Looking for a good Horror Movie

Options
1235»

Replies

• sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    Really good ones I liked were -The Marsh,Insidious,Boo,Rose Red,Diary of Ellen Rimbauer,Haunting of Whaley House,1408,Amityville,What Lies Beneath,The Others,The Haunting,Gacy House,wicked little things,Intruders,ATM,The Haunting of Winchester House,Orphan,The Ward,Session 9,A Haunting in Salem,The Skeleton Key,Dark Fields,Sinister theres more good ones we have watched but these are the ones I remembered off hand.....I really liked The Marsh one that one is good if you like the more creepy less gory types of films that are more realistic. Forest Whitaker is in that one and is awesome actor....made my husband jump a few times watching that one.
  • jamiek917
    jamiek917 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    The Conjuring was one of the better horror movies ive seen in years. nothing scares me (seeing the Exorcist at age 11 by myself set the bar pretty high- scared the *kitten* out of me) but ive thought very few horror movies over the years have been truly good. This movie is on par or better than the Ring, which I thought was pretty damn creepy.
  • Malita55
    Malita55 Posts: 15
    Options
    If you ever decide to watch a gorry movie, try The Hills Have Eyes and all five of the Saw movies
  • bettacheckyoself
    Options
    A really good mystery/thriller : The Prestige
  • lilliiii2122
    Options
    The Cabin in the Woods is awesome and I enjoyed the hell out of it. (It's satirical horror, not so much scary as hilarious... I haven't yet met a person who didn't love it).
    I personally didn't find Sinister that frightening, but most reviewers/my friends felt otherwise, so you could give that one a whirl.

Edited because lol I forgot how to grammar.
    haha that movie was great.. I heard a theory somewhere that the "gods" were a metaphor for the viewers and if things didn't happen the way we wanted them to, we'd give the movie bad reviews :P
  • sam308lbs
    sam308lbs Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    dead silence
  • rushikareddy
    rushikareddy Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Exorcism of Emily Rose ! One if my favourites! Waiting for ' The Conjuring ' too!
  • Katrina_vw91
    Katrina_vw91 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    The Evil Dead remake is pretty creepy... I actually had trouble sleeping after I watched it.
  • lj8576
    lj8576 Posts: 156
    Options
    I loved Evil Dead remake and original. I hope they make a sequel. I like most horor movies though. I work nights so when I am off thats what I do at night, after I work out of course.
  • alikonda
    alikonda Posts: 2,358 Member
    Options
    I love horror movies but also do not particularly care for violence and gore.

Cabin in the Woods is every horror movie ever made, all wrapped into one package with a healthy dose of intellectual satire. It's AMAZING (but not if you're just looking for scares).

Movies I thought were actually spooky:
    --Ju-On (The Japanese movie that Hollywood ruined with The Grudge)
    --The Ring (For once, I thought the Hollywood version was better; the Japanese version explained more of the story, but I couldn't get over how FUNNY the visuals were. In this single instance, Hollywood special effects won.)
    --Mama (This doesn't have the lasting scares of "Oh God, I will never sleep again" but it's pretty dang scary
    --Vacancy (I'm not usually one for slasher films, but this is scary because the main characters, for once, are not STUPID.)
    --The Strangers

Horror movies that have awesome visuals/atmosphere:
    --Silent Hill
    --El Orfanato
    --Insidious

I didn't think Woman in Black was remotely scary. Dead Silence was fun if you think Ventriloquist dolls are creepy.

I have other suggestions if you're into the type of movie that just leaves you feeling uneasy and nervous, rather than making you outright scared.

(Edit for visual clarity)
  • Maribel_1986
    Maribel_1986 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Insidious
    The Conjuring
    Sinister