Push-ups are the devil!

I'm a 39 year old woman, 190 lbs and 5'9" (down from 284) ... I have been doing group training classes for 2 years (3x wk) and now personal training for 4 months (2x wk with a goal of being able to do ONE "real man" push-up) ... and I still can't!

My first trainer focused a lot on triceps, shoulders, core, push-up negatives, chest ... my new one straps me into a harness once a week and has me do 100 push-ups (5 sets of 20) using the stack weights to help take weight off me. We started at 100lbs and are down to 40 lbs of counter-weight, but at 40 lbs I have to take a zillion breaks and I want to cry. I also do push-ups on my steps at home ... but I still can't do even one regular one.

I can push 750 lbs + on the prowler sled, climb the rope multiple times, do deadlifts/squats and weights I never imagined ... but the stupid push-up escapes me. What more can I do???

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    I hate them too!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,463 Member
    Maybe it's just not meant to be for some of us. :'(
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    i'm trying. i really am . . . i have one shoulder that always wants to go rogue when i bench, and i feel like if i could just learn to control it through some kind of pushup progression, and then flip that whole feel upside down, i'd be good.

but geez. i can bench 80 pounds for 5 reps and i weigh 135 or so atm. you'd think knee pushups would be do-able, right? not really.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Hmm... I don't know what more you can do. I love push-ups it's my most favourite exercise to do!! I started off by doing knee push-ups, incorporating 1 toe push-up with each set! Increasing each time! The best I can say is just keep at it!
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,997 Member
    edited November 2016
    Time, repetition and perseverance.

Worth the effort. I did a 100/day challenge in Aug which got me doing 50-150/day since then. Strict planks, including declines. Also doing dips and pullups, all of which have helped to build up my pecs, shoulders, back and arms, which has assisted in building strength to do even heavier BPs, OHPs and Rows.

• VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    edited November 2016
    @buffalogal42, I don't have any push up advice but that's an awesome job on the weight loss! Congrats!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Also 190lbs in a lot to push ..as you lose weight and gain strength it will get easier
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    i really like this little clip. https://youtu.be/qpcBos-EUug

feel like if i just study it for long enough, the lightbulb will turn into actual form corrections.
  • kkapow03
    kkapow03 Posts: 7 Member
    You don't have to do 'manly' pushups for them to be effective. I have a shattered, inoperable left shoulder, so I do modified pushups against my kitchen counter, I stand about 2-3 feet from the counter, and do my pushups using the counter as my 'floor'. I have been successful doing them this way; with my injured shoulder, I'll never be able to do regular pushups, so this works for me.

I have to modify a lot of my exercises; even walking on my TreadClimber; I had to start with the treadles locked into the flat treadmill to begin, then started increasing the resistance on the hydraulic cylinders until I was able to walk that without getting so out of breath, I've been able to increase my speed and can now use the treadles in the unlocked position to use the machine as it was intended; baby steps, I know, but it's working for me. I have a LOT of weight to lose, so any small success is a reason to celebrate for me! And my entering every morsel of food I put in my mouth into the food data base keeps me accountable also; I don't feel the need to 'cheat', because I know I have to look at it when I calculate my daily calorie intake.
    Congratulations on your journey! I know it's very hard, but you are doing great!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    i really like this little clip. https://youtu.be/qpcBos-EUug

feel like if i just study it for long enough, the lightbulb will turn into actual form corrections.

I love those videos ...thanks for sharing @canadianlbs ...
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    That's very odd to be able to do rope climbs but not a push up. I wonder if your form is so horrible that you aren't allowing yourself to build the proper mechanics.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    rybo wrote: »
    That's very odd to be able to do rope climbs but not a push up. I wonder if your form is so horrible that you aren't allowing yourself to build the proper mechanics.

That's what I was thinking. Pushups should be much easier for most people than rope climbing. I'd pursue the form/injury road.
  • buffalogal42
    buffalogal42 Posts: 374 Member

You'd think my trainers would tell me!
  • buffalogal42
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    Also 190lbs in a lot to push ..as you lose weight and gain strength it will get easier

I agree ... but I see a lot of people heavier than me who can do at least a couple!
  • buffalogal42

sgt1372 wrote: »
    Time, repetition and perseverance.

Worth the effort. I did a 100/day challenge in Aug which got me doing 50-150/day since then. Strict planks, including declines. Also doing dips and pullups, all of which have helped to build up my pecs, shoulders, back and arms, which has assisted in building strength to do even heavier BPs, OHPs and Rows.

You are probably right - more time and perseverance!! It's just when I see all these "learn to do pushups in 30 days" things I am irritated! Lol
  • Packerjohn
    edited November 2016

Something is not adding up somewhere. I can't picture someone that has the core and upper body strength to climb ropes and push a 750 pound prowler not able to do a single push up.

Best of luck
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,462 Member
    edited November 2016
    I think that many women have difficulty with upper body strength, and I think maybe some more than others - I know I do! I spent about a year trying to do push-ups while also losing weight and approaching age 50, even though I had never managed to do a single one when young, slim and fit! . I regularly tried incline pushups, and would also frequently have a go at trying to a proper pushup. I missed out the knee pushups, as my knees hurt and they didn't feel right. Anyway, I finally got there, while still in the obese range.

I carried on doing them regularly then had a back injury last year, so stopped for a while, and now am nowhere near being able to do them (despite being lighter than when I could do them before). They really are hard! And it's obviously a case of use it or lose it! Like you I'm OK with squats and deadlifts, but always struggled to progress on OHP and BP. I think it's really, really difficult to get those upper body muscles big and strong, and that's where the problems lies.

As I say, although it took a very long time (I think about a year, although I can't quite remember) I did get there eventually, so there is definitely hope for you!

Good luck, and congratulations on the almost 100lb weight loss!
  • buffalogal42
    Packerjohn wrote: »

Something is note adding up somewhere. I can't picture someone that has the core and upper body strength to climb ropes and push a 750 pound prowler not able to do a single push up.

Best of luck

I'll get a pic up here one of these days so you can see. ;-)

Actually, my first trainer told me he thought something was wrong with my brain, not my body, since I still can't do them! Lol
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn wrote: »

Something is note adding up somewhere. I can't picture someone that has the core and upper body strength to climb ropes and push a 750 pound prowler not able to do a single push up.

Best of luck

I'll get a pic up here one of these days so you can see. ;-)

Actually, my first trainer told me he thought something was wrong with my brain, not my body, since I still can't do them! Lol

Yeah strength is not an issue