If it's all in the math, why did I gain?

Options

Replies

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Raptor2763 wrote: »
    Two points: (a) What you eat is important, how much is key, but WHEN is equally critical. Try and space your meals and snacks about 2-1/2 hours apart and don't go to bed until dinner is at least 3 hours in the rearview mirror. (b) Don't eat your exercise calories. Just because your calorie budget went up because of exercise doesn't mean you can eat them back. To lose weight, you must create a calorie deficit - try for about a 25% calorie deficit, bearing in mind the three W's I previously mentioned, and you should see results in a couple days.

Nope.

OP, I concur with everyone else in this thread who has said water weight.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Two points: (a) What you eat is important, how much is key, but WHEN is equally critical. Try and space your meals and snacks about 2-1/2 hours apart and don't go to bed until dinner is at least 3 hours in the rearview mirror. (b) Don't eat your exercise calories. Just because your calorie budget went up because of exercise doesn't mean you can eat them back. To lose weight, you must create a calorie deficit - try for about a 25% calorie deficit, bearing in mind the three W's I previously mentioned, and you should see results in a couple days.

When you eat is completely irrelevant for all but competitive athletes/bodybuilders. For the average dieter/fitness minded individual, it makes no difference whatsoever.

Cool! I'm gonna eat in 2017 and 2019 but not at all during 2018. I'm not a body builder.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options

When you eat is completely irrelevant for all but competitive athletes/bodybuilders. For the average dieter/fitness minded individual, it makes no difference whatsoever.

Cool! I'm gonna eat in 2017 and 2019 but not at all during 2018. I'm not a body builder.

Welp...timing is everything, so.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

Touche?
  • lemayinc
    lemayinc Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    lemayinc wrote: »
    It also depends on WHAT you ate, not just how much you ate. If you ate a bunch of fat or sugar, that will convert to additional weight more quickly unless you're offsetting with exercise (although you said you're doing that). My best advice is to NOT weigh every day, just once a week and when you have a bad day or days, re-focus on your goal and move forward. Sometimes you'll gain pounds, but lose inches, especially when you're working out!! It's not all about calories and the number on the scale. It's about building lean muscle mass, looking good and most importantly - FEELING GOOD!!

Load of rubbish! Ignore this OP

• SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    How is this rubbish?? I lost 84 lbs so I'm pretty sure I know a little bit about it, I'm talking hard earned knowledge here, not BOOK knowledge or what "the experts" say. I often lost inches, not numbers on the scale & actually gained numbers on the scale when I started to build lean muscle mass!!! Not to mention that I'm just trying to help!! If what I say is different than what you believe....so what?? You don't have to be a dick about it, I'm just trying to encourage someone who's struggling & asking for ideas. How about promoting what you think is right & not bashing what you don't believe to be true? Have a great day!!!!

In fairness, the only problematic part of your original post was the part about "fat and sugar quickly turning into fat". Foods high in fat and sugar tend to be high calorie for low satiety, but there's no magic that turns them into fat any faster than any other food (other than the "convince you to eat more food" factor).

The rest of your advice was fine (though I personally do better weighing daily to numb myself to fluctuations).
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    "A pint's a pound the world around."

Retaining just 2 cups of additional fluids in your tissues will make you gain a pound.

The math holds at the macro level, not the micro level. Over time, the math works out when viewed "from above." But human bodies are complicated and while you're observing it moment by moment "on the ground," you're going to see variations. LOTS of variations.

Relax about the single data points and pay attention to the longer term trends.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    How is this rubbish?? I lost 84 lbs so I'm pretty sure I know a little bit about it, I'm talking hard earned knowledge here, not BOOK knowledge or what "the experts" say. I often lost inches, not numbers on the scale & actually gained numbers on the scale when I started to build lean muscle mass!!! Not to mention that I'm just trying to help!! If what I say is different than what you believe....so what?? You don't have to be a dick about it, I'm just trying to encourage someone who's struggling & asking for ideas. How about promoting what you think is right & not bashing what you don't believe to be true? Have a great day!!!!

Everything in your first post is wrong and not the right advice for this particular situation.

Not even sure where you got this sugar stuff from, and also not weighing every day.. and I guess everyone should refocus to what you do.. sorry but no.

• stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    savithny wrote: »

I've never heard this phrase. It puzzles me. A pint of water (568ml, weighing 568g) weighs considerably more than a pound (454g).

How about "A litre's a kilo, however you feel-o"?

g/lb = 453.59237 (please excuse the obnoxious precision)

One cup (liquid measure) = 8 fl oz = 235ml = 235g

x2 for 470g

Not exactly a lb, but close enough for a legitimate folk-saying
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Stress. When sympathetic nervous system is the driver, you could actually gain weight in a supposed deficit.

/ShotsfiredCICOpeeps
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »

I've never heard this phrase. It puzzles me. A pint of water (568ml, weighing 568g) weighs considerably more than a pound (454g).

x2 for 470g

UK pint is 568ml, so I'm going with Catt's phrase!
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options

This sounds like a bunch of HOOPLA!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »

x2 for 470g

UK pint is 568ml, so I'm going with Catt's phrase!

So if you order a pint in the UK you get an extra 3 ounces of beer than if you got a pint in the US (16 oz vs 19oz)