Replacements for candy?

Options
13»

Replies

• nikkxjohnson
    nikkxjohnson Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I love keeping dates at work for when I get the urge for candy. If that doesn't work I always have a bar of dark chocolate that I can munch on (80%dark) it's too rich for me to eat the entire bar in one sitting.
  • PennWalker
    PennWalker Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    740p wrote: »
    I'm really weak when it comes to candy. It's right in front of me in the office and it makes it super difficult for me to NOT eat it. Doing so I always end up exceeding my sugar and fat intake. What are some healthy alternatives that I could bring to work to snack on when the urge hits?

Sugarless gum. Regular gum. Fruit.

Can you ask the powers that be to move the candy to a break room or somewhere else not in front of you?
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,023 Member
    Options
    I found out that Nutella helps with a sweet tooth. It taste like Hershey's chocolate.

And ounce for ounce, has even more calories, so I'm not sure what the benefit is?
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    ryry_ wrote: »
    740p wrote: »
    I'm really weak when it comes to candy. It's right in front of me in the office and it makes it super difficult for me to NOT eat it. Doing so I always end up exceeding my sugar and fat intake. What are some healthy alternatives that I could bring to work to snack on when the urge hits?

These kind of dilemmas are why only track my calorie and protein intake. Everything else just seemed like excess data that was not going to effect my results in any meaningful way.

This. Calories and protein are the only food data that is relevant to me. I don't eat many lollies, but I don't deprive myself of them either. I do eat chocolate and drink alcohol nearly every day.

I lost 80 lbs doing this, and have also maintained my goal weight since April.

At the age of 49, I'm about to run my 4th half marathon since June, and am the happiest and healthiest I've been in my life.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I am a glutton for candy. I love it. The more I eat, the more I want, so for now, except for Halloween proper, I am staying away from it until I feel I am ready for it. I walk by a candy jar at work 10x a day, and the Tootsie Rolls stare at me like a whiny *kitten*. I do love watermelon and I have that for a sweet treat. Mixed with feta, it's a nice salty combo. I also will chew some gum, and that helps with the sweet fix.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    SCoil123 wrote: »
    I have dark chocolate protein bars at my desk. I have one of those when my coworkers are eating treats.

This is what I do too. I keep a box of chocolatey protein bars at the office and when the sweet urge hits...that's my go to.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    I've trained myself to prefer dark chocolate, and I find I can control my portions of it much more easily than sugary candy bars (though I still occasionally splurge on one of them if I have the calories).

For non-chocolate candy, I either have one small piece, pass on it or have some dates or dried pineapple. Dried fruit has about the same amount of calories and sugar, but it has fibre and a few more nutrients so it feels a bit healthier.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    I found out that Nutella helps with a sweet tooth. It taste like Hershey's chocolate.

Nutella is pretty much candy though. Delicious but very calorie dense, so you have to be aware of the portions that can fit into your day.

For work snacking I like crispy veggies: snow peas, celery, carrot sticks plus things like cherry tomatoes, lightly steamed broccoli. Fruit like strawberries are good and they are in season now so the price is nice too.

These aren't an alternative to candy as such, but they are nice to snack on and if I'm eating those it's easier to say no to other snacks.

I've also been known to shift snacks so they are out of sight. We have regular national meetings and it's customary to have snacks on the table all day - nuts, dried fruit etc (which I think is crazy as we meet at a hotel that has a buffet breakfast and we are provided with morning tea, lunch and afternoon tea so it's never more than a few hours until the next eating opportunity anyway. I usually move them so they are out of arms reach and try to put something in front of them so I don't have to look at them the whole time.

Is it possible to relocate the snacks at work so they are a little less visible/accessible?
  • bininj
    bininj Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    On a LCHF diet your craving for sugar goes way down. Protein is filling and satisfying and takes away those cravings. In saying that I do occasionally eat a little bit of dried fruit. It is the only treat I have.
  • lemonychild
    lemonychild Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Rawr619 wrote: »
    Fruit.

fruit probably has way more calories than a couple of hard candies
  • Colt1835
    Colt1835 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Rawr619 wrote: »
    Fruit.

fruit probably has way more calories than a couple of hard candies
    Strawberries are 33 calories for 100 grams.
  • TinaKen2016
    TinaKen2016 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Do you like peanut butter? I like to cut up an apple and dip in pb. It's tasty and takes time to eat
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Grapes, blueberries, strawberries, raspberries. They have that same "nibble sweet treat" feel to them.

Or a smaller portion of the sweet treat. A fun size chocolate bar instead of full size, a mini muffin, a small portion of sweets in a little bag.

I use both these strategies. Whatever you do, remember to log it. Fruit has fewer calories than sweets, sure, but it is possible to overeat it. I pre-log the food I bring to work, including snacks, so that when I'm there I can just eat it till it's gone without worrying about it.
  • JenniferNoll
    JenniferNoll Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    There are a number of companies that sell xylitol based candies that are really good. Yummy Earth is about half and half. Half of what they make uses organic sugar, the other half of what they make uses xylitol (read the labels). They have hard candies and softer ones. Ice Chips is another xylitol based candy. If you need something sweet, these really hit the spot without the artificial sweetner aftertaste (I mean both brands hit the spot).

Be careful with sugar free candy. They are made with sugar alcohols, which can cause diarrhea. If you eat them, don't eat too much of them.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    Might not be the kind of suggestion you want but honestly my replacement for candy is just smaller candy.

^^This. I have some fun sized candy bars, and it usually only takes 1 for me. Most are 100 calories and under.
    I get what people are saying about the protein bars, but my one caution would be that they have easily as many calories, or sometimes more, than a candy bar, so for me personally, that would not be a good substitute.
    Maybe you could melt a square of chocolate at your desk to melt and eat with a banana or apple slices, that way you get a good sized, filling serving, and you get fiber with your sugar.