Stomach Toning Question

Options
ziggyboop
ziggyboop Posts: 9 Member
edited November 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
Hello all! I'm a newbie here and I would like some advice to tone my flabby tummy. Overall I'm pretty happy with my body weight and activity level. I am 5'5" and weigh between 124-126lbs depending on water retention and whatnot. I regularly use the stair climber at the gym (approximately 3 or 4 times a week) for a good 30-40 minutes. I also hike on relatively mountainous terrain on the days I'm not at the gym. These hikes generally last anywhere between 45 minutes to a little over an hour. I eat pretty healthily (Japanese and Korean food) with two moderately sized meals and a small snack per day.

My general problem is that I'm more of an apple shaped person who keeps more fat on the stomach than hips/thighs. I would like to slim down my waist a little more and also tone my stomach so I don't have so much of an "energy pouch". Would standard crunches be alright for my stomach at this size? I've heard that crunches are useless for fat reduction, but I'm not sure if that applies only to more overweight people with higher levels of subcutaneous fat. I've taken a few photos of my stomach for help on what my best move should be now. Thank you guys for any help you can provide!
j8wfom9p1pd5.jpg
9lxrndijursi.jpg
uys4qib0cqvs.jpg
dizynoteusvs.jpg

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i would suggest adding in some resistance or strength training while in a small deficit to reduce your bodyfat more.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    at 5'5" and 120's you probably don't even need to lose fat (unless you want to). maybe it's just a matter of picking up some muscle - i weigh at least 10lb more than you at 5'3" and i have fairly visible definition between the major ab groups. not a skinny sixpack, but i flashed them at a friend recently (she asked) and she did this audible gasp :p

never done crunches though. i do compound lifting (back and front squats, deadlifts, overhead press, bench press and rows). and then various things just to activate my abs and core for the lifting.

planks are a standard, but right now deadbug holds and various kinds of carry are my real favourites. another thing that amazed me with its effect on my abs was pullups/chinups. i still only do negatives (start at the top and descend under control), and i thought my abs were pretty strong already. but you need a remarkable amount of strength all through your belly to maintain control and good body positioning through an eccentric chinup. so you might want to look into that.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Lift weights and eat in a caloric deficit.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Your biggest issue is posture and a lack of muscle IMO. I would suggest strength training at maintenance level calories and working on standing up straight and tall. The latter is something you will have to be mindful of all day until you get used to it and it becomes your norm.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    You have high body fat and lack a significant amount of muscle mass. This is why even at your weight you look bigger than you are.

I definitely agree with the posture suggestion, you have a pretty classic case of pronation distortion syndrome which i highly recommend you work on to fix.

If i were in your shoes i would work with a personal trainer to help you reach your goals safely and effectively. More specifically one who has experience working with your postural distortion pattern.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Sorting your posture out will work wonders in the short term.

Long term, as above, calorie deficit and a resistance based training program.
  • ziggyboop
    Options
    @canadianlbs Thank you for your detailed reply! I feel like I should definitely work on my core muscles because they're sorely lacking as other members (and myself) have observed. I will be more than happy to simply have more definition in my stomach, which may reduce the flubby look my stomach has going on! I am very new to the concept of weight lifting and have only stuck to cardio workouts so far. Should I start with general strength training exercises to build up my core's tolerance level? I'm not sure if I'm strong enough to do pull ups or bench presses yet.
  • ziggyboop
    Options
    @jemhh Thank you for replying! You're right, I do have a "rounded shoulders" posture and really need to work on improving it. What type of beginner level strength training would you suggest? I have only been focusing on cardio, and I'm not really sure how to proceed. I've done a little reading on strength training and saw jumping jacks with push ups and crunches in the mix for a few reps. Is this the proper place to start?
  • ziggyboop
    Options
    @rainbowbow Thanks for your reply! My waist hip ratio is basically borderline healthy (0.78) because I have such high fat content in my stomach area.

I'm a college student at the moment so I have no money for a personal trainer (and I use the university gym since our school forces us to pay it with our tuition fees). I will definitely work on improving my posture and will look into strength training as a start to build up my core. Will standard work outs like crunches and planks help build up muscle mass, or do you think the fat on my stomach will simply cover the muscle that I build? I heard that was a big problem with workouts like sit ups and crunches.
  • jemhh
    Options
    If you like bodyweight exercises, I would suggest the book Strong Curves. It has 4 programs and one is all bodyweight exercises. It is a 12 week program and once you have completed it, you may want to move on to the weightlifting programs from the same book.

