Lower calorie pasta?

Options
Anone have any tips? My body tells me it needs at least two servings of everything especially pasta (400 calories pasta only) ;). Is it possible to get lower calorie pastas in general?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Listen to what your brain tells you. Log your meals and hit your calorie goal. You can eat anything you like.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I had this fantasy too, but a quick survey of what's on the shelf at my Ralph's shows that all the veggie and whole wheat and protein variations have pretty much the same calories. A cup at 200 cals is how I go, and I bulk it out with veg.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Some people find shirataki noodles to be a good replacement for pasta. They have zero calories, but the taste and the texture can be really off-putting to some people. Even those who eat them won't say they taste exactly like pasta.

When I'm wanting to reduce the calories in a dish, I will often make vegetable noodles with my spiralizer. Zucchini or cucumber work really well, I've also seen people do butternut squash, sweet potatoes, or even beets.

Or you can just follow the advice above and remind your body that your brain is in charge of what you eat. I find that mixing lots of vegetables and protein (beans or tofu for me, you can use whatever you enjoy) with my pasta helps me be satisfied with a reasonable serving.
  • steengod
    steengod Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    cheap pasta is only made from flour and water, others adds egg.

You can pasta made from soya- or black beans instead, I will guess the one from soya has less calories than the ordinary one.
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Some people really like Shirataki or Miracle "pasta". Just be sure to Google cooking instructions and wash and cook them EXACTLY as recommended by others.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    steengod wrote: »
    cheap pasta is only made from flour and water, others adds egg.

You can pasta made from soya- or black beans instead, I will guess the one from soya has less calories than the ordinary one.

The calories are pretty much the same -- the difference is usually in the protein content.
  • Cbestinme
    Cbestinme Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Some people find shirataki noodles to be a good replacement for pasta. They have zero calories, but the taste and the texture can be really off-putting to some people. Even those who eat them won't say they taste exactly like pasta.

When I'm wanting to reduce the calories in a dish, I will often make vegetable noodles with my spiralizer. Zucchini or cucumber work really well, I've also seen people do butternut squash, sweet potatoes, or even beets.

Or you can just follow the advice above and remind your body that your brain is in charge of what you eat. I find that mixing lots of vegetables and protein (beans or tofu for me, you can use whatever you enjoy) with my pasta helps me be satisfied with a reasonable serving.

Are these shirataki noodles a specialty item in special stores?

Zucchini pasta sounds interesting - I may have to ask how you make the vegetable noodles?

I did throw in lots of vegetables in my meal it was 800 calories total, half for the pasta alone, other half for yummy stuff, protein, veggies, sauce :)

I think the advice is maybe add even more vegetables? Ok lol. Or *gasp eat only one serving of pasta? Before brain trains body to be happy with less, what tricks are there?

• Cbestinme
    Options
    Listen to what your brain tells you. Log your meals and hit your calorie goal. You can eat anything you like.

Nice!! :)
  • maeggggan
    maeggggan Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    zoodles are the BEST! (zuchini noodles)
  • Cbestinme
    Options
    I had this fantasy too, but a quick survey of what's on the shelf at my Ralph's shows that all the veggie and whole wheat and protein variations have pretty much the same calories. A cup at 200 cals is how I go, and I bulk it out with veg.

Thanks for this, now I finally know what people on mfp mean by "bulk",...lots of veggies, ok got it. Will go crazy with veggies :)
  • Cbestinme
    Options
    neldabg wrote: »
    Some people really like Shirataki or Miracle "pasta". Just be sure to Google cooking instructions and wash and cook them EXACTLY as recommended by others.

