Never Been to Tim Hortons

Options

Replies

• KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,642 Member
    Options
    The Canadians I know all hate Tim Hortons with a fiery passion.

tumblr_mah6aoZmKM1qa6urlo1_500.gif
  • Golbat
    Golbat Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I am not a fan of their donuts, or anything else there for that matter. It must be one of those places people either love or hate but few people are neutral about?
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    hgycta wrote: »
    I don't live near any Tim Hortons but I'll be going on a trip with my school to New York City and the initiatory has it listed as a dinner stop around 6 pm. I heard they have really good donuts but do they even have them available this late? What kind of things does Tim Hortons carry at this time (can you order breakfast all day)? I'm going to try and log if I can, so any suggestions on what's delicious and/or what's healthy would be greatly appreciated! Anyone here a Tim Hortons regular? What do you normally order? Do all locations carry the same stuff? I looked at the menu online but was surprised by how small the lunch menu looked (assuming 6pm is still considered lunch time). Do you think they'll be sold out of a lot of things by this time?
    I'm honestly surprised of all placed to eat dinner in New York City they chose Tim Hortons, so I really want to make the most of it! haha

TIM HORTONS IS THE WORST!!! I don't understand why they are so popular. Their food is not that amazing and their coffee is the worst I've ever tasted. The only reason people like it is because they use really heavy cream in everything.

I honestly feel like I'd love the heavy cream haha when you say everything do you mean the coffee, too? Can you make specializations such as different milk, no whipped topping, etc. like you can at Dunkin or Starbucks? Do you know if the calorie counts are posted on the menu boards?

I went to Starbucks this morning to finally try the Chile Mocha, and honestly it tasted watered down and wasn't even spicy; I generally enjoy Dunkin more and can't justify paying Starbucks prices so perhaps I could at least give this place a shot (if not for food, then for the coffee) while I'm here.
    LOL..Now I feel like a junkie! I've had a Tim Hortons French Vanilla Cappuccino almost every single day for the last 10 years...ISYN! But I log them (300 cals for a medium!) Hubs has had his large double double every day for more than that, probably closer to 20 years!

I don't think I saw the French Vanilla Cappuccino on the US menu, but I assume they'd have it since it can't be that hard to make. Does it usually come with whipped cream? 300 sounds like a lot haha but if I order it without whip (usually not a fan anyways since it melts before I drink it), I wonder how that would affect the calories. What's a double double? Is that also a coffee beverage? My favorite are caramel macchiatos but really I love anything (the sweeter, the better), so while I don't think they have macchiatos are the cappuccinos really really sweet? I may have to give it a shot if so ;)
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I'm Canadian ... and I love Tim Hortons. :) I live in Australia now, but every time we visit Canada, we make multiple visits to Tim Hortons.

What do I order?

Love the cream of broccoli soup and biscuits. Love most of the donuts. Love the coffees. :)

I noticed you said MOST of the donuts... which donuts do you not like and which are your absolute favorite? Again, if I'm doing this I need to make it worth it haha xD

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate all of your responses even though I didn't respond to each one!!!
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I highly prefer dunkin donuts to tim hortons.

So do I, but then I'm in Massachusetts, and to say anything else would be heresy.
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    It's pretty much Canadian Dunkin Donuts.
    That is a very kind statement. Tim Horton's here don't last very long

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    One of the things I like about the Tim Hortons donuts is that they aren't so sickly sweet as places like Krispy Kreme

this yeah, for sure. huge excitement for some reason when a kk opened up somewhere around here, and somebody brought a big flat of them to work once.

i couldn't. i'm all about the sugar, but the one that i tried was so sweet it was almost like a corrosive effect to my mouth. it was almost like a kind of hyper-concentration of sweetness beyond what normal sugar can carry per molecule.

about the hortons' coffee, i'm curious about why people like it. there's a definite difference to it - and i think hortons/starbucks is a false dichotomy here. i don't like either of them, and the stuff from th is different even from the coffee that i make at home.

to me it tastes like it's made out of ground-up driftwood. that's not just me being creatively rude about something you like; it honestly does. almost an alum effect, kind of a tastebud/saliva shrivel. and then there are two other factors that i find strange and un-coffee-ish. texturally it's strangely thin, and there's an odd lingering sweetness somewhere as well.

