I can't stop eating!

Options
124»

Replies

• fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I have my carbs at dinner because I do feel I want to eat more if I eat them early. Plus, it's nice to have potatoes and rice with dinner instead of just watching hubby and my son eat them. It helps send the right message of whole, balanced meals to my kids and not just mom eating diet food.

I delay food a lot with distraction. With only 1250 calories a day, there's not a lot of wiggle room outside of what I've prelogged for the day. Prelogging helps in and of itself and I supplement with a lot of water or sparkling water between meals. Chewing gum helps, too.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    I have been thinking it is discipline and we all need it in all areas of our life. Also, there are better things than eating, mingling with people, doing things with my spouse, standing up for yourself, enjoying the autumn leaves. How miserable it would be to stay inside and eat and not to enjoy life!
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    You don't need dieting advice you need professional mental health treatment. When you have a dependence on anything food, drugs, sex, sniffing dryer sheets it is a symptom of something else and you can't fix the symptom without addressing what is causing it.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    You don't need dieting advice you need professional mental health treatment. When you have a dependence on anything food, drugs, sex, sniffing dryer sheets it is a symptom of something else and you can't fix the symptom without addressing what is causing it.

That was a big jump. I guess only the OP would know if that was necessary, but based on what she said in her OP, it seems a bit excessive. Many people need to become more mindful in their eating, but don't need professional help. I readily recognize that some people DO need that help, as well. I just didn't pick that up in the OP.
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options

That was a big jump. I guess only the OP would know if that was necessary, but based on what she said in her OP, it seems a bit excessive. Many people need to become more mindful in their eating, but don't need professional help. I readily recognize that some people DO need that help, as well. I just didn't pick that up in the OP.

She says she is not eating because she is hungry it's because she is constantly thinking about it. The OP is describing compulsive behavior, she knows she needs to stop but can't. Compulsive behaviors are a symptom and need treatment. If someone constantly thinks about alcohol and drinks a bottle of whiskey at a time they would need treatment and a big part of that treatment is to find the reason for the compulsion to drink. Based on what she describes it is a compulsion and even if she can start eating better there is a good chance she will start a new compulsive behavior.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options

She says she is not eating because she is hungry it's because she is constantly thinking about it. The OP is describing compulsive behavior, she knows she needs to stop but can't. Compulsive behaviors are a symptom and need treatment. If someone constantly thinks about alcohol and drinks a bottle of whiskey at a time they would need treatment and a big part of that treatment is to find the reason for the compulsion to drink. Based on what she describes it is a compulsion and even if she can start eating better there is a good chance she will start a new compulsive behavior.

You could be right. I just didn't pick that up in the OP. Many people "think about food all the time" with being compulsive in the mental health sense.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options

It could be compulsive behavior, it could be bad habits or lack of planning, it could be nothing. She may need professional treatment, she may have to set better boundaries for herself, she may have to calm down. Lots of people eat for other reasons than hunger. That's not necessarily sick. It can be because it feels good (at the moment). The OP's describes her problem a bit dramatic initially, but not very detailed, and it seems the problem is limited to chocolate bars in her workplace, and what she is describing is quite ordinary.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    1. I started eating later in the day...the earlier I start the more obsessed I am with food all day (it's not for everyone but it was a game changer for me.
    2. I take the baby out to the playground and play WITH him for an hour or two, then go pick up some groceries or run errands on foot.
    3. Pick up a hobby.
    4. Earn after dinner treats treats through exercise but have them.
    5. After your calories are gone go up and brush, floss, and mouthwash...after that only tea (i have a million kinds and I adore them all so I don't feel deprived.
    6. Get enough sleep, studies show that sleep deprivation causes cravings for high calorie foods AND slows down our activities.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    TGTiger wrote: »
    Take in alot of water and try to mix in some almonds as well. They sent a signal to your brain that you are full and may get your mind off of food.

Nothing wrong with almonds but they're very calorie dense-super easy to rack up the calories with them, without meaning to. I've never felt full on them and most times avoid them because you get so little for the amount of calories.
  • raymax4
    raymax4 Posts: 6,070 Member
    Options

I think about food all the time. I plan dinner while I am eating breakfast all the time. I look up recipes that sound intreating and even imagine how it would taste.

I reject your supposition that thinking about eating and enjoying eating entails an eating disorder to some kind of mental disability.

OP I use to eat all the time. I called it grazing. When I started here it was difficult to stop mainly because I would eat without even noticing. I made a deal with myself that I had to log everything before I ate it. It cut down so much of my eating. I also cut down eating some foods to a once in a while status because of what it did to my macros.
  • raymax4
    raymax4 Posts: 6,070 Member
    Options
    shredcamps wrote: »
    its funny how fussy eaters are NEVER fussy about junk food.

Not a true statement.
  • kirstycochranek
    kirstycochranek Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    When I can't stop thinking about eating, I tell myself I can have it in XX minutes. Then I try to go do something physical - take a walk, etc. Usually, if I can put off the craving and get in a little exercise, the craving goes away. If it doesn't, I log it and have it.

I also pre-log my food for the day, so I know what kind of wiggle room I have for the day. Like today, I have ZERO wiggle room.4bxn08504exr.jpg

But, as you can see, I've also pre-logged my half-pint of Ben and Jerry's. That stuff is so good, there is NO WAY I'm going to snack on something else throughout the day and not let myself have the ice cream.

Some days, I have plenty of wiggle room. That allows for office treats, etc.

exactly what I do too!! Both of these.
    It's so so hard to stop binge eating. I recommend reading Brain over Binge by Kathryn Hansen. In short, it basically says... to rewire our brain, we just have to stop binge eating. That's it. If i find myself walking to the fridge for binge food, I notice - I want to binge. I say - I have the control to binge or not to binge. I choose - to turn myself around. It's hard, turning around and having to deal with that nagging voice telling you to go back to the fridge!!! And it will happen again and again but as Kathryn talks about in her book, after getting better at this our brains will rewire and we won't hear that voice, or we might hear it but have no desire to act on it.
    It may take months... but there is hope.