If it's all in the math, why did I gain?

Options
joowelz
joowelz Posts: 170 Member
edited November 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
I have been logging for almost two months and started seeing a steady weight loss of 0.5 lbs every week. Over the past two weeks due to my impending period, I had crazy cravings and overate a few times. On a good day, I keep my calories in the 1650-1780 range (with intense jogging for 30 minutes four times a week.) On the three days I seriously overate, I consumed between 2,000-2,600 calories.

My confusion is this: If those extra calories from overeating did not add up to 3,500 more calories per week to cause one pound of fat gain (or even 1700 calories to create a half a pound), why did I gain a pound?

If weekly weight loss comes down to creating a calorie deficit of 250-500 calories per day, shouldn't weight gain demand an equal formula of an additional 250-500 calories consumed per day, or a total of 1700-3500 extra calories consumed per week?

It was too easy to gain weight so I am confused. What would my maintenance mode caloric intake have to be then??

Know what I mean?

Thanks,
NK

Replies

• joowelz
    joowelz Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    @daniip_la But over a three week period? Doesn't water weight come and go for a maximum of a few days?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Water weight
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Water weight
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    It does come down to math. The problem is your variables are fuzzy.
    Do you know exactly how much you ate? I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you weighed and measured everything and were at least close.

People are always confounded by the calorie out part of the equation though. They look up what the AVERAGE daily burn is for someone of their weight/sex/size, and assume that this is gospel. Then they exercise, take as gospel a table that says what someone of their weight/sex/size is likely burning, and then assume that the formula is wrong if they don't lose/gain.

Look, the formula is right, your inputs need to be adjusted. If your metabolism is lower than average for some reason (sedentary, illness, lifelong dieter), then adjust the variables....
  • lemayinc
    lemayinc Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    It also depends on WHAT you ate, not just how much you ate. If you ate a bunch of fat or sugar, that will convert to additional weight more quickly unless you're offsetting with exercise (although you said you're doing that). My best advice is to NOT weigh every day, just once a week and when you have a bad day or days, re-focus on your goal and move forward. Sometimes you'll gain pounds, but lose inches, especially when you're working out!! It's not all about calories and the number on the scale. It's about building lean muscle mass, looking good and most importantly - FEELING GOOD!!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    nkuyumcu wrote: »
    I have been logging for almost two months and started seeing a steady weight loss of 0.5 lbs every week. Over the past two weeks due to my impending period, I had crazy cravings and overate a few times. On a good day, I keep my calories in the 1650-1780 range (with intense jogging for 30 minutes four times a week.) On the three days I seriously overate, I consumed between 2,000-2,600 calories.

My confusion is this: If those extra calories from overeating did not add up to 3,500 more calories per week to cause one pound of fat gain (or even 1700 calories to create a half a pound), why did I gain a pound?

If weekly weight loss comes down to creating a calorie deficit of 250-500 calories per day, shouldn't weight gain demand an equal formula of an additional 250-500 calories consumed per day, or a total of 1700-3500 extra calories consumed per week?

It was too easy to gain weight so I am confused. What would my maintenance mode caloric intake have to be then??

Know what I mean?

Thanks,
    NK

Body weight isn't some static number...it fluctuates all of the time. It is fairly common to lose weight steadily in the beginning, but as you go along fluctuations are going to come into play. This is why you need to look at trends over time, not individual data points...

You mention that you did eat more than normal on some days...well, the food you eat has mass and thus weight...and the waste that is produced has mass and thus weight...if you eat more you're going to have more inherent waste in you and that's going to show up on the scale.

It's also pretty common to see an increase on the scale with approaching menstrual cycles due to water retention.

• Raptor2763
    Raptor2763 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Two points: (a) What you eat is important, how much is key, but WHEN is equally critical. Try and space your meals and snacks about 2-1/2 hours apart and don't go to bed until dinner is at least 3 hours in the rearview mirror. (b) Don't eat your exercise calories. Just because your calorie budget went up because of exercise doesn't mean you can eat them back. To lose weight, you must create a calorie deficit - try for about a 25% calorie deficit, bearing in mind the three W's I previously mentioned, and you should see results in a couple days.