i wonder if they use chicory somewhere in it, actually. that could be what all of these things are reminding me of. chicory 'coffee' is okay if you like it. but it's objectively a different drink from 'real' coffee. it's like tang is great if you like tang. you just need to not expect it to be orange juice.

on the 'thin' thing, i don't like syrupy coffee either. so again, it's not just a
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I don't live near any Tim Hortons but I'll be going on a trip with my school to New York City and the initiatory has it listed as a dinner stop around 6 pm. I heard they have really good donuts but do they even have them available this late? What kind of things does Tim Hortons carry at this time (can you order breakfast all day)? I'm going to try and log if I can, so any suggestions on what's delicious and/or what's healthy would be greatly appreciated! Anyone here a Tim Hortons regular? What do you normally order? Do all locations carry the same stuff? I looked at the menu online but was surprised by how small the lunch menu looked (assuming 6pm is still considered lunch time). Do you think they'll be sold out of a lot of things by this time?
    I'm honestly surprised of all placed to eat dinner in New York City they chose Tim Hortons, so I really want to make the most of it! haha

TIM HORTONS IS THE WORST!!! I don't understand why they are so popular. Their food is not that amazing and their coffee is the worst I've ever tasted. The only reason people like it is because they use really heavy cream in everything.

I honestly feel like I'd love the heavy cream haha when you say everything do you mean the coffee, too? Can you make specializations such as different milk, no whipped topping, etc. like you can at Dunkin or Starbucks? Do you know if the calorie counts are posted on the menu boards?

I don't think I saw the French Vanilla Cappuccino on the US menu, but I assume they'd have it since it can't be that hard to make. Does it usually come with whipped cream? 300 sounds like a lot haha but if I order it without whip (usually not a fan anyways since it melts before I drink it), I wonder how that would affect the calories. What's a double double? Is that also a coffee beverage? My favorite are caramel macchiatos but really I love anything (the sweeter, the better), so while I don't think they have macchiatos are the cappuccinos really really sweet? I may have to give it a shot if so ;)

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate all of your responses even though I didn't respond to each one!!!

To the bolded, the "french vanilla" isn't an actual cappuccino, it's from a powdered mix and is very sweet, very milky, and has a faint coffee flavour. There's no espresso or steamed milk or foam or anything and I also don't think they use whipped cream, although I haven't had one since high school so I'm not 100% on that (I used to love them then, though, for what it's worth...they're sweet and very popular.) You would probably like it if you like caramel macchiatos as they're certainly kind of similar from a sweetness perspective anyway.

A "double double" is just Canadian for 2 cream, 2 sugar, but at Tim's that's also measure from a machine and doesn't correspond to tbsps or anything (maybe at the smallest size but the larger ones get proportionately more and are pretty calorie-dense as a result.)
    TR0berts wrote: »

I'd say McDonald's coffee is worse - no matte what brand they're using, it always tastes burnt. That said, I don't like TH, either.

Lol, I feel exactly the opposite. If my only options are fast-food coffee I will always choose McDonald's coffee over Tim Hortons (or Starbucks if we're talking drip coffee, too.) Tim Horton's tastes like the grounds are ancient to me and I always regret it. I drink coffee black and I don't like overroasted, which is my Starbucks issue, but I don't find McDonald's to taste that way. It's not great coffee but it's usually my go-to option if there's nothing better around when I'm travelling.
  • Gotrek1
    Gotrek1 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Canadian.. don't like tims, the food is just ok, coffee is horrible if you like it black surprisingly better with cream and sugar. Like it was designed to be sweetened and creamed. Macdonalds is better coffee.