I would urge you not to eat in a deficit. You do not need to at this point. You have not done much in the way of resistance training and are in a good spot for newbie gains. In addition, your BMI is 20, which is on the lower end of healthy range for your height. Losing weight is not the answer to your problems. Burning fat and building muscle and working on posture should be your higher priorities and are very possible while eating at maintenance.
  • ziggyboop
    Options
    @singingflutelady Thank you so much for the link!
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    ziggyboop wrote: »
    @rainbowbow Thanks for your reply! My waist hip ratio is basically borderline healthy (0.78) because I have such high fat content in my stomach area.

I'm a college student at the moment so I have no money for a personal trainer (and I use the university gym since our school forces us to pay it with our tuition fees). I will definitely work on improving my posture and will look into strength training as a start to build up my core. Will standard work outs like crunches and planks help build up muscle mass, or do you think the fat on my stomach will simply cover the muscle that I build? I heard that was a big problem with workouts like sit ups and crunches.

At this point you will want to start with something to fix the pronation distortion syndrome. If you dont, you are putting yourself at more risk for lower body injuries (specifically the knee and ankle) and back pain.

You can read some more here:
    http://downloads.lww.com/wolterskluwer_vitalstream_com/sample-content/9780781768023_Clark/samples/Chapter13.pdf

and here:

http://www.prehabexercises.com/compensation-patterns/

At this point you want to focus on flexibility, SMR, and strengthening the weak muscles.
  • ziggyboop
    Options
    @jemhh I will see if the library has the book, thank you for your recommendation! I was wondering if deficit eating was something I should really look into because my diet truly is well balanced. I avoid sweet substances like candy and generally stick to plain water. I feel like restricting my food intake further would bring me more into the "skinny fat range" (which I'm close too) and not be healthy for my body in the long run.
  • jemhh
    Options
    @jemhh I will see if the library has the book, thank you for your recommendation! I was wondering if deficit eating was something I should really look into because my diet truly is well balanced. I avoid sweet substances like candy and generally stick to plain water. I feel like restricting my food intake further would bring me more into the "skinny fat range" (which I'm close too) and not be healthy for my body in the long run.

You would probably due well to up your protein. I am *guessing* that your diet is a bit low in it.

If you click on my profile, you will find links to several strength training programs. The author of SC has put the program templates online and the link is on there. He puts a lot of videos online so if you search "contreras" plus most of the exercise names you will find youtube videos to show how to do them. I still suggest checking the library for the book but that will get you started.
  • ziggyboop
    Options
    @rainbowbow Thank you for the links! They are very informative. I will focus on those areas while keeping in mind my posture.
  • ziggyboop
    Options
    @rainbowbow I just saw the other link you messaged me too! I will look into those exercises too, especially if they are more tailored to my posture type. Thank you so much for your help, I really appreciate it!
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    @rainbowbow I just saw the other link you messaged me too! I will look into those exercises too, especially if they are more tailored to my posture type. Thank you so much for your help, I really appreciate it!

You're welcome! :)

I agree that strong curves may be a great program for you! But at your current posture I wouldn't start until you've worked on that, your flexibility, getting in the habit of foam rolling, etc. The one I messaged you is only about 6 weeks long (although the flexibility and foam rolling routine can be done indefinitely) that way you can work yourself up to something like strong curves SAFELY. ;)
  • jemhh
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

I agree that strong curves may be a great program for you! But at your current posture I wouldn't start until you've worked on that, your flexibility, getting in the habit of foam rolling, etc. The one I messaged you is only about 6 weeks long (although the flexibility and foam rolling routine can be done indefinitely) that way you can work yourself up to something like strong curves SAFELY. ;)

OP, I really respect @rainbowbow 's advice and feel like she knows her stuff. If she is suggesting to work on posture first, I would follow her advice.
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    rainbowbow wrote: »

OP, I really respect @rainbowbow 's advice and feel like she knows her stuff. If she is suggesting to work on posture first, I would follow her advice.

<3