Lower calorie pasta?

Options

Replies

• Cbestinme
    Cbestinme Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Lord007 wrote: »
    Cbestinme wrote: »
    Are these shirataki noodles a specialty item in special stores?

You can find Shirataki noodles at Asian markets. They're typically in a refridgerated section, near tofu and the like. I like them. They do have a "ocean " odor if not rinsed very thoroughly, because of the solution it's stored in, so they're best consumed with a bolder sauces, i.e marinara, and flavors. A 2 serving bag is about $2. (It only has <10 calories per serving)

Thanks so much, lol @ ocean odor!!!
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options

You can find Shirataki noodles at Asian markets. They're typically in a refridgerated section, near tofu and the like. I like them. They do have a "ocean " odor if not rinsed very thoroughly, because of the solution it's stored in, so they're best consumed with a bolder sauces, i.e marinara, and flavors. A 2 serving bag is about $2. (It only has <10 calories per serving)

You can also find them in regular grocery stores, usually by the tofu. In my Kroger that's in the produce section, in Sprouts it's close to the dairy. Agree that they need to be rinsed very, very thoroughly and covered up with bold flavors, and also agree that they work a lot better in stir-fry than as pasta.
  • Cbestinme
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    You could try Shirataki noodles, but I don't find them to be acceptable at all for traditional pasta dishes...I only use them when I'm doing Asian cuisine. Pasta is calorie dense...that's just the way it is and it doesn't matter if it's whole grain or not. Bulk up your pasta dishes with veggies and other things.

I actually don't eat pasta as a main course very often...I usually have it as a side.

Great points thanks! Yes wheat is just calorie dense, so be it.
  • FindingCynSporation
    Options
    I make zucchini pasta when I get the carb cravings. I have a mandolin to cut the zucchini (you can also use a spiralizer.) I usually saute some garlic and onion in a pan, then add in the zucchini until it wilts, usually it's just a few minutes. I add in a low-cal marinara when I don't have time to make my own, top it with some parmesan cheese, and eat away! And I feel SO much better (physically and mentally) the next day.My body doesn't feel run down from the massive carb intake, and I don't feel guilty for eating so much. It can be a super quick meal that's really satisfying!

Inspiring, may experiment with something on one of those not hungry days (if they come my way again). I do add zucchini as a veggie, maybe just add more and more and less snd less of pasta and see whether i can get to pasta free zucchini noodles. My body just wants it all carbs, proteins, fats, sigh, lol ;)

I usually add a little bit extra parmesan cheese to cover the glutton side of my needs! :wink:
  • abitofbliss
    abitofbliss Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I use veges in place of noodles.

Onions, peppers, zucchini, garlic cloves - Sauteed in red sauce is delish (just made this last night) with grilled chicken parm. I also like to make ground beef with broccoli&cheese sauce - Tastes like hamburger helper to me.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    MiMi_5151 wrote: »
    Spaghetti squash!

Yes! I have also mixed a small portion of angel hair spaghetti into spaghetti squash for when you just need to get filled up.
  • Cbestinme
    Options

Onions, peppers, zucchini, garlic cloves - Sauteed in red sauce is delish (just made this last night) with grilled chicken parm. I also like to make ground beef with broccoli&cheese sauce - Tastes like hamburger helper to me.

Great tips, thanks!
  • Cbestinme
    Options
    MiMi_5151 wrote: »
    Spaghetti squash!

Yes! I have also mixed a small portion of angel hair spaghetti into spaghetti squash for when you just need to get filled up.

Awesome, thanks!!
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    i make pasta work. as ive said 10000 times im italian and pasta was one of the first thingsi learned to make. I save it for days im active and if i really "need" it i go for a bike ride or walk or whatever. there is not a replacement for real pasta.. for me.
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Fibergourmet pasta. Half the calories, great taste, half the calories.
  • The_Ugly_One
    The_Ugly_One Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Creamette makes a penne pasta that is 150 calories per 56g rather than the usual 200 calories per 56g. No taste difference. 100 fewer calories over two servings that I can spend better elsewhere, like spaghetti sauce!
  • Cbestinme
    Options
    JinjoJoey wrote: »
    You can find Shirataki noodles at most Walmart stores. I just started buying them last month and although, they aren't identical to real pasta, obviously, they're pretty damn good. The ones I buy at Walmart are 15 calories per serving and two servings per bag. It's a pretty big bag for 30 calories. Last night, I had two bags for 60 calories and a chicken broth cube for 5 calories. All in all, 65 calories for something that tasted extremely close to Ramen noodles. I've also had them with spaghetti sauce which is pretty darn good too, all things considered. I was a pretty picky eater in the past as well, so the fact that I don't mind having these should tell you something. I've not tried the 0 calorie ones, though. Like others have mentioned, just rinse them thoroughly in a strainer before you boil or whatever. Once you season them with something, add a sauce or broth, you don't notice any odd flavors anyway. I'm, honestly, so happy I found these things!

Great points thanks!

Ramen noodles like Japanese ramen (or the packages for boiled water?
  • Cbestinme
    Options

You can also find them in regular grocery stores, usually by the tofu. In my Kroger that's in the produce section, in Sprouts it's close to the dairy. Agree that they need to be rinsed very, very thoroughly and covered up with bold flavors, and also agree that they work a lot better in stir-fry than as pasta.

Excellent will know where to look, thanks!
  • Cbestinme
    Options
    Steph38878 wrote: »

Sounds really advanced, is that the name on the packaging? Is it in regular stores?
  • Cbestinme
    Options

Yummy!
  • Cbestinme
    Options
    fishshark wrote: »
    i make pasta work. as ive said 10000 times im italian and pasta was one of the first thingsi learned to make. I save it for days im active and if i really "need" it i go for a bike ride or walk or whatever. there is not a replacement for real pasta.. for me.

Good tips. Agreed!!
  • pamsumtrav
    pamsumtrav Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Try Carba Nada pasta made by Al Dente. They can be bought online and in some grocery stores, especially in the mid west. I spent the summer in the upper peninsula of Michigan this summer and picked up several bags.

They are not as low as the shirataki noodles or noodles, but nice for a change.
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Steph38878 wrote: »

Sounds really advanced, is that the name on the packaging? Is it in regular stores?

Unfortunately not in stores. I buy online. I usually build a small box to get a discount since they don't go bad. They taste more like regular pasta.

• Cbestinme
    Options
    Great tips thanks everyone will be on the look out for
    pamsumtrav wrote: »
    Try Carba Nada pasta made by Al Dente. They can be bought online and in some grocery stores, especially in the mid west. I spent the summer in the upper peninsula of Michigan this summer and picked up several bags.

They are not as low as the shirataki noodles or noodles, but nice for a change.

Great suggestion will keep an eye for them
  • Cbestinme
    Options

I have seen the shirataki noodles at Asian markets and Whole Foods. I think you can also order them online.

I ordered my Vegetti (inexpensive spiralizer) online, but I've also seen them at discount stores in the kitchen section. It works fine, although there are also much more expensive models.

I usually just eat one serving of pasta when I have it -- or half of a serving. I find that it satisfies me when I have lots of vegetables with the meal -- either a big salad on the side or some roasted vegetables mixed with the pasta and sauce. Although if you want to "spend" your calories on pasta, there's nothing wrong with that. Just arrange your other meals for the day to make it fit.

tried this half serving (100 calories only!), and went really crazy with veggies, that seemed to work, will have to try a few more times :);)

Will also be fun experimenting with other noodles

Thanks everyone!!