Options
13»

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,178 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    renae161 wrote: »
    I went to the goal's section to enter everything, but it had already had all my information already entered.

OK ... so you must have entered your information when you signed up with MFP ... and what did it tell you as the amount you should eat?

• SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    mgalovic01 wrote: »
    ealthy is a fad?
    I find counting calories tedious. It's not for everyone. Not to mention calories from fat take 0-3% of the calories they contain to digest. Carbs take 5-10%, and protein takes 20-30% of the calories it contains to digest. So you do the math. Simple carbs digest quicker than complex carbs leaving you with less time to burn them off. They also spike your blood sugar leading to a crash later.

When it comes to losing weight, your body could care less where the calories come from. All it cares about is that there is a deficit in calories to cut weight. Twinkies, french fries, steamed broccoli, sockeye salmon, stir fry snow peas, orange juice, oatmeal, fresh fruit - the body doesn't care.

Count the calories. It's all about the calories.

And what about when you don't get enough iodine in your diet causing you develop either a hyperthyroid or a hypothyroid, and either blow up like blow fish or drop a ton of weight out of nowhere?

And the twist and turn to nutritional value - rather than weight loss.

For your the particular concern you raise of getting iodine in your diet, it's pretty hard to eat 3 squares a day (and snacks), 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year while avoiding iodine rich foods on a daily basis. One would have to work really, really hard not to ingest at least some of these every week...

30672665082_312c8509d1_b.jpg
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    And what about when you don't get enough iodine in your diet causing you develop either a hyperthyroid or a hypothyroid, and either blow up like blow fish or drop a ton of weight out of nowhere?

It really shouldn't be a problem for most of us considering the top iodine rich foods which most of us get at least some of daily/weekly...

30672665082_312c8509d1_c.jpg

• renae161
    renae161 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    It said 1,200 calories which doesn't seem right to me.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    It said 1,200 calories which doesn't seem right to me.

How much weight do you have to lose?

How tall are you and what is your age?

Did you tell MFP you wanted to lose 2lbs a week? If you have less than 100lbs to lose, the goal may be too aggressive.
  • renae161
    renae161 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I reset the app and now it says 1,350. I will private message you the other stuff.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,178 Member
    Options
    I reset the app and now it says 1,350. I will private message you the other stuff.

OK, that's fine.

Now see the tab labelled "Food"? Start weighing and logging all your food. Aim to keep your calories as close to 1350 as possible without going over.
  • mgalovic01
    mgalovic01 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »

I've done my research, but I'm not about to spoon feed you. If you're really interested, you can research it for yourself, and offer a constructive rebuttal beyond just saying I'm incorrect, and give me something to go on.
    I'm not saying your Achilles isn't going to take a pounding. Just better that than destroying your joints. If it aint broke don't fix it. Frankly, I don't know how they do it, but what do I care. I'm only making suggestions based on my research and experience. If you run into a knee problem you can try it. I don't think there are many people out there who change their running technique for no reason.

You made the post. Back it up. That's all. No spoon feeding needed.

I'll even get you started. Hasegawa et al., J Strength & Cond., 2007, (21), 888-893

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsUfo_jHQ60

It seems like the right distance running form would have some inversion of the foot, so that the outside of the ball of your foot makes contact with the ground first, and some pronation in the ankle upon absorbing the force of the strike, with the knee slightly bent. The thing too with distance runner is that they don't weigh much, so they don't put much weight on their joints. Distance running is probably not the best thing for very heavy people.
  • mgalovic01
    Options
    [quote="SingingSingleTracker;38084024

When it comes to losing weight, your body could care less where the calories come from. All it cares about is that there is a deficit in calories to cut weight. Twinkies, french fries, steamed broccoli, sockeye salmon, stir fry snow peas, orange juice, oatmeal, fresh fruit - the body doesn't care.

Count the calories. It's all about the calories.

You're arguing nutrition against weight loss.....

A reduction of calories is ALL that is needed for weight loss.[/quote]

It really shouldn't be a problem for most of us considering the top iodine rich foods which most of us get at least some of daily/weekly...

They should go hand in hand.

I know, that's just one example. There are countless others like not getting enough iron, or too much salt. Balance is key.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I'm confused... That's the evidence? Did you even read the paper????
  • mgalovic01
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    I'm confused... That's the evidence? Did you even read the paper????

I read the paper. I'm curious as to how they verified which part of the foot was striking the ground, since in the video I attached it may look like the runner is striking the ground on the rear of his foot, when he is not. Another thing is that those who in actuality strike the ground with their heal in competition may not train that way, but only do it in competition. I found reading about the inversion of the foot interesting. It appears like they strike the ground on the outside of the foot and follow the outside, convex arch like a rocker towards the front of the foot before pushing off again. I was curious to see this in action, so I found a video which elaborates on it further. It adds the pronation of the ankle to the equation.
    I guess you were trying to illustrate that different people run differently. Although that may be true, it does not necessarily mean they are running correctly.
  • kingdomtech
    kingdomtech Posts: 24 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I find counting calories tedious.

Then you're in the wrong place. I have found that keeping track of my daily intake of calories has been the cornerstone of my weight loss and what myfitnesspal was designed for. I can say "I'm eating healthy" and down an entire bag of apples and still wonder why I am still fat.
  • mgalovic01
    Options

Then you're in the wrong place. I have found that keeping track of my daily intake of calories has been the cornerstone of my weight loss and what myfitnesspal was designed for. I can say "I'm eating healthy" and down an entire bag of apples and still wonder why I am still fat.

I guarantee you're not going to get fat eating apples.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options

I guarantee you're not going to get fat eating apples.

You can, if you are already at maintenance for the day. Eating any foods over your maintenance will cause weight gain and that is a guarantee.