Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

CICO is not the whole equation

Options

Replies

• msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    You're right. It isn't.

It's a good place to start though...
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Cityruss, I am not going to dissect your response. If you don't understand where I'm coming from, that's fine. Fell free to ask questions. At no point did I say CICO was not a valid formula. Of course it is simple physics. My point is ALONE it is not NECESSARILY healthy and I read way to many comments on these forums saying it is.

And yes, chocolate, alcohol and ice-cream are perfectly fine IN MODERATION. Yes, earn them - if I have spare calories, I can have a treat. Your objection would be?

Not sure why you think my earning is "disordered", but nevermind.

You didn't want to dissect it, but it's a shame you ignored the extremely valid question of:
    cityruss wrote: »

Who are these proponents of an all big Mac and coke diet, and where are he people that are following this all big Mac and coke diet?

Exactly. No one who makes the arguments like the OP ever answers this question. Ever.

Just like no one on these boards ever advises people to eat nothing but donuts and Big Macs within their calorie goals. Ever.

There is a difference in people saying "there are no inherently bad foods - it is overall diet that matters" and people saying "absolutely, eat all Pop-Tarts all the time - it'll be great!"

I am one of the biggest proponents on this board of "There Are No Bad Foods", since a diet of all Big Macs is just as bad as a diet of all broccoli. But no one eats that way, and no one on these boards advises anyone to eat that way. I don't understand where people get this idea from.

Exactly this.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    msf74 wrote: »
    You're right. It isn't.

It's a good place to start though...

I really wanted to avoid this thread but I can't help it.....

Your beard is amazing.

Ok carry on.

I second this!
  • T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    cityruss wrote: »
    I'm going for a big Mac.

Why waste your time, go for a baconator.

x0kamnrhgnht.jpg

I do love bacon basket weaving into shapes.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    ...CICO is definitely not a myth, however for optimal health it is not the only consideration for weight loss.

I'm not sure I agree. CICO is the only thing you need for weight loss. However, I am in agreement with you that for health, CICO is not the only thing you need. Building more muscle means your body burns calories more efficiently and even burns more just existing. I'm sure there's a break even point at which more muscle even means that you burn more calories than the average person which is a good thing. For optimal health you need a good mix of healthy fats, protein, and carbs. So I don't disagree with you 100%, just in the point at which more is needed than CICO for weight loss. For health and fitness, yes, more is needed, but for weight loss alone, I would have to disagree.