Vegetarian!

Options
2»

Replies

• littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Kids don't really care about meat on their plate so that's not a problem. Not sure of your living arrangement but my husband and I a lot of times just make our own meals individually. If I am making something he likes he'll eat it too which is more often than not. I'd start with Mexican food. Very easy to do vegetarian.
  • Meghanebk
    Meghanebk Posts: 321 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Awesome advice! I'm not really trying to do "little work" just don't wanna spend 3 hours cooking two-three different meals every night!
    :
    Is there some reason your housemate can't cook for themselves if they're is not willing to eat the same meal as you? They're an adult, they can learn to cook if they don't currently have the skills and are unwilling to eat what you make. Or barring that, they can share your main dish and add whatever they like to it to make it more tasty. You could google "vegetarian recipes for carnivores" and get a lot of hits on things they may be more willing to try.

The toddler is another issue, most of them are so very fixated on specific foods I'd just make whatever they're willing to eat. Try feeding them your new recipes though - my neice and nephews were surprisingly adventurous eaters at 4 years old. But only for some things.

• fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    Meghanebk wrote: »
    Awesome advice! I'm not really trying to do "little work" just don't wanna spend 3 hours cooking two-three different meals every night!
    :
    Is there some reason your housemate can't cook for themselves if they're is not willing to eat the same meal as you? They're an adult, they can learn to cook if they don't currently have the skills and are unwilling to eat what you make. Or barring that, they can share your main dish and add whatever they like to it to make it more tasty. You could google "vegetarian recipes for carnivores" and get a lot of hits on things they may be more willing to try.

The toddler is another issue, most of them are so very fixated on specific foods I'd just make whatever they're willing to eat. Try feeding them your new recipes though - my neice and nephews were surprisingly adventurous eaters at 4 years old. But only for some things.

some people and families have their lives set up where one person does the cooking. My husband can cook for himself but i dont work he pays all the bills so its how i contribute.
  • salyerssommer
    salyerssommer Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    :

I am the only person in the house who is able to cook.
  • ___sthach
    ___sthach Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I make vegan gluten free tacos! Can't tell the difference after putting some lime juice and hot sauce on it (or a good salsa). My bf, huge meat eater, didn't even realize I had him eating vegan and gluten free for 3 months LOL. Try some Southeast Asian dishes. We eat a lot of vegan food such as curries, rice noodle soups, stir fry veggies, and lemongrass tofu (sweet chili tofu is good too!) Can't wait to hear about your adventure! You will feel awesome! Lol
  • salyerssommer
    salyerssommer Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    ___sthach wrote: »
    I make vegan gluten free tacos! Can't tell the difference after putting some lime juice and hot sauce on it (or a good salsa). My bf, huge meat eater, didn't even realize I had him eating vegan and gluten free for 3 months LOL. Try some Southeast Asian dishes. We eat a lot of vegan food such as curries, rice noodle soups, stir fry veggies, and lemongrass tofu (sweet chili tofu is good too!) Can't wait to hear about your adventure! You will feel awesome! Lol

Girl, you gonna have to send me some recipes on this Asian food!
    I'm sending you a friend request right now! Lol.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    If you can find quark at your grocer it's very high in protein and like a thick yogurt ( I know you can make it too). Focus on beans, lentils peas eggs and yogurt if you are going lacto o o and will consume dairy n eggs. Cottage cheese is very filling. Making veggie burgers, tofu ( you need to cook it in something for flavor), seitan,if going with some boxed things I recommend litelife, quorn, Helen brands. Also there's lots to get creative with. Just look up vegan or vegetarian meals!
  • ModernRock
    ModernRock Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Hello! I am venturing into the vegetarian world and will be trying it for one month! I am the main cook and the household with a toddler and another person who won't go vegetarian.....

I've been a vegetarian for 21 years and my wife and kids eat meat. How you proceed will largely depend on how adventurous or tolerant they are with vegetables.

1. There are a lot of traditional meals and one-bowl entrees that don't include meat and nobody thinks of them as being "vegetarian." A good start would be a list of those options that everybody enjoys.

2. If they like vegetables, but still want some sort of meat with their meal, then that works well for you. Simply switch your mindset away from meat-based meals that accommodate you and instead prepare vegetable-based meals that accommodate them with a meat side or meat addition.

3. If they are picky about vegetables, then you're left fixing meals for them and accommodating yourself by eating multiple portions of veggie sides and/or splitting ingredients to make a meat version and veggie version. (For example, set aside some pasta sauce prior to adding meat.) I've cooked veggie and meat versions of the same dishes many, many times. This works well with some dishes better than others, but it always results in more dirty dishes.

4. Prepare foods you enjoy in advance, count the calories per serving, and divide them into serving size containers for later. Those items are good to eat when everybody else is chowing down on steak. I have a deep freezer, but it's often not necessary to freeze the containers because I don't mind eating the same thing for a few days. Also, it makes logging the calories really easy.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    i love being a vegan.....love all the fresh veggies and fruit. i so some protein shakes, greek yogurt and beans as some of my protein sources. nut butter is a good one as well as eggs! best of luck!

You're not vegan if you're eating greek yogurt...you also mentioned eggs, dairy, and fish in another thread...that would be Pescatarian....a far cry from being vegan.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    :

When you say "housemates" are you talking about roommates or is this family. When I had roommates, everyone fended for themselves for the most part...I was the only one with cooking abilities but I sure wasn't going to be making dinner for everyone, particularly if they were going to complain or be picky...

There are plenty of things they can eat which require little more than boiling water...if they expect you to cook for them then they should just shut up and eat what is on the menu...IMO, it's a pretty unrealistic expectation of a roommate. Also, pretty much if you can read, you can cook...
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    :

When you say "housemates" are you talking about roommates or is this family. When I had roommates, everyone fended for themselves for the most part...I was the only one with cooking abilities but I sure wasn't going to be making dinner for everyone, particularly if they were going to complain or be picky...

There are plenty of things they can eat which require little more than boiling water...if they expect you to cook for them then they should just shut up and eat what is on the menu...IMO, it's a pretty unrealistic expectation of a roommate. Also, pretty much if you can read, you can cook...

does it matter if she means family or housemates? she stated she is the only one who can cook so lets move on from that minute fact snd help her with what shes asked for.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    :
    Is there some reason your housemate can't cook for themselves if they're is not willing to eat the same meal as you? They're an adult, they can learn to cook if they don't currently have the skills and are unwilling to eat what you make.
    But why should they have to change their diet and go vegetarian just because she did?

• DanyellMcGinnis
    DanyellMcGinnis Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian since August 1993. So 23+ years. I don't get too many recipes off the internet because of the variable quality of the sources (some are great, some have terrible typos that could lead to recipe fails, some are in between, and it is not always easy to tell which is which just on sight).

I tend to go for cookbooks, instead. Here are some I like:

Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker by Robin Robertson (many recipes can be adapted for preparation on the stove top if you don't have a slow cooker, or just buy a slow cooker during a Black Friday sale later this month)

How to Cook Everything Vegetarian by Mark Bittman (lots of cheese, though, so maybe not the best for weight loss)

Mediterranean Harvest by Martha Rose Shulman

My husband is not a vegetarian but we eat/cook vegetarian at home.