If it's all in the math, why did I gain?

Options
1235»

Replies

• CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Raptor2763 wrote: »
    Two points: (a) What you eat is important, how much is key, but WHEN is equally critical. Try and space your meals and snacks about 2-1/2 hours apart and don't go to bed until dinner is at least 3 hours in the rearview mirror. (b) Don't eat your exercise calories. Just because your calorie budget went up because of exercise doesn't mean you can eat them back. To lose weight, you must create a calorie deficit - try for about a 25% calorie deficit, bearing in mind the three W's I previously mentioned, and you should see results in a couple days.

When you eat is completely irrelevant for all but competitive athletes/bodybuilders. For the average dieter/fitness minded individual, it makes no difference whatsoever.

Cool! I'm gonna eat in 2017 and 2019 but not at all during 2018. I'm not a body builder.

I heard about a guy who did that as an experiment.
    Super obese dude lived off his fat stores for a solid year, taking nothing but water, vitamin supplements and yeast (to keep gut flora alive, I suppose).

That was Angus Barbieri, he ate nothing for over a year.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    savithny wrote: »

Minesota Starvation Experiment comes to mind. Very interesting year long water fast on obese people.

Minnesota experiment was initially 1,560 calories a day for 24 weeks.
    This was adjusted by researchers to produce a 25% total weight loss over 24 weeks. Since they all started as close to "ideal" as the researchers could get them, this took them significantly below "ideal."

(Interestingly, I just looked up the "control" period when they were fed at maintenance before the reduction diet began. Maintenance was calculated at 3,200 calories a day for 12 weeks).

Ah I must have confused the title with another study. Thanks for the info
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    CaptainJoy wrote: »
    erickirb wrote: »
    Raptor2763 wrote: »
    Two points: (a) What you eat is important, how much is key, but WHEN is equally critical. Try and space your meals and snacks about 2-1/2 hours apart and don't go to bed until dinner is at least 3 hours in the rearview mirror. (b) Don't eat your exercise calories. Just because your calorie budget went up because of exercise doesn't mean you can eat them back. To lose weight, you must create a calorie deficit - try for about a 25% calorie deficit, bearing in mind the three W's I previously mentioned, and you should see results in a couple days.

So much wrong in this post, OP just ignore. What you eat and when you eat has next to no impact on weight loss (other than water weight) You can eat 100% of your cals before bed and you will still lose weight. Meal timing should be based on preference and performance.

I have always eaten my exercise calories as those extra calories give me extra energy. Still, do not ignore the "when." When I start feeling sluggish, fatigued, or hungry I snack or have a meal. It has an impact on my TDEE. I bounce around and am more energetic after my snacks and meals. I use more energy which means my calories out increase. If I expend more energy after eating or drinking but I don't increase my calories in I lose weight. This is why people say not to eat shortly before bedtime. The energy you receive from your intake of calories won't be used the same way while you're sleeping. They won't increase your calories out or your TDEE.

Your metabolism changes while you're asleep and metabolizes things differently? Or stops metabolizing nutrients?

(Hint: No, it doesn't.)