Options
2»

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Hi MFPers,

How do you answer the question "have you lost weight?"

I say "yes!" with enthusiasm and with a happy look on my face. If they follow up I go from there (normal follow ups are "great job" or "you look great" or "I should do that, what did you do?"). If someone says (this is rare) don't lose too much, I say "I won't!" or if they say "you aren't trying to lose more are you?" I just shrug or say "trying to keep fit" or whatever I feel like, really, who cares?
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    My client once asked me if i was ok and not sick, seeing that I've lost so much weight. I know him for a very long time, and he himself was sick once and lost alot. So that's out of concern. So usually people coment how great i look now, some ask how I'm doing it,some say don't lose any more, which i still do, and still have extra weight that i don't need around. Now i tell people that I've been working on it for quite a few months, no, I'm not sick and it's intentional weight loss. I do look and feel so much better, i appreciate the compliments, i work hard and it's nice to be this way. If someone is interested, i would briefly tell the basic principles, depends who I'm talking to. I'm very introverted too, and usually do not want any attention from people, but at the same time I'm really proud of my progress, over 71lbs lost. So i do take credit, and say thank you for the compliments and for noticing.
  • daniip_la
    daniip_la Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I always say "yes", a bit excitedly. I've lost 70+lbs, so it's a shock for people who haven't seen me in a while. But I also have 120+lbs more to lose, so I don't have to worry about the "you should stop now" comments.
  • Intentional_Me
    Intentional_Me Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    daniip_la wrote: »
    I always say "yes", a bit excitedly. I've lost 70+lbs, so it's a shock for people who haven't seen me in a while. But I also have 120+lbs more to lose, so I don't have to worry about the "you should stop now" comments.

Same here. I've lost about 71 and still have at least 85 to go so no negative comments yet.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Hi MFPers,

How do you answer the question "have you lost weight?"

I'm so reluctant to say anything to friends or colleagues, because the minute one upsets the status quo suddenly all the "you're getting too skinny", "one little piece won't hurt!", and other passive aggressive comments start.

Advice?

With, Yes...thanks

I've never had any of those other comments thrown my way really...if I want to eat something I eat it...if I don't, I don't...it's pretty simple and really, I stopped caring about what people think back in highschool...I'm a grown *kitten* man, I do what I want.

I usually cycle during my lunch break and I do occasionally get some flack for not going out with everyone to whatever restaurant...but I'd rather go knock out 20 miles than eat at some slop house like Appllebees (I'm a food snob)...but really, I don't care because A. they're mostly joking around; B. most of my colleagues are fat...I am not; C. I'm very fit...most of my colleagues can barely get from the parking lot to the building without being winded...so yeah....don't really give a rats *kitten*.

You do you and stop worrying about what the peanut gallery has to say.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    "Yes, thank you"

When asked if I plan to lose more, I say that I'm working on body composition and fitness goals now. When asked how I did it, I say "diet and exercise".

I'm not comfortable with attention, so I usually answer the questions briefly and then try changing the subject.
  • NewGemini130
    NewGemini130 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    A coworker yesterday asked if I was dieting- really she was noticing I'd lost. I just said "yes, yes I am." And then she just said keep it up. If it's people I know (which anyone would be to notice) I assume good intentions, even though I would hardly ever say things like this to others, personally. If they ask how or whatever I just say something generic to move the conversation on like "walking and monitoring my calories"
  • born_of_fire74
    born_of_fire74 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Have I lost weight is not a difficult one to answer for me but I do dislike having to deal with the ones who ask me if I'm anorexic or bulimic now. No one believes a no answer because people with a ED will deny it so it goes on and on: "are you anorexic/bulimic?" "no" "but you'd say that even if you were" "yea I prolly would but I'm not" "really?" "yes really" "but you'd say that anyway" "true, but I'm not" "you promise?" "yes" "are you sure?" "yes, I promise I don't have an ED" etc. etc.

It's really bad with my mom especially. One day, I finally jumped out of my chair, pointed my butt at her, flexed my biceps and said "You don't get buns and guns like these if you have an ED, mom." That seems to have worked for the moment. I know she loves me and is simply looking out for me but it gets tedious.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it might be friendly interest but if they are getting passive aggressive, just remind yourself that that part is about themselves. Dismiss it, verbally if you must, and don't let them put it on you.
  • stephenearllucas
    stephenearllucas Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I just tell them that someone said they wanted to see less of me, so I'm obliging them by becoming....less.
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    The question that makes me uncomfortable is-- "what are you doing?
    Maybe it's just me, but I don't really like getting into all of it.

And what I have found is that most don't really want to know specifics, so I just say I no longer eat everything I want to eat
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,381 Member
    Options
    last nite i went to a potluck where a few ppl haven't seen me for a while (I lost 23lbs so far), they noticed & said i looked good. The only thing that really annoyed me was when my friend who came with me & knows what i'm doing was "monitoring" what i ate. She asked me "can you eat that"? when i got a small serving of beans. I said i can eat whatever I want. When she was going to say something else I told her i don't want to talk about it, I'm fine. I didn't want to be the center of conversation, It kind of upset me
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    I usually reply with, " Lost weight? Oh God, I hope not. I'm trying to build muscle and not in any way want to resemble a drenched emaciated bird"

Starting out as huge as I was, I tended to shoot off the hip with, " Well, I don't rightly know if the scale has shifted from this morning, but shall we start stepping on the scale together to track our loses?" Nosey bullies are usually scared to be accountable to someone else.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    People don't seem to ask me if I've lost weight but rather, they will say something like "How on earth did you lose so much weight?" even though they don't yet actually know how much. I feel uncomfortable with this question as it makes me feel like I must have looked SO bad before, given tne shock and giant eyes and so on, but I answer honestly, "Diet and exercise." I feel like I'm being asked for some secret amazing no fail formula or something and I hate to see the person's disappointment that nope, it still comes down to restricting. I don't like to disappoint anyone but what else can I say? This is how I did it.

I have also gotten "I am jealous" and then I really don't know what to say. Last time I stupidly answered "Don't be, I'm starving!" just out of nervousness and literally not knowing what the heck else to say. I am certainly not used to anyone being jealous of my weight or my body. What do you say??? I mean obviously it is generally an overweight person saying s/he is jealous. I still, even in retrospect, don't know how I was supposed to answer that.

I WANT to be slender and have worked hard at it, I am not trying to complain or act put out, but I absolutely am uncomfortable with these questions.
  • Lynzdee18
    Lynzdee18 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Have I lost weight? Not recently, but I think YOU gained some, am I right?
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    icemom011 wrote: »
    My client once asked me if i was ok and not sick, seeing that I've lost so much weight. I know him for a very long time, and he himself was sick once and lost alot. So that's out of concern. So usually people coment how great i look now, some ask how I'm doing it,some say don't lose any more, which i still do, and still have extra weight that i don't need around. Now i tell people that I've been working on it for quite a few months, no, I'm not sick and it's intentional weight loss. I do look and feel so much better, i appreciate the compliments, i work hard and it's nice to be this way. If someone is interested, i would briefly tell the basic principles, depends who I'm talking to. I'm very introverted too, and usually do not want any attention from people, but at the same time I'm really proud of my progress, over 71lbs lost. So i do take credit, and say thank you for the compliments and for noticing.

I've had "Don't lose any more" too. Seriously? I'm five foot one and 160 pounds.
  • jolive7
    jolive7 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Have you lost weight - no I have lost fat I actually weigh the same.. gainz baby