Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

CICO is not the whole equation

Options
RobynTheresa
RobynTheresa Posts: 15 Member
I've been watching the CICO discussions on this forum with interest. CICO is definitely not a myth, however for optimal health it is not the only consideration for weight loss. Healthy bodies function better, burn calories better, build lean muscle mass better.

Those who maintain it is a calorie deficit only that matters and eating Big Macs and Coke will suffice are overlooking the micronutrient balances required for optimal health. Magnesium, potassium, calcium, zinc, the vitamins. While young people may cope without the appropriate nutritional balance, they may pay for those deficits later in life.

This is NOT to say one cannot and should not have treats. I certainly do. I have some Lindt dark chocolate in the fridge, a bottle of Black Bacardi lying around and some 140 ml Mars ice-creams in the freezer (131 calories they are). But I have to earn them.

If you are on a 1,200 calorie goal you do need to eat back your exercise calories. Yesterday I did 1.5 hours at the gym including 45 minutes of strength training which Garmin Connect kindly told me was worth 307 calories. I can't fuel that on 1,200 calories. Overall my food intake yesterday was 1,536 calories, but my net was 1,052 (my total active calories was 484). And yes I lost weight on the scales this morning.

I have auto-immune conditions, so am on a raft of medications. For months I was physically incapable of doing much due to these conditions. So healthy eating (with treats) has become my mantra. None of us know what our bodies may do in the future, or what is already lurking, waiting to strike. Take care of your bodies.

Oh, and drink more water. Most people aren't drinking nearly enough. The ones who are: terrific!!

Replies

• DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    It's not the whole equation. It is not simple addition and subtraction. There are other variables that influence the calculations. Change the variables and change the formula.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »
    It's not the whole equation. It is not simple addition and subtraction. There are other variables that influence the calculations. Change the variables and change the formula.

A subtraction does not become something else by changing the variables. X - Y = Z regardless what X and Y are.
    I'm saying that there is another factor or variable ex. (A)(X-Y)=?
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    I've asked this before on threads like this and I'll ask it again.

Please provide evidence that there are regular forum users regularly telling people to eat what they want, regardless of nutrients and meeting macro and micro needs because that doesn't matter. Thus far I've had crickets to this request so fingers crossed this time.........

Just search "eat what you want" in the forums, there are plenty of replies saying "yes you can eat whatever you want" and there's no mention of other nutrients. Some people do mention nutrients, but a lot don't.