Options

Replies

• mgalovic01
    mgalovic01 Posts: 388 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    mgalovic01 wrote: »
    You say counting calories is tedious - I say it's 10x as tedious to figure out what percentage of each meal is protein, carbohydrates and fat and then calculate the individual TEFs for each of them. Are you weighing each ingredient by grams and then using the food labels to precisely calculate your macro percentages before calculating the TEFs? Because that's the only way you're going to get any appreciable degree of accuracy.

I only count reps and sets. The point I was trying to make is that all calories are not equal. People need to learn nutrition if they want to be healthy.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    You say counting calories is tedious - I say it's 10x as tedious to figure out what percentage of each meal is protein, carbohydrates and fat and then calculate the individual TEFs for each of them. Are you weighing each ingredient by grams and then using the food labels to precisely calculate your macro percentages before calculating the TEFs? Because that's the only way you're going to get any appreciable degree of accuracy.

I only count reps and sets. The point I was trying to make is that all calories are not equal. People need to learn nutrition if they want to be healthy.

No one here will dispute that one needs to understand nutrition to eat healthy. In terms of calories being equal when applied to weight loss, they are. It doesn't take a person long to figure out, however, that long term it's important to eat well balanced nutritious meals that focus on the proper balance of macros and micros, the point being sustainability.
  • mgalovic01
    Options
    Rocknut53 wrote: »

No one here will dispute that one needs to understand nutrition to eat healthy. In terms of calories being equal when applied to weight loss, they are. It doesn't take a person long to figure out, however, that long term it's important to eat well balanced nutritious meals that focus on the proper balance of macros and micros, the point being sustainability.

But they're not equal in terms of weight loss. Simple carbs and sugars from enriched wheat flour products spike your blood sugar, give you little time to burn them off before being stored as fat, make your body acidic, and cause blood sugar to crash a little later, making you hungry again. They knock your body out of whack. That's why people get fat and develop diabetes. Not to mention vegetable oil that's in everything is really GMO soybean oil that's probably contributing to people having gall bladder problems.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Rocknut53 wrote: »

But they're not equal in terms of weight loss. Simple carbs and sugars from enriched wheat flour products spike your blood sugar, give you little time to burn them off before being stored as fat, make your body acidic, and cause blood sugar to crash a little later, making you hungry again. They knock your body out of whack. That's why people get fat and develop diabetes. Not to mention vegetable oil that's in everything is really GMO soybean oil that's probably contributing to people having gall bladder problems.

Yes, they are. Period. @AnvilHead I'm going to follow your lead, not in the mood to debate.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,125 Member
    Options
    renae161 wrote: »
    I don't have a scale to weigh food. It's on my list of things to buy.

They're inexpensive and you can find them anywhere. I picked up mine in my local grocery store for about $15.

• dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    Switch from enriched wheat flour products such as some breads to whole grain products. They have a more time release carbohydrate that gives you more time to burn it off. Cut back on sweets and junk food. Switch from vegetable oil to extra virgin olive oil. Reduce or eliminate fried, greasy foods. Prepare your own meals instead of eating out. It is practically impossible to eat well eating out. Check out Pinterest for healthy recipes.
    Try to land more- so on your toes when you jog to take stress off your joints. Try speed walking, or power walking. That is a great workout. If you're wearing some workout clothes and maybe have a couple small hand weights, people will see you're just out trying to get some exercise, and you wont look so ridiculous walking funny.

Nonsense.

Log everything accurately and you will lose. Over complicating with the latest FAD only leads to frustration and is usually not sustainable.

Good luck.

Edit to add that changing how you 'land' only changes where the stress is. It does not eliminate it. There's no correct way to run or walk. If you make changes, your chance of injury increases.

So, nutrition is nonsense, and eating healthy is a fad?
    I find counting calories tedious. It's not for everyone. Not to mention calories from fat take 0-3% of the calories they contain to digest. Carbs take 5-10%, and protein takes 20-30% of the calories it contains to digest. So you do the math. Simple carbs digest quicker than complex carbs leaving you with less time to burn them off. They also spike your blood sugar leading to a crash later.

If you're damaging your joints, changes need to me made. My suggestion does put more strain on your calves, but developing your calves is easier than repairing your joints.

