Does weight loss make you happy?

Options
124»

Replies

• jadelois
    jadelois Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the reason you begin losing weight. If its from a hatred of yourself then you don't magically learn to love yourself after you lose the weight.
    I lost in excess of 50lbs and still had a dislike for myself and actually ended up suffering a period of depression at that point in time before putting about 36lbs back on (combination of medication and old habits). This time I am doing it out of self care and I'm more hopeful that this way it will stay off.
  • happygalah
    happygalah Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I am generally a happy person regardless of what I weigh. I do enjoy seeing the scale go down and the new clothes in smaller sizes. I suppose my main issues are with other people. There were no shortage of people ready to hate on you for being fat. I think my ex thought I might ditch him when I lost the weight so at my lowest weight and happiest I'd been in a long time, he cheated on me and ditched me.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    sure, but in the same way a lot of things make me happy: up to the limits of its own context.

it doesn't fix everything, but you might as well still be happy in the areas of life where it's possible.
  • tinamarie6624
    tinamarie6624 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I am a long way from my goal but I have made such huge strides and I am so much happier than I was last year. I started at 378 Lbs and I am now 238 Lbs so I have lost 140 which is a lot and has affected all aspects of my life. One of my co-workers said a few weeks ago that I just generally seemed happier. I am also much more fit and active so that adds to my happiness. I would not want to go back to my old self for anything and I will lose the last 123 Lbs and make my goal.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    Not the weightloss itself. But the sense of acheivement, the feeling of control in my life and the ease of moving around etc Thos things make me happy. Also of course the endorfins in excersise.
    It has heled me to see again what I like doing - going for a hard slog and achieving major things. So far it has spille over into other parts of my life, specifically my career
  • fairviewim
    fairviewim Posts: 8 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I'd say yes, because I'm not ashamed of looking like I did. Even when I thought I looked nice, but later saw a picture of myself, I would cringe. But also, not being in pain and feel like I'm lumbering about (see below) is really nice!

Now, when I was younger and not really overweight, I wasn't very happy, so it certainly isn't just weight.

Also, I had 2 knee replacements, so being able to exercise again, and even walk w\o pain and walk up and down steps one foot after another for the first time in over a dozen years, definitely makes me feel pretty damn good. In May, 2015, I weighed 264. I had my second knee replacement in Oct., 2015. I lost about 16 lbs. through pain pills, loss of appetite, so I figured that was a bit of an incentive going into this.

I started MFP on January 12th, weighing 248. As of today, I weighed 193, so 55 lbs. since then, total 71lbs. I have another 55 -60 to go.

Losing weight by itself doesn't make you happy, but at least it's not a disability, and that's certainly something to be grateful for in and of itself.
  • Smaya29
    Smaya29 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    All my teen years I had a beautiful body. I'm saying that because now I realize that though I wasn't exactly skinny, I had nice curves. At 115 lbs and 5'2 with a toned body, i was alright. But I was bullied by so many skinny cousins and friends. I was called fat! Later I gained some more weight, 5-10 lbs. I don't think I was fat as my body was still very toned, because I was in love with aerobic and yoga. I was bullied more because I didn't have bones sticking out of my body like my cousins. I've always had a round face so..no visible cheek bones was also different for my mom and others. Constantly being told all my life that I was seriously over weight by most of my family I got depressed and began eating to feel better. After two kids and a bad marriage, I woke up one day and weighed myself. 173 lbs!!!
    Now I'm at 152.8 lbs and have a long way to go. So, for me I guess the happiness comes from within, from blocking the toxic remarks, and being happy with who u really are. I wasn't happy with my body at 115 lbs. I'm not happy with it now. But I'm happy that I'm eating healthy and looking better than before with every passing week. I am happy that I had a fit body before and I will get close to being fit again. Being able to feel that I'm lighter on my feet makes me happy. Being in control of what I eat makes me happy.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Knowing happiness doesn't come from the scale - or insensitive relations - I figure is the key to long term success.
  • STLBADGIRL
    STLBADGIRL Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    I never have called myself a "happy" person and I never have blamed fat for it.

There was an occasion on this journey when I first experienced the taste and texture of DKB toasted spread with Smucker's Natural Crunchy peanut butter, in which I admitted that I was happy with that, but for the most part I'm not happy-able.

This is kind of sad, actually.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!