Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

CICO is not the whole equation

Options

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »
    SideSteel wrote: »
    msf74 wrote: »
    You're right. It isn't.

It's a good place to start though...

I really wanted to avoid this thread but I can't help it.....

Your beard is amazing.

Ok carry on.

Cheers man.

Just wish I had grown it when I was single. Bush attracts bush, ne'er I mean?

I'm talking about gardening you bunch of reprobates...

HAHAHAHAHAHAH
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Maybe OP is honing in on the "I eat what i want and only pay attention to calories" posts??
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    Oy with the poodles already!
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Hamsibian wrote: »

25 DAYS!!!
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    Hamsibian wrote: »

25 DAYS!!!

I am so excited!!! Doesn't the quote seem to fit with so many threads on this site? :D

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Weight loss can improve health. Eating a certain way can improve health. Health is a complicated individual thing though. What one person needs to do to be healthy can be different than another person.
    What you need to do to lose weight boils down to the same for everyone though. CICO= weight management
    Nutrition= eat a variety of foods to meet your body's needs. This is somewhat different depending on size, age, activity level, health conditions, goals.
    About water- Drink enough fluids to your thirst level or until your urine is light/clear. Doesn't have to be just water.

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    Maybe OP is honing in on the "I eat what i want and only pay attention to calories" posts??

Maybe, but that doesn't mean that person is automatically malnourished or thinking that they don't need nutrition.

I eat what I want when I want and only pay attention to calories. I just eat something like 2500 calories and I would have to eat a pretty weird diet to not recieve my nutirtion from that. As it turns out sometimes I want a salad, sometimes I'd like a carrot, sometimes I want tacobell, sometimes I want a slice of pizza. If you look at my diary (which is open) you'll see I'm generally hitting my nutritional needs.

If you do look do note I don't usually bother to list salad greens I just list the dressing or toppings, so i actually am getting more dietary fiber than it seems like I am.

LOL and here i was all ready to give you a lecture on how you don't eat enough greens :wink:

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »
    I've asked this before on threads like this and I'll ask it again.

Please provide evidence that there are regular forum users regularly telling people to eat what they want, regardless of nutrients and meeting macro and micro needs because that doesn't matter. Thus far I've had crickets to this request so fingers crossed this time.........

It all matters. That is the point. Subject of thread is that CICO is not the whole equation.

In the simplest terms, not as to weight loss because eating less than you burn is an absolute requirement.

I personally prefer eating what I think is a nutritionally sound diet, but if I don't I will still lose weight as long as I eat less calories than I burn.

@RobynTheresa, why would you have to earn the right to a treat? Why not work it into your calorie goals?

And, you're proud you netted 1000 calories or so. That's a VLCD, and indicates disordered eating.
    DebSozo wrote: »
    It's not the whole equation. It is not simple addition and subtraction. There are other variables that influence the calculations. Change the variables and change the formula.

Nope.

Weight loss -> CICO

Health, Satiety, Compliance, Satisfaction -> Macronutrient Partitioning and selection

Honestly, I gave an analogy about this yesterday.

Go into Home Depot. Pretend you're remodeling your kitchen. Stand there in the tile aisle. And seriously tell the person helping you, when she asks you how many square feet of tile you need, "Well, see, it's not just the amount of tile, it comes down to the type of tile you use."

The yardstick you measure fabric with isn't the fabric.

Additionally: Giant strawman of Big Mac all the time vs. healthy all the time rears its ugly head. Really?

And, this.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

If you are on a 1,200 calorie goal you do need to eat back your exercise calories. Yesterday I did 1.5 hours at the gym including 45 minutes of strength training which Garmin Connect kindly told me was worth 307 calories. I can't fuel that on 1,200 calories. Overall my food intake yesterday was 1,536 calories, but my net was 1,052 (my total active calories was 484). And yes I lost weight on the scales this morning.

You didn't lose a measurable amount of fat in one day.

Correct. It was most likely natural fluctuation.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options

NM