Please do some research. You may be really surprised how incorrect this is. If I am wrong, please show me. I'm not interested in bro-science from random gym members. Only real science please.

Hopefully your achillies is up for the pounding. FWIW, I naturally run this way. Others I run with do not. At the end of the day, it makes little difference.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    ealthy is a fad?
    I find counting calories tedious. It's not for everyone. Not to mention calories from fat take 0-3% of the calories they contain to digest. Carbs take 5-10%, and protein takes 20-30% of the calories it contains to digest. So you do the math. Simple carbs digest quicker than complex carbs leaving you with less time to burn them off. They also spike your blood sugar leading to a crash later.

When it comes to losing weight, your body could care less where the calories come from. All it cares about is that there is a deficit in calories to cut weight. Twinkies, french fries, steamed broccoli, sockeye salmon, stir fry snow peas, orange juice, oatmeal, fresh fruit - the body doesn't care.

Count the calories. It's all about the calories.

• edena001
    edena001 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Waist trainer, has benefits and drawbacks obviously.
    Benefits:
    - when wearing you tend to eat smaller portions and feel full quicker
    - It will take a couple inches off your belly if you follow the instructions (see negative point)
    - It helps your posture a lot ! That's always a plus

Drawbacks:
    - Super uncomfy till you get used to it
    - Will only work properly if you're exercising alongside wearing it
    - Once you stop wearing it your waist will go back to normal
    - You need a different one depending on if it's just day or work out or sleep!
    - Every time you go down a bit in size you have to buy a size down to continue the waist training!

It's not a quick fix, it makes it even more important to exercise and especially work on strengthening your core / belly area as it stops strain on that area so can weaken that area if not careful.

It can be good if you just want to 'perfect' your figure before you go to a particular event. E.g. Wear it for a couple of weeks before you go to a fancy meal in a tight dress.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    edena001 wrote: »
    Waist trainer, has benefits and drawbacks obviously.
    Benefits:
    - when wearing you tend to eat smaller portions and feel full quicker
    - It will take a couple inches off your belly if you follow the instructions (see negative point)
    - It helps your posture a lot ! That's always a plus

Drawbacks:
    - Super uncomfy till you get used to it
    - Will only work properly if you're exercising alongside wearing it
    - Once you stop wearing it your waist will go back to normal
    - You need a different one depending on if it's just day or work out or sleep!
    - Every time you go down a bit in size you have to buy a size down to continue the waist training!

It's not a quick fix, it makes it even more important to exercise and especially work on strengthening your core / belly area as it stops strain on that area so can weaken that area if not careful.

It can be good if you just want to 'perfect' your figure before you go to a particular event. E.g. Wear it for a couple of weeks before you go to a fancy meal in a tight dress.

Or just avoid that *kitten* altogether and save yourself the time/money/discomfort.
  • renae161
    renae161 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the advice. I ended up doing a bit extra today with a jog/walk, so I did about 6.4 miles instead of 3 and I lost an additional 2 lbs from where I was yesterday. I have noticed looser clothes since the time I started working out, but my stomach is still on the pudgey side despite having done squats and other recommended exercises other than crunches for me.

I haven't noticed any real changes of my stomach slimming down. And, I'm still trying to figure out a solid workout schedule for myself. I also had to fast today for my doctor's visit, so I haven't really had anything today, but some fluffy bread from the bakery. I was jus about to head out for some Subway.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the advice. I ended up doing a bit extra today with a jog/walk, so I did about 6.4 miles instead of 3 and I lost an additional 2 lbs from where I was yesterday. I have noticed looser clothes since the time I started working out, but my stomach is still on the pudgey side despite having done squats and other recommended exercises other than crunches for me.

I haven't noticed any real changes of my stomach slimming down. And, I'm still trying to figure out a solid workout schedule for myself. I also had to fast today for my doctor's visit, so I haven't really had anything today, but some fluffy bread from the bakery. I was jus about to head out for some Subway.