Tims was good when they were very cheap, now it's the same price as starbucks so I'd rather starbucks.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    One of the things I like about the Tim Hortons donuts is that they aren't so sickly sweet as places like Krispy Kreme

this yeah, for sure. huge excitement for some reason when a kk opened up somewhere around here, and somebody brought a big flat of them to work once.

i couldn't. i'm all about the sugar, but the one that i tried was so sweet it was almost like a corrosive effect to my mouth. it was almost like a kind of hyper-concentration of sweetness beyond what normal sugar can carry per molecule.

about the hortons' coffee, i'm curious about why people like it. there's a definite difference to it - and i think hortons/starbucks is a false dichotomy here. i don't like either of them, and the stuff from th is different even from the coffee that i make at home.

to me it tastes like it's made out of ground-up driftwood. that's not just me being creatively rude about something you like; it honestly does. almost an alum effect, kind of a tastebud/saliva shrivel. and then there are two other factors that i find strange and un-coffee-ish. texturally it's strangely thin, and there's an odd lingering sweetness somewhere as well.

i wonder if they use chicory somewhere in it, actually. that could be what all of these things are reminding me of. chicory 'coffee' is okay if you like it. but it's objectively a different drink from 'real' coffee. it's like tang is great if you like tang. you just need to not expect it to be orange juice.

on the 'thin' thing, i don't like syrupy coffee either. so again, it's not just a

It was me that mentioned Starbucks coffee but it wasn't meant as a dichotomy (I might not have been clear), only that there are those who love Starbucks and look down on Tim's but SB isn't really any better. I'm not a cupper by any stretch but I love a good Italian or Turkish coffee from a small independent because they tend to have the baristas that really understand how to make the coffee and they also tend to have a better selection and roasting.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Gotrek1 wrote: »
    Canadian.. don't like tims, the food is just ok, coffee is horrible if you like it black surprisingly better with cream and sugar. Like it was designed to be sweetened and creamed. Macdonalds is better coffee.

heh. i take coffee with lots of milk, no sugar, and still can't deal with the th version. mcd would be my choice every time too.

never gone near their food. they certainly make a big deal about it, but it always looked really generic and pretty icky to me. sort of like if you stripped down denny's for the drive-through market.

the timbits though. there's that one sort of fudgey one with a really deep vanilla-y custard-y taste. i'll eat those, no problem. but i'm not actually much of a doughnut fan anyway. where i grew up we had these, so i'm ruined for doughnuts:

http://www.eatout.co.za/recipe/masterchef-sa-koeksisters/ luckily, it's just way too much trouble to make them at home.
  • a45cal
    a45cal Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I'm an American living in Toronto, and I have to say I'm super confused why your school's taking you to New York and then going to one of the (I'm guessing very few) instances of a Canadian coffee shop chain for dinner. Multiple things there just don't make sense. Is some supervisory person on the trip a Canadaphile, or a Canadian who hasn't been home in a while? Why go to a coffee shop instead of an actual restaurant for a meal? So confuse.

I've lived in Canada for a little over three years now and have eaten at Tim Horton's now and then (my first meal after getting off the plane was a chicken salad sandwich from there.) On the whole, it's just passable coffee-shop fare. The sort of stuff you'd expect from a Starbuck's or similar and be fairly satisfied with (if you're not exceptionally picky.) But I don't see it as a memorable choice for a big trip, unless the trip is to Canada and you're eating there for the experience.
  • Skyblueyellow
    Skyblueyellow Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I've not heard of such a place but now I'm intrigued...
  • Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    You're going to New York City and eating at a chain store coffee and donut shop.
  • Sara1791
    Options
    Back to the topic of eating in NYC at night.

Do you really want to eat anything other than the best pizza you ever put in your mouth? Patsy's in East Harlem is so good it almost hurts to eat it. Sit down, go to Grimaldi's under the Brooklyn Bridge or to the one on 20th and 6th Ave. Or Joe's or Lombardi's. You get the idea. Eat ALL the pizza. And bagels, and deli sandwiches. And hot dogs at Gray's. There is one on 72d and Broadway by the Museum, and another on 8th and 6th Ave.

If these places aren't on your list of where to eat in NYC, they're doing it wrong.

Not enough awesomes.
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    Sara1791 wrote: »
    You're going to New York City and eating at a chain store coffee and donut shop.

I know, it's pathetic. I didn't choose the place, and if I can find a better place I will choose something local but I'll probably be expected to stick with the group since we're on a tight schedule and it's a day trip, I really don't feel like getting stuck down there haha!
    peleroja wrote: »

To the bolded, the "french vanilla" isn't an actual cappuccino, it's from a powdered mix and is very sweet, very milky, and has a faint coffee flavour. There's no espresso or steamed milk or foam or anything and I also don't think they use whipped cream, although I haven't had one since high school so I'm not 100% on that (I used to love them then, though, for what it's worth...they're sweet and very popular.) You would probably like it if you like caramel macchiatos as they're certainly kind of similar from a sweetness perspective anyway.

