someone needs justification on why not to eat it rather than the folks who apparently understand there is nothing wrong with any foods and have no reason to justify eating it, no?

ooooo zing!

Then..... why are you here?
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    There is what is, and then there is the story we keep telling ourselves...
  • geneticexpectations
    Options
    That's cool. I understand and accept that there is a difference in perception of what food means to each of us.

Let me ask another hopefully provocative question - and this is in the light that I am a quality over quantity guy, ie, I do "primal" dieting sticking to whole foods, buy all my meats pastured/grassfed from individual farmers etc.

WHO DO THE CEO's OF BIG FOOD LIKE BETTER?
    (ie, the people who make billions$$$$ off of non-whole foods, not like the farmers who I buy from who just get by).

Me

or

You (Referring to the people who responded to my recent post).

??????

Who cares? If you have ethical issues with where the food comes from, of course you should follow your beliefs. It doesn't apply to a debate over whether CICO is valid. Whether small farm or"big food" (SMH) sourced, food is food.

Ok. I'll reword the question.

WHO DO CEO's of BIG FOOD LIKE BETTER TO MAKE THEIR BUSINESS PLAN WORK???

People who think some foods are healthy and other foods are not?

or

People who think food is food

?????
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    That's cool. I understand and accept that there is a difference in perception of what food means to each of us.

Let me ask another hopefully provocative question - and this is in the light that I am a quality over quantity guy, ie, I do "primal" dieting sticking to whole foods, buy all my meats pastured/grassfed from individual farmers etc.

(ie, the people who make billions$$$$ off of non-whole foods, not like the farmers who I buy from who just get by).

Me

or

??????

Who cares? If you have ethical issues with where the food comes from, of course you should follow your beliefs. It doesn't apply to a debate over whether CICO is valid. Whether small farm or"big food" (SMH) sourced, food is food.

or

?????

Again, not applicable to a debate over CICO. Why are you so hung up on "big food"'s marketing strategies? It's really a topic for a separate debate.
  • geneticexpectations
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »

Me

or

??????

Who cares?

You seriously don't care about that??? Really???
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options

Me

or

??????

Who cares?

You seriously don't care about that??? Really???

No, I don't...
  • geneticexpectations
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

Me

or

??????

I'm not sure why you think this would be a provocative question...

It doesn't make a lot of sense, to begin with. Why would a CEO of a company like Nabisco "like" any of us? Do we know them? Do we care whether they "like" us or not?

From an economic perspective, CEO's want to please consumers and thus sell more of their products at a higher profit margin. If you choose not to purchase their products, that is your choice. You are a demographic that is not in their current market share. They can decide whether to try to develop products/marketing tools that does appeal to you as a consumer, or they can ignore you and focus on consumers that they feel they can sell more products at a higher margin too.

I'm not sure what conclusion you thought would be drawn from this scenario?

I admire your level of trust. You don't think that on such a scale, many of these people have "sold their soul"??
  • geneticexpectations
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I stopped worrying about who liked me or did not like me in high school...

When it comes to popularity, you should.

When it comes to victimizing, you shouldn't.

Corporate sharks like victims.
  • geneticexpectations
    Options

Me

or

??????

or

?????

Again, not applicable to a debate over CICO. Why are you so hung up on "big food"'s marketing strategies? It's really a topic for a separate debate.

I don't see how it isn't applicable to CICO. "Food is Food" seems to be a synonym for "it's all about CICO".
  • geneticexpectations
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    I stopped worrying about who liked me or did not like me in high school...

When it comes to popularity, you should.

When it comes to victimizing, you shouldn't.

Corporate sharks like victims.

Who is a victim? People who choose to spend their money on these products? How does consumer choice in a free market society make someone a victim?

If you can't believe that some of those consumer choices do in fact harm you, then you can't envision yourself a victim.