Unfortunately, we can't spot reduce (such as the stomach). One just has to continue losing weight until the abdominal area slims up. For many of us, it is one of the "last" areas to experience reduction. It could take weeks to months for the stomach area gets down to your goal.
  • 70chevellegsp
    70chevellegsp Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Are there any tips or advice you could give to lose more weight and become more fit? I've already reduced portion sizes, am drinking more water, and I already have a pedometer and walked 3 miles today. Should I start running? Investing in one of those waist trainer's some people on here are talking about? Or increase the number of times I work out in a day?Also, I have only had 2 rest days since I started working out.

Tips:

1) You lose weight in the kitchen. Find your TDEE (google), and your meals should be less. 500 cal a day less will equate (generally) to 1# per week.
    2) While it is true that your body doesn't care if the calories come from vegetables, french fries or twinkies, if you are pairing your weightloss with a fitness/exercise plan, you'll want to also track your macros (Protein, Carbs, and Fats) While losing weight you WILL lose fat AND muscle, but if you don't get enough protein in your diet while losing, you'll lose MORE muscle than you want.

3) You become fit in the gym. Find an exercise program and stick to it. Whether it's walking x miles per day, running x miles per day, biking/mountain biking, cross fit, weight lifting, body building, etc, you have to have the discipline to set up a program and stick to it. My program consists of lifting weights 3 days a week, walking x miles 2-3 days a week in good weather or doing HIIT workouts 2 days a week in bad weather. I also hike and mountain bike for recreation on weekends.

If you find that the weight is coming off too fast :) with your calorie deficit and your workouts, you can increase your daily calories by 100 or so to keep it healthy. (plus it works in reverse also ;))
  • mgalovic01
    Options
    [/quote]

Please do some research. You may be really surprised how incorrect this is. If I am wrong, please show me. I'm not interested in bro-science from random gym members. Only real science please.

Hopefully your achillies is up for the pounding. FWIW, I naturally run this way. Others I run with do not. At the end of the day, it makes little difference. [/quote]

I've done my research, but I'm not about to spoon feed you. If you're really interested, you can research it for yourself, and offer a constructive rebuttal beyond just saying I'm incorrect, and give me something to go on.
    I'm not saying your Achilles isn't going to take a pounding. Just better that than destroying your joints. If it aint broke don't fix it. Frankly, I don't know how they do it, but what do I care. I'm only making suggestions based on my research and experience. If you run into a knee problem you can try it. I don't think there are many people out there who change their running technique for no reason.
  • mgalovic01
    Options
    ealthy is a fad?

When it comes to losing weight, your body could care less where the calories come from. All it cares about is that there is a deficit in calories to cut weight. Twinkies, french fries, steamed broccoli, sockeye salmon, stir fry snow peas, orange juice, oatmeal, fresh fruit - the body doesn't care.

And what about when you don't get enough iodine in your diet causing you develop either a hyperthyroid or a hypothyroid, and either blow up like blow fish or drop a ton of weight out of nowhere?
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options

I've done my research, but I'm not about to spoon feed you. If you're really interested, you can research it for yourself, and offer a constructive rebuttal beyond just saying I'm incorrect, and give me something to go on.
    I'm not saying your Achilles isn't going to take a pounding. Just better that than destroying your joints. If it aint broke don't fix it. Frankly, I don't know how they do it, but what do I care. I'm only making suggestions based on my research and experience. If you run into a knee problem you can try it. I don't think there are many people out there who change their running technique for no reason.

You made the post. Back it up. That's all. No spoon feeding needed.

I'll even get you started. Hasegawa et al., J Strength & Cond., 2007, (21), 888-893
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    ealthy is a fad?

And what about when you don't get enough iodine in your diet causing you develop either a hyperthyroid or a hypothyroid, and either blow up like blow fish or drop a ton of weight out of nowhere?

You're arguing nutrition against weight loss.....

A reduction of calories is ALL that is needed for weight loss.
  • renae161
    Options
    I'm not entirely sure what's happened on here since I last logged in...
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,125 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I'm not entirely sure what's happened on here since I last logged in...

Don't worry about it, just ...
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Enter your information into MFP, select sedentary as your activity level, select the amount you want to lose each week (maybe 1 lb/week), and eat the number of calories MFP gives you. That number of calories has a deficit built into it.

Have you done that yet?
  • renae161
    Options
    I went to the goal's section to enter everything, but it had already had all my information already entered.