Never Been to Tim Hortons

Options
hgycta
hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
I don't live near any Tim Hortons but I'll be going on a trip with my school to New York City and the initiatory has it listed as a dinner stop around 6 pm. I heard they have really good donuts but do they even have them available this late? What kind of things does Tim Hortons carry at this time (can you order breakfast all day)? I'm going to try and log if I can, so any suggestions on what's delicious and/or what's healthy would be greatly appreciated! Anyone here a Tim Hortons regular? What do you normally order? Do all locations carry the same stuff? I looked at the menu online but was surprised by how small the lunch menu looked (assuming 6pm is still considered lunch time). Do you think they'll be sold out of a lot of things by this time?
I'm honestly surprised of all placed to eat dinner in New York City they chose Tim Hortons, so I really want to make the most of it! haha

Replies

• peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I don't know what the US locations are like but they are a Canadian staple so I'm pretty familiar with them...I might be the wrong person to answer this though as tbh I'm a bad Canadian and don't really like much there and I think even the coffee is bad.

They're more of a quick breakfast or lunch stop and not really somewhere I'd consider for dinner, honestly (and they're not really a sit-down atmosphere either, more of a grab and go kinda thing.)

They have soups and a few sandwiches and wraps, that's about it for non-bakery items. My husband gets the turkey bacon club when we end up there but I think all their lunch food is frankly terrible and usually just get a bagel and pout.

Generally here they still have a variety in the evening, but I'm sure it varies by location and what tends to sell.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,948 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    The Canadian version is open 24/7 and will have donuts always, though they may be picked over.
    The Canadian version has good enough donuts if you're looking for cheap ones (and price reflects quality).
    Never been to a US location though. I suspect they would have changed their branding since they have more competitors in the States. So it could be vastly different from what I'm used to.

I like their donuts and all, and it's nice that a lot of them are under 210 calories, but they don't compare to Krispy Kreme, if that's what you're thinking. They're not really fresh. They're frozen and then baked that day to make them warm. They are filled, glazed and iced onsite (if you like Boston Cream or jelly filled or Nutella filled). Not that they are served warm to the customers.

I don't mind their menu. Lots of low calorie options (I LOVE their chili but hate their buns). They have a selection of sandwiches, soups, paninis, wraps... they just introduced the side salad and chips. But it's similar to going to a McDonald's. Maybe a bit less busy/rushed.

I actually really like their danishes. With the cream cheese and the red berry filling (forget which berry lol). And good croissants (crescents?). And good bagels (esp with herb and garlic cream cheese).

Are they trying to give you a cheap/fast food dinner? Because Timmy's is definitely that. So if you're looking for something fancier and have the time... I'd go somewhere else. Maybe it's just that they don't want to make a reservation?

I like their breakfasts... but it's only available till 11:00 am here.

My go-to choices off the menu are (you'll have to check the calories on the American site, these are likely to be a little off):

Chicken Bacon Ranch Wrap - about 430 calories
    Small chili - 410 cals plus a 200 cal whole wheat bun (but I hate the bun lol). Large chili if I want it is about 600 calories.
    Tuscan Chicken Panini - about 500 calories
    Ham and Swiss Sandwich - about 380 calories
    Harvest vegetable soup (S) - 80 calories or so.
    Chocolate dip donut - 190 calories
    Boston cream donut - 210 calories
    The muffins run around 400ish calories each. Blueberry is good, as is chocolate chip.

As for drinks... regular coffee made the way you like it. If you want something sweet, then English Toffee flavour cappuccino or an ice capp (made with cream is my preference, but milk or chocolate milk are also options).
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    That is a really odd choice for dinner in NYC, but ok. I applaud your efforts at preparation.

It's pretty much Canadian Dunkin Donuts. So, breakfast sandwiches and stuff like that.
    I'm not a regular, but would be very surprised if they change the menu through the day.
    Hope you enjoy the city!
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of Timmies
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, it's mostly college students so I can definitely see why they would choose a low budget place and it probably makes sense they don't want anywhere with reservations. I really appreciate all of your responses, I'm very familiar with Dunkin Donuts so that comparison really helped. I may end up trying to go somewhere nicer and more authentic to NYC if I can ;)
  • not_my_first_rodeo
    not_my_first_rodeo Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    They should have donuts regardless of the hour. I like their crullers. They will also have donut holes which may sate and be smaller in calories, although you'll want to check that out beforehand. I like their chili a lot. They also have good breakfast sandwiches and you can customize them. And I believe those are available all day.

There are a few differences between the Canadian and American ones.
  • nickhinds88
    nickhinds88 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Worst coffee ever
  • kirstenb13
    kirstenb13 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I was so excited when I came upon my first Tim Horton's in Canada, but now I always skip them - they are completely horrible!
    To go there in NYC is absolutely ridiculous, I would try to skip out later and eat something decent instead. Their food is really, really, really bad.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    doughnuts are fine. i mean, it's doughnuts.

just don't drink the coffee.
  • alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of Timmies

Me either, Tim Hortons food, drinks and service are all crap
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    The Canadians I know all hate Tim Hortons with a fiery passion.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,931 Member
    Options
    I'm Canadian ... and I love Tim Hortons. :) I live in Australia now, but every time we visit Canada, we make multiple visits to Tim Hortons.

What do I order?

Love the cream of broccoli soup and biscuits. Love most of the donuts. Love the coffees. :)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,931 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Sadly, here in Australia, the donuts are just bad. The best we've got are Krispy Kreme's at the airports, which are marginally better, but they certainly do not measure up to Tim Hortons.
  • tahxirez
    tahxirez Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    these people are nuts the coffee is the best! I even buy the kcups when I go to Wegmans lol but yeah the food is crap pretty much. I'd just get a bagel with cream cheese and call it good or maybe ask them to make me a deli sandwich on a bagel.
  • rakowskidp
    rakowskidp Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I'm in southeast Michigan. The donuts are awful, and the coffee is barely acceptable. You can certainly find better elsewhere.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    LOL..Now I feel like a junkie! I've had a Tim Hortons French Vanilla Cappuccino almost every single day for the last 10 years...ISYN! But I log them (300 cals for a medium!) Hubs has had his large double double every day for more than that, probably closer to 20 years!
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    A 20pack of timbits!!!
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    Checkout http://timhortons.com/ca/en/index.php to get an idea what you can find on the menu. The donuts aren't nearly as good as they used to be before they centralized the dough making in response to Krispy Cream's competition here. They have a lot of decent sandwiches and their chili is pretty good.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    The Canadians I know all hate Tim Hortons with a fiery passion.

You don't know a lot of Canadians! :p

You said what I was thinking! Just about every single (I'm Canadian) person I know has a Timmies every now and then, if not every day