Losing weight tips, any advice?

Options
Are there any tips or advice you could give to lose more weight and become more fit? I've already reduced portion sizes, am drinking more water, and I already have a pedometer and walked 3 miles today. Should I start running? Investing in one of those waist trainer's some people on here are talking about? Or increase the number of times I work out in a day?Also, I have only had 2 rest days since I started working out.

Replies

• liznotyet
    liznotyet Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    running is great, complement it with strength and flexibility exercises like ballet, pilates, or yoga. Try not to lose weight too fast as it may be muscle and bone being consumed to meet your caloric needs. Seek out nutrient dense foods that are the least processed. Try to take your running outdoors or into the pool once in a while to cross-train your running muscles. Build muscle in your feet and toes. Vary your workouts whenever you can so you don't get bored. If exercise is not fun and no one is making you do it, will you keep doing it? :)
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Eat less food for starters or exercise more. You mean those slimmer belts that "help" you lose more fat around your waist? Yeah no those are *kitten*. Save your money. Put the work in and patience.
  • mgalovic01
    mgalovic01 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Switch from enriched wheat flour products such as some breads to whole grain products. They have a more time release carbohydrate that gives you more time to burn it off. Cut back on sweets and junk food. Switch from vegetable oil to extra virgin olive oil. Reduce or eliminate fried, greasy foods. Prepare your own meals instead of eating out. It is practically impossible to eat well eating out. Check out Pinterest for healthy recipes.
    Try to land more- so on your toes when you jog to take stress off your joints. Try speed walking, or power walking. That is a great workout. If you're wearing some workout clothes and maybe have a couple small hand weights, people will see you're just out trying to get some exercise, and you wont look so ridiculous walking funny.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Eat in a deficit with patience. Resistance training while losing weight will help retain muscle that you will otherwise lose while losing fat.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,178 Member
    Options
    Enter your information into MFP, select sedentary as your activity level, select the amount you want to lose each week (maybe 1 lb/week), and eat the number of calories MFP gives you. That number of calories has a deficit built into it.
  • renae161
    renae161 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Don't I need to upgrade my account for that?
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    renae161 wrote: »

No. This is what the free version of MFP gives you.
  • jolive7
    jolive7 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    "become fit" has nothing to do with food.. for that, you need to exercise. "Fit" means different things to different people but to me it has to do with cardiovascular health so running will help with that, however if you want "strength" then it would be resistance training
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    mgalovic01 wrote: »
    Switch from enriched wheat flour products such as some breads to whole grain products. They have a more time release carbohydrate that gives you more time to burn it off. Cut back on sweets and junk food. Switch from vegetable oil to extra virgin olive oil. Reduce or eliminate fried, greasy foods. Prepare your own meals instead of eating out. It is practically impossible to eat well eating out. Check out Pinterest for healthy recipes.
    Try to land more- so on your toes when you jog to take stress off your joints. Try speed walking, or power walking. That is a great workout. If you're wearing some workout clothes and maybe have a couple small hand weights, people will see you're just out trying to get some exercise, and you wont look so ridiculous walking funny.

All that is needed for weight loss is a calorie deficit.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,178 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options

No ... just click on My Home, go to Goals, and enter your details:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/my_goals

Then go to food, and start entering your food:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary

Then go to exercise, and start entering your exercise:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/exercise/diary

• Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

No ... just click on My Home, go to Goals, and enter your details:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/my_goals

Then go to food, and start entering your food:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary

Then go to exercise, and start entering your exercise:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/exercise/diary

And carefully scrutinize the food entries. There's lots of inaccuracy. It may take a little time to figure out which ones are closest to correct.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options

Nonsense.

Log everything accurately and you will lose. Over complicating with the latest FAD only leads to frustration and is usually not sustainable.

Good luck.

Edit to add that changing how you 'land' only changes where the stress is. It does not eliminate it. There's no correct way to run or walk. If you make changes, your chance of injury increases.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options

I agree with choosing naturally nutrient rich foods. I'd also choose low sugar if eating processed foods. Weigh everything. Eat s l o w l y.

Train. Follow a program. Build your strength foundation. Build your cv base. Play a sport or perform a regular activity you enjoy.

ETA: learning to land softly with plyometric type training I.e., box jumping can be a good skill to achieve.
  • renae161
    renae161 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I don't have a scale to weigh food. It's on my list of things to buy. And, for the most part I don't go out to eat as often as I used to. I really do need to buy new running shoes, but walmart does not have my size in right now.
  • kingdomtech
    kingdomtech Posts: 24 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I'm not sure what your weight currently is but I was too heavy to run when I started. I didn't change my diet when I started (just adjusted my portions) and I also started bike riding and shooting hoops (b/c I love basketball). Just eating less calories and doing outside stuff that I love, I lost 30lbs in 60 days! I currently have lost 55 lbs in 100 days. My advice is: make small changes, do activities you enjoy, don't drastically change your diet to start, and I like going to the success forums to read testimonies. It really inspires me. Good luck!

EDIT: BTW, I also DO NOT eat the extra calories I earn from exercise.
  • CrabbyCancerMama
    CrabbyCancerMama Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    strength training has helped me greatly transform my body. it helps your body continuously burn calories throughout the day. you will like the results versus just losing weight with little muscle tone, at least I do anyway
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    Are there any tips or advice you could give to lose more weight and become more fit? I've already reduced portion sizes, am drinking more water, and I already have a pedometer and walked 3 miles today. Should I start running? Investing in one of those waist trainer's some people on here are talking about? Or increase the number of times I work out in a day?Also, I have only had 2 rest days since I started working out.

Weight is lost in the kitchen.

Fitness is gained through exercise.

There are health benefits to both.

Reducing portion sizes is nice, but it is all about calories. Eat less than your body needs on a daily basis to lose weight. You could do smaller portions, but still be eating more calories than you need. That's why you have to count everything - and be as accurate as you can to eat at a deficit and drop weight. Shoot for a 250 - 500 calorie deficit per day.
  • mgalovic01
    mgalovic01 Posts: 388 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »

Nonsense.

Log everything accurately and you will lose. Over complicating with the latest FAD only leads to frustration and is usually not sustainable.

Good luck.

Edit to add that changing how you 'land' only changes where the stress is. It does not eliminate it. There's no correct way to run or walk. If you make changes, your chance of injury increases.

So, nutrition is nonsense, and eating healthy is a fad?
    I find counting calories tedious. It's not for everyone. Not to mention calories from fat take 0-3% of the calories they contain to digest. Carbs take 5-10%, and protein takes 20-30% of the calories it contains to digest. So you do the math. Simple carbs digest quicker than complex carbs leaving you with less time to burn them off. They also spike your blood sugar leading to a crash later.

If you're damaging your joints, changes need to me made. My suggestion does put more strain on your calves, but developing your calves is easier than repairing your joints.