Push-ups are the devil!

Replies

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    I can do low incline push ups just fine, but a real one on the toes? Nope.

It takes time and doing progressions. Some people feel that no one will make any progression by doing them from the knees which is why I've concentrated on making progress doing incline push ups with lowering inclines. I don't know how true this is.

I know another thing you can do is negatives to help build strength. I can do those too.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    I can do low incline push ups just fine, but a real one on the toes? Nope.

It takes time and doing progressions. Some people feel that no one will make any progression by doing them from the knees which is why I've concentrated on making progress doing incline push ups with lowering inclines. I don't know how true this is.

I know another thing you can do is negatives to help build strength. I can do those too.

Yes, this is generally considered better than pushups from the knees. Doing the pushups from the knees takes out much of the core work needed for pushups.

This article explains it pretty well:
    https://breakingmuscle.com/bodyweight/why-knee-push-ups-wont-make-you-any-stronger
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    I do pushups against the kitchen counter, not the floor.

Many years ago, I was in a car accident and dislocated my sterno-clavicular joint. (That's where your clavicles meat your sternum, sort of where your neck becomes your chest.) I've healed up, but full pushups stress it too much.
  • astrocosmiczoom
    astrocosmiczoom Posts: 86 Member
    When training for the military, I couldn't do one either. I had never been able to do even one. I don't know what magic happened. I just did calisthenics workouts and knee push-ups every single day until I could do about 30. Then, I could do about one "real" push-up. From there, over a few months, I pushed it out to three, then five, then ten, then fifteen. Now during my fitness test I can usually do about 35, but have done as many as 47 in a minute. They're my least favorite part, though.

A huge difference in number of push-ups for me is where your arms are positioned. I tend to do them more wide-arm, with my elbows pointing out to either side, but some people like to do them with elbows-in, so when they go down, their elbows go back instead of to the sides. I find this works triceps and I absolutely cannot do them. The wider-arm variation relies more on chest and shoulder muscles, which I have. I can crank out maybe two the triceps way. Find the most comfortable arm position for you, because hey - a push-up is a push-up.
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    edited November 2016
    I am working on pushups too, gradually lowering the incline (I use the smith machine bar for this). One thing that has helped me a lot is to keep elbows in rather than flaring them wide. This puts less stress on my shoulders. So your mileage may vary with form changes. I also found that as my plank time increased, my pushups got easier.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited November 2016
    rybo wrote: »
    That's very odd to be able to do rope climbs but not a push up. I wonder if your form is so horrible that you aren't allowing yourself to build the proper mechanics.

i'm closer to getting the pullup thing than i am with pushups. and i rock the overhead press, form-and-mechanics wise. my bench press, not nearly so much.

i think it's easier for me to stabilize/depress my wingy left shoulderblade when i'm doing it in the same plane as the force i'm using to do the lift/exercise. dk if that makes sense, but i'm pulling 'down' anyway against the pullup bar, so it's like the stability work can just shirt-tail on that. and i'm pushing 'up' anyway with my upper traps with an overhead press. so it's not as hard for my lower traps to pitch in and pull 'down'.

with a pushup and bench i'm trying to hold that shoulderblade down and in, but the 'force' of a pushup and bench is at right angles to that. so it's a pat-head-rub-tummy huh what? firestorm just in that one sector of my body.

**thanks to everyone for all the input and helpful tips here. and the op. i'm really starting to get all determined about getting this now **
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    handstand pushups on the jungle gym are the hardest to get good at spotter is a must
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    pushups are a body weight exercise. the more you weigh the harder they are. you can be very strong, but for every extra pound of body weight, its gonna be that much harder. Do a plank with your hands on the scale to get an idea of how much that # is. When i'm 190 i can only do a couple pushups. When i'm 130 i can do pushups all day long. Keep using the counter weight, so you are at least getting in the exercise. You will get stronger. You may or may not get strong enough to do a pushup at 190, but you will gain strength. If you are planning on losing more weight, you'll notice you'll start to be able to do more pushups as you lose weight. Even five pound weight loss makes a difference
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited November 2016
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    pushups are a body weight exercise. the more you weigh the harder they are. you can be very strong, but for every extra pound of body weight, its gonna be that much harder. Do a plank with your hands on the scale to get an idea of how much that # is. When i'm 190 i can only do a couple pushups. When i'm 130 i can do pushups all day long. Keep using the counter weight, so you are at least getting in the exercise. You will get stronger. You may or may not get strong enough to do a pushup at 190, but you will gain strength. If you are planning on losing more weight, you'll notice you'll start to be able to do more pushups as you lose weight. Even five pound weight loss makes a difference

I agree, but the OP says she can climb a rope at 190. Most people would find that much harder than a pushup.
  • SonyaCele
    Packerjohn wrote: »

I agree, but the OP says she can climb a rope at 190. Most people would find that much harder than a pushup.

i saw that, maybe she can clarify how she's climbing the rope, if she's using her legs to help climb up that would explain that. The prowler she'd be using her legs, so you can't really compare prowler to pushup.
  • Lynzdee18
    Lynzdee18 Posts: 500 Member
    My most hated exercise is the machine thingy where you brace your forearms and hold onto handles with your back to a board and lift your freaking legs slowly up and down while holding your tummy muscles tight. Argh.
  • Okohme
    Okohme Posts: 152 Member
    I tried to do this program where you're supposed to be able to work up to being able to 100 push-ups. After about three months I gave up when I could still do 0 real, regular push-ups. :(
  • buffalogal42
    buffalogal42 Posts: 374 Member

I can. I am up to 7 times up/down the rope in 3 minutes. I found once I figured out how to use my feet/legs to help me up that the rope was doable!
  • buffalogal42

i saw that, maybe she can clarify how she's climbing the rope, if she's using her legs to help climb up that would explain that. The prowler she'd be using her legs, so you can't really compare prowler to pushup.

Yep. Very strong legs!
  • Charis50
    Charis50 Posts: 181 Member
    Can you hold a plank for any period of time? Just curious. (I can't do rope climbing OR a full push-up....)
  • buffalogal42
    Charis50 wrote: »
    Can you hold a plank for any period of time? Just curious. (I can't do rope climbing OR a full push-up....)

I am ok at planks for about a minute at a time. Part of my training is doing five 1 min planks with 1 min between, starting with a 25 lb weight on my back and working down to no weight on the last one. I am dead by the 3rd one! Sometimes I have to drop to rest - sometimes not. Depends on how the day goes.
  • SonyaCele
    Buffalogal, do you bench press? how much can you bench
  • Charis50
    Charis50 Posts: 181 Member

I am ok at planks for about a minute at a time. Part of my training is doing five 1 min planks with 1 min between, starting with a 25 lb weight on my back and working down to no weight on the last one. I am dead by the 3rd one! Sometimes I have to drop to rest - sometimes not. Depends on how the day goes.
    [/quote]

Well, that blows my theory. :) If you can plank with added weight and do the rope thing, I have no clue why push ups are your nemesis....
  • buffalogal42
    Charis50 wrote: »

Well, that blows my theory. :) If you can plank with added weight and do the rope thing, I have no clue why push ups are your nemesis.... [/quote]

ME EITHER!!! Lol