If it's all in the math, why did I gain?

Options

Replies

• jdwils14
    jdwils14 Posts: 154 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    This thread is hillaaaaarious!

How did we go from "is a pound a pound," to quoting (non?)scientific studies on obesity predisposition (and their critiques)?

Derailment successful!
  • jdwils14
    jdwils14 Posts: 154 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    RIP Harambe
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    In!

Or, I guess, now - OUT!
  • lemayinc
    lemayinc Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Good luck to everyone, I didn't enjoy this "forum" at all. Too much perfection and "my way is right, yours is wrong" here!! I won't be posting again. Well done.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    lemayinc wrote: »
    Good luck to everyone, I didn't enjoy this "forum" at all. Too much perfection and "my way is right, yours is wrong" here!! I won't be posting again. Well done.

So you'd rather have people not point out things that are scientifically incorrect and allow others to follow bad advice? Ok.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    Back to the original question.

Weight loss is not linear and there will be daily fluctuations. Having weighed myself daily for years, I see these "typical" fluctuations in the upward direction:
    1. Water retention from hormones
    2. Water retention from sodium
    3. Water retention from extreme muscle soreness
    4. A temporary increase from having eaten more than my allotted calories the day before. This goes away the next day.

Check out an app such as "Happy Scale" that will use a calculation to smooth out the daily fluctuations and will let you know if you're actually gaining or just having a fluctuation.
  • Colt1835
    Colt1835 Posts: 447 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    You do know this is the internet, right? Sorry to inform you, but you won't find a forum without arguments.

ETA: This is one of the best forums I've ever had the pleasure to participate in , and I'm somewhat of a forum junkie.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options

Im sure the LCHF group would have a rebuttal to your stance on too much fat makes you fatter.
    You wholeheartedly believe what you posted so dont just leave, stand up for it and back it.

Just like if we dont think what you or anyone else on this forum is saying is correct, science and mathematically speaking, something will be said.
    It doesnt make people meanies- its called a debate- if nothing else, a conversation.

Stick around you may learn some things and can then share those things with others. Therefore making this forum purposeful for you. :)
  • hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    "impending period" is your answer. :) Its normal to bloat and gain temporary weight while on your period. :)
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    @lemayinc @WinoGelato
    A lot of the comedians are bemoaning the fact that millennials condemn anyone who disagrees with them, or calls them on their incorrect/flawed beliefs.

Its part of the "we're all winners" mentality. "We all have our own opinions, we're all right"

As DP Moynihan said, "You're entitled to your own opinion, but not your own facts"
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Bye "science doesn't apply" Felicia!
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Stress. When sympathetic nervous system is the driver, you could actually gain weight in a supposed deficit.

/ShotsfiredCICOpeeps

I've found that for me stress leads to weight loss. Currently in the middle of a very stressful period (getting our house ready to sell, putting in offers on other houses, dealing with financing /inspection crap), and I've dropped several pounds since this situation started. I'm not tracking my calorie intake at all right now due to the craziness (for example- spent over an hour today trying to find my daughter's retainer which we think got packed in a moving box :p ), and we're pretty much living off of fast food right now. Turns out stress is a great weight loss method for me, too bad I'm in maintenance lol.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    annaskiski wrote: »
    @lemayinc @WinoGelato
    A lot of the comedians are bemoaning the fact that millennials condemn anyone who disagrees with them, or calls them on their incorrect/flawed beliefs.

Its part of the "we're all winners" mentality. "We all have our own opinions, we're all right"

As DP Moynihan said, "You're entitled to your own opinion, but not your own facts"

Yeah, I've seen way more people in their 40s and up who acted that way on here than any millennial.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Raptor2763 wrote: »
    Two points: (a) What you eat is important, how much is key, but WHEN is equally critical. Try and space your meals and snacks about 2-1/2 hours apart and don't go to bed until dinner is at least 3 hours in the rearview mirror. (b) Don't eat your exercise calories. Just because your calorie budget went up because of exercise doesn't mean you can eat them back. To lose weight, you must create a calorie deficit - try for about a 25% calorie deficit, bearing in mind the three W's I previously mentioned, and you should see results in a couple days.

When you eat is completely irrelevant for all but competitive athletes/bodybuilders. For the average dieter/fitness minded individual, it makes no difference whatsoever.

Cool! I'm gonna eat in 2017 and 2019 but not at all during 2018. I'm not a body builder.

I heard about a guy who did that as an experiment.
    Super obese dude lived off his fat stores for a solid year, taking nothing but water, vitamin supplements and yeast (to keep gut flora alive, I suppose).
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Two points: (a) What you eat is important, how much is key, but WHEN is equally critical. Try and space your meals and snacks about 2-1/2 hours apart and don't go to bed until dinner is at least 3 hours in the rearview mirror. (b) Don't eat your exercise calories. Just because your calorie budget went up because of exercise doesn't mean you can eat them back. To lose weight, you must create a calorie deficit - try for about a 25% calorie deficit, bearing in mind the three W's I previously mentioned, and you should see results in a couple days.

When you eat is completely irrelevant for all but competitive athletes/bodybuilders. For the average dieter/fitness minded individual, it makes no difference whatsoever.

Cool! I'm gonna eat in 2017 and 2019 but not at all during 2018. I'm not a body builder.

I heard about a guy who did that as an experiment.
    Super obese dude lived off his fat stores for a solid year, taking nothing but water, vitamin supplements and yeast (to keep gut flora alive, I suppose).

Minesota Starvation Experiment comes to mind. Very interesting year long water fast on obese people.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options

Minesota Starvation Experiment comes to mind. Very interesting year long water fast on obese people.

Minnesota experiment was initially 1,560 calories a day for 24 weeks.
    This was adjusted by researchers to produce a 25% total weight loss over 24 weeks. Since they all started as close to "ideal" as the researchers could get them, this took them significantly below "ideal."

(Interestingly, I just looked up the "control" period when they were fed at maintenance before the reduction diet began. Maintenance was calculated at 3,200 calories a day for 12 weeks).
  • CaptainJoy
    CaptainJoy Posts: 257 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »

So much wrong in this post, OP just ignore. What you eat and when you eat has next to no impact on weight loss (other than water weight) You can eat 100% of your cals before bed and you will still lose weight. Meal timing should be based on preference and performance.

I have always eaten my exercise calories as those extra calories give me extra energy. Still, do not ignore the "when." When I start feeling sluggish, fatigued, or hungry I snack or have a meal. It has an impact on my TDEE. I bounce around and am more energetic after my snacks and meals. I use more energy which means my calories out increase. If I expend more energy after eating or drinking but I don't increase my calories in I lose weight. This is why people say not to eat shortly before bedtime. The energy you receive from your intake of calories won't be used the same way while you're sleeping. They won't increase your calories out or your TDEE.