Ok will do, thanks!
  • FindingCynSporation
    Options
    I make zucchini pasta when I get the carb cravings. I have a mandolin to cut the zucchini (you can also use a spiralizer.) I usually saute some garlic and onion in a pan, then add in the zucchini until it wilts, usually it's just a few minutes. I add in a low-cal marinara when I don't have time to make my own, top it with some parmesan cheese, and eat away! And I feel SO much better (physically and mentally) the next day.My body doesn't feel run down from the massive carb intake, and I don't feel guilty for eating so much. It can be a super quick meal that's really satisfying!
  • Lord007
    Lord007 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Cbestinme wrote: »

You can find Shirataki noodles at Asian markets. They're typically in a refridgerated section, near tofu and the like. I like them. They do have a "ocean " odor if not rinsed very thoroughly, because of the solution it's stored in, so they're best consumed with a bolder sauces, i.e marinara, and flavors. A 2 serving bag is about $2. (It only has <10 calories per serving)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    You could try Shirataki noodles, but I don't find them to be acceptable at all for traditional pasta dishes...I only use them when I'm doing Asian cuisine. Pasta is calorie dense...that's just the way it is and it doesn't matter if it's whole grain or not. Bulk up your pasta dishes with veggies and other things.

I actually don't eat pasta as a main course very often...I usually have it as a side.
  • JinjoJoey
    JinjoJoey Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    You can find Shirataki noodles at most Walmart stores. I just started buying them last month and although, they aren't identical to real pasta, obviously, they're pretty damn good. The ones I buy at Walmart are 15 calories per serving and two servings per bag. It's a pretty big bag for 30 calories. Last night, I had two bags for 60 calories and a chicken broth cube for 5 calories. All in all, 65 calories for something that tasted extremely close to Ramen noodles. I've also had them with spaghetti sauce which is pretty darn good too, all things considered. I was a pretty picky eater in the past as well, so the fact that I don't mind having these should tell you something. I've not tried the 0 calorie ones, though. Like others have mentioned, just rinse them thoroughly in a strainer before you boil or whatever. Once you season them with something, add a sauce or broth, you don't notice any odd flavors anyway. I'm, honestly, so happy I found these things!
  • MelanieCN77
    Options
    neldabg wrote: »

Yeah I did not find that stuff like pasta at all and not very good.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

Zucchini pasta sounds interesting - I may have to ask how you make the vegetable noodles?

I did throw in lots of vegetables in my meal it was 800 calories total, half for the pasta alone, other half for yummy stuff, protein, veggies, sauce :)

I think the advice is maybe add even more vegetables? Ok lol. Or *gasp eat only one serving of pasta? Before brain trains body to be happy with less, what tricks are there?

I have seen the shirataki noodles at Asian markets and Whole Foods. I think you can also order them online.

I ordered my Vegetti (inexpensive spiralizer) online, but I've also seen them at discount stores in the kitchen section. It works fine, although there are also much more expensive models.

I usually just eat one serving of pasta when I have it -- or half of a serving. I find that it satisfies me when I have lots of vegetables with the meal -- either a big salad on the side or some roasted vegetables mixed with the pasta and sauce. Although if you want to "spend" your calories on pasta, there's nothing wrong with that. Just arrange your other meals for the day to make it fit.
  • MiMi_5151
    MiMi_5151 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti squash!
  • Cbestinme
    Options
    I make zucchini pasta when I get the carb cravings. I have a mandolin to cut the zucchini (you can also use a spiralizer.) I usually saute some garlic and onion in a pan, then add in the zucchini until it wilts, usually it's just a few minutes. I add in a low-cal marinara when I don't have time to make my own, top it with some parmesan cheese, and eat away! And I feel SO much better (physically and mentally) the next day.My body doesn't feel run down from the massive carb intake, and I don't feel guilty for eating so much. It can be a super quick meal that's really satisfying!

Inspiring, may experiment with something on one of those not hungry days (if they come my way again). I do add zucchini as a veggie, maybe just add more and more and less snd less of pasta and see whether i can get to pasta free zucchini noodles. My body just wants it all carbs, proteins, fats, sigh, lol ;)
  • MelanieCN77
    Options

Thanks for this, now I finally know what people on mfp mean by "bulk",...lots of veggies, ok got it. Will go crazy with veggies :)

Yeah if I take the time to chop an onion and some broccoli and mushrooms and so on you can get a nice mix going.