A "double double" is just Canadian for 2 cream, 2 sugar, but at Tim's that's also measure from a machine and doesn't correspond to tbsps or anything (maybe at the smallest size but the larger ones get proportionately more and are pretty calorie-dense as a result.)
    TR0berts wrote: »

I'd say McDonald's coffee is worse - no matte what brand they're using, it always tastes burnt. That said, I don't like TH, either.

Lol, I feel exactly the opposite. If my only options are fast-food coffee I will always choose McDonald's coffee over Tim Hortons (or Starbucks if we're talking drip coffee, too.) Tim Horton's tastes like the grounds are ancient to me and I always regret it. I drink coffee black and I don't like overroasted, which is my Starbucks issue, but I don't find McDonald's to taste that way. It's not great coffee but it's usually my go-to option if there's nothing better around when I'm travelling.

I'm glad you said this, I use cappuccino supreme's mixes at home because I love cheap gas station self serve cappuccino mixes! If it's like this I'll be happy, but I don't think it's something I'll go out of my way for.
    I'm surprised some people are comparing it to McDonald's/Dunkin Donuts while others are comparing it to Starbucks! I can either drink super sweet coffees (or "coffees"), but I occasionally enjoy black coffee and find it surprising certain people can so quickly favor or hate coffee from chains like McDonald's. I've noticed it's really hit or miss with McDonald's, I either like it or hate it, sometimes I get a batch that's been sitting way too long while other times it's fresh.
  • jessica22222
    jessica22222 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    The only time I get Tim hortons is if it's the only place around. Terrible coffee, terrible service, terrible food
  • Sara1791
    Options
    Sara1791 wrote: »

I know, it's pathetic. I didn't choose the place, and if I can find a better place I will choose something local but I'll probably be expected to stick with the group since we're on a tight schedule and it's a day trip, I really don't feel like getting stuck down there haha!

Sorry, I shouldn't have made you feel bad about something you have no control over. Please forgive me. I'm sure you'll have a great time. I wish I were going.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    Canadian and looove timmies no idea what the American one will be like tho didn't even know they had them there
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    The only time I get Tim hortons is if it's the only place around. Terrible coffee, terrible service, terrible food

It really was better before it merged with Wendy's years ago. I remember a time when you went in and sat around the coffee bar for hours with friends and the waitresses were friendly and I might or might not have dated a few. :wink:
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,180 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options

I went to Starbucks this morning to finally try the Chile Mocha, and honestly it tasted watered down and wasn't even spicy; I generally enjoy Dunkin more and can't justify paying Starbucks prices so perhaps I could at least give this place a shot (if not for food, then for the coffee) while I'm here.
    LOL..Now I feel like a junkie! I've had a Tim Hortons French Vanilla Cappuccino almost every single day for the last 10 years...ISYN! But I log them (300 cals for a medium!) Hubs has had his large double double every day for more than that, probably closer to 20 years!

I'm Canadian ... and I love Tim Hortons. :) I live in Australia now, but every time we visit Canada, we make multiple visits to Tim Hortons.

What do I order?

Love the cream of broccoli soup and biscuits. Love most of the donuts. Love the coffees. :)

I noticed you said MOST of the donuts... which donuts do you not like and which are your absolute favorite? Again, if I'm doing this I need to make it worth it haha xD

I like ... apple fritters, crullers, sour cream cake donuts, and the glazed chocolate cake donuts.

The rest are good too, but I'm less fond of the yeast donuts and the ones with a thick, sweet icing topping.

I also like the chilli ... the sandwiches are OK as well, but I do tend to prefer the soup and chilli.

As for the coffee, I drink my coffee black and Tim Horton's black coffee is better than most black coffees I've had. It's strong enough without going into heart palpitations. Occasionally, I'll go for a mocha if I'm really in the mood for something super-sweet.

A "double-double" is a coffee with double cream and double sugar. Yuck. And that's not a comment on Tim Hortons, that's a comment about coffee in general. No coffee is meant to have cream in it ... just ... yuck!