Coke, Soda, Pop. HELP

Options
124»

Replies

• melaniedscott
    melaniedscott Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    mparker87 wrote: »
    I love Coke too. Especially McDonald's Coke, it just tastes 10x better than the rest for some reason. When I first started tracking, I switched to the mini cans because I could spare 90-100 calories. But for the last several months I've tried to only drink one or two on the weekends. I cannot tell a difference between Coke Zero and Diet Coke and I hate them both. I'd rather drink water than anything with artificial sweetener in it.

The taste difference between places with soda fountains comes from the ratio of carbonated water to syrup...they buy stand alone syrup and carbonate on site...some places use more syrup than others.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Has anyone seen Pepsi Zero Sugar?

It that similar to Máx?
    I see rebates for it on Ibotta.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    Okay! So, I have logged my food for 10 days now. Really to get a gist of what my daily intake is without counting. Let me tell you.....It was disgusting!!
    I have a terrible addiction to Coke (the soft drink)
    I am right there with you - I used to drink tons of regular coke all the time. I would drink it because I was tired - found out I had narcolepsy and went on meds for it but that didn't stop me from drinking the coke still. I have quit cold turkey before (bad idea - felt awful for a week) and then after a year started drinking it a lot again. I finally decided to cut back again, and this time I did it gradually, and since it is really hard to *kitten* both the sugar and caffeine at the same time (not that sugar is bad - I am very pro-sugar- just I used to have a lot of it) I decided to also try to find a substitute for the caffeine. I can't stand coffee, so I went with a different option. Between that and the gradual decrease I was able to totally cut out the soda. If you don't mind the taste of diet you could try that instead (I find all diet drinks disgusting so that didn't help me) or you could gradually try to decrease your intake if you want. But it is ok to have soda if you really want it - I do, I just fit it in my calories for the day (I had one today actually because I had a headache and I find it helps). I just don't have 8 in a day anymore (and yes I did have days like that in the past). IF you decide you want to cut back or quit I hope it works out for you,

YES! This is how I am with it. I don't like coffee so I drink regular coke in the morning (usually McDonald's) because I am tired. I literally nod out sometimes! I drink a lot more throughout the day. So, as you can imagine, the calories are adding up. I have tried numerous times to quit cold turkey only to have migraine like headaches. I have tried diet and zero but my stomach doesn't agree with artificial sweetner. I'm just trying to find something that works so I can lose weight and get healthy but not go insane in the process.

I don't drink coffee either and my morning routine is-wake up, hit the bathroom, weigh myself, stumble into the kitchen and grab a Coke zero lol. I drink it throughout the day, along with water and black tea mixed in for a bit of variety :)
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    I used to have an addiction to dr.pepper. Literally 3-4 cans a day! The withdrawals were horrible. Headaches, fainting (yes fainting!) Shivering among other symptoms.... I switched to juices like orange juice etc... then to sugar free flavoured water (2 calories per 500ml) I can't drink anything sweet anymore and I haven't had dr.pepper in more than 4 years!

Also I remember trying dr.pepper zero and it tasted like crap and everyone kept telling me that they "taste the same"

I drink between 4-6 cans a day of coke zero/diet coke and would never consider that a true addiction. I've quit cold turkey a few times, due to just getting bored with it, and it really wasn't a big deal. I upped my tea consumption to keep my caffeine levels the same and the only difference I really noticed was I saved some money :p
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    I do love Coke! I drink Coke Zero, which has 0 calorie but doesn't taste like diet.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    In my experience, I needed to quit drinking it for a long time (like 9-10 months) before I could reintroduce it and moderate it. I now drink full sugar soda 4-5 times a month, occasional diet soda, but I mostly stick to water and unsweetened iced tea. I don't crave it as much as I used to or eat much in the way of sweets at all, but sometimes a Coke or ginger ale is a great treat.

I also like flavored seltzer (no artificial sweetener) or plain club soda with a piece of citrus fruit or a tablespoon of pomegranate juice.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I used to have an addiction to dr.pepper. Literally 3-4 cans a day! The withdrawals were horrible. Headaches, fainting (yes fainting!) Shivering among other symptoms.... I switched to juices like orange juice etc... then to sugar free flavoured water (2 calories per 500ml) I can't drink anything sweet anymore and I haven't had dr.pepper in more than 4 years!

Also I remember trying dr.pepper zero and it tasted like crap and everyone kept telling me that they "taste the same"
    the only difference I really noticed was I saved some money :p
    People always try yo villify diet sosas and artificial sweetners when the only real issue is how expensive they can get :D

It's what makes me stick to a can a day
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I suggest you switch to sweet tea. Then after a couple of weeks your taste won't want Coke and you can start working on reducing the sugar in your tea.
  • jor3c
    jor3c Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I can empathize with your soda (coke) addiction as being a TX gal I was drinking 1+ 2-liter of Dr Pepper everyday...
    when I started trying to lose the extra weight I had packed on over the years Dr. Pepper and alcohol were cut entirely, so I could concentrate my calories each day on healthier foods...
    don't get me wrong it wasn't easy and occasionally I had the Dr. Pepper and I had to get out of some bad habits, like shopping & drinking a 20oz. Dr. Pepper as I shopped at the store etc....
    If I had a Dr. Pepper I didn't fret just logged it and kept moving on.
    It finally clicked with me after A LOT of diets etc...up and down weight that I needed to reset my mind and thinking that this is NOT easy term fix and the goals were high and seemingly overwhelming, so I cut my goals down to 5 lb increments and accounted for Everything I ate and drank realizing this was a Way of Life for me.
    I had to be able to maintain the momentum so therefore, it became easier as time went on to make the healthier choices.
    Some days when really stressed frazzled I sure as heck had the Dr. Pepper cravings and found that instead of a 2 liter I could get by with a small amount occasionally and still be Ok diet wise and goal wise.
    Staying away from the chemicals in a lot of the processed foods was a big help once I got passed the initial "withdrawal cravings" stage. Study after study shows that the chemicals added to foods and diet drinks are causing cancers, tumors and playing havoc on our bodies and that was something I wanted to stop doing to myself.
    But for each person I feel that is their personal choice to make. I just feel better and have better energy and all if I stay away from the chemicals and try to eat healthier.
    Portion sizes and measuring and weighing ALL of it each day was a Big eye opener for me and I have had to learn portion sizes are Not what I thought all my life...
    Good luck!!! it is a journey but be good to yourself and just take it a day at a time.