Keto/Ketosis Diet, just starting, looking for advice.

Options
If anyone has done the Keto thing, please share any tips you may have.

I've always had a very strict balance to my daily macro intake, and find it a little crazy looking when I see 75% fats / 20% protein / 5% carbs.

I'm just beginning and would love to hear from anyone that has experience with this already.

I've been intermittent fasting for a long time, mostly out of pure convenience in the morning, it seemed to slightly help with my body fat % but it didn't make a huge difference like some claim. I'm wondering if I should continue fasting in the mornings or if I should start eating breakfast.

What can I expect by entering into this crazy world of keto?

Thanks in advance for any help and advice!

Replies

• kricard86
    kricard86 Posts: 50 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I've done keto on and off for some time. First, warning, the carb flu. For about a week, I felt very lethargic and tired. I lost too much weight too fast. But I was not counting calories at the time. I noticed that the majority of foods I would flock to were very unhealthy, so I started eating more fish. My niece lost 40 lbs in a little over a month. Love the lifestyle but its so strict, I had a hard time staying on for long periods of time. As far as losing the weight, it comes right off...especially after the first week.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I would join the Low Carber Daily MFP group. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group It's where most keto'ers hang out. There is a wide variety of eating styles in there too from vegetarian to carnivorous, as well as a variety of activity levels from bulking to endurance athletes to sedentary.

The "keto flu is actually an electrolyte imbalance. When you cut carbs you will lose water weight. Usually just a couple pounds at most. When the water is lost t takes electrolytes with it. Most people will get too low in sodium unless they add a lot more to their diet. 3000-5000mg per day, or 1-2 teaspoons of salt. Symptoms of low electrolytes include headaches, brain fog, moodiness, fatigue and nausea

If you let sodium go low and stay low, you will start losing potassium and magnesium. Once these get low you may get muscle cramps and aches, and may need to supplement with K and Mg for a time.

I've been keto for about a year and a half. I eat pretty normally when compared to most people unless they are eating a carb focused meal like waffles for brunch or a pasta bowl with bread. My meals are based around meat, veggies, eggs, full fat dairy (cheese, butter, 14%sour cream, whipping cream), nuts and seeds, coconut and a few "fruits" like avocado, olives, and some berries. I skip the fillers like rice, potatoes, bread, beans and noodles. I skip most fruits, especially dried and tropical. I also avoid baked goods and grains.

Yesterday I had coffee with coconut oil, tuna, cashews, and tacos (seasoned ground beef, avocado, sourcream, cheese and peppers in a bowl). Not that unusual. The day before had some eggs, a salad, ham and peas, and macadamia nuts.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I've been keto for about a year and a half. I eat pretty normally when compared to most people unless they are eating a carb focused meal like waffles for brunch or a pasta bowl with bread. My meals are based around meat, veggies, eggs, full fat dairy (cheese, butter, 14%sour cream, whipping cream), nuts and seeds, coconut and a few "fruits" like avocado, olives, and some berries. I skip the fillers like rice, potatoes, bread, beans and noodles. I skip most fruits, especially dried and tropical.

I understand the basics of keto etc but am interested; you say you have been keto for 1.5 years but for how much of it do you think you have been in ketosis? Do you do re-feeds at all? Thanks in advance.
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    Stay hydrated and Avoid an electrolyte imbalance.
  • kimberlyb6682
    kimberlyb6682 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    when I first started researching keto I thought how the heck do you eat 80% fat a day? now that I've been on it for 6 weeks it's really not the difficult. I didn't experience the keto flu I'm not sure if it's because I keep my sodium levels high or if it's because I've been in ketosis many time before over the years with atkins.
  • hydrostation
    hydrostation Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Wow, so much awesome info thank you guys so much!!! Sounds like I'm going to start eating breakfast again.

Have you been able to build muscle while on keto? I know losing body fat becomes a pieces of cake, which is what I'm gunning for, but how's the building/bulking ability?
  • nupururja
    nupururja Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    My husband & I have been Keto for the last 10 months. He lost 92lbs, from 280 to 188, I lost 68lbs from 198 to 130.

My average Macros are 7% carbs (under 20g), 55% fat, 38% protein (10 month average)

I work out 5x a week. A minimum workout is 45 mins treadmill for cardio and 30 mins strength / circuit training.
    I am at 21% bodyfat, which is quite low for a woman of 46!

Neither of us have experienced carb flu. We have endless energy. We have never fasted (well, not intentionally!), but have found it easy to go longer periods between meals if having a busy day or doing a long trip.

My best advice is:
    1. Be strict with yourself. Put treats, cheats & rewards out of your mind. You are here to do a job, concentrate on getting it done.
    2. Keep it simple. Find key ingredients you can work with that fit your Macros.
    3. Pre-cook & pre-portion. It's much easier to keep on track if you can just grab a tub out of the fridge with your measured ingredients or finished meal.
    4. Apart from nuts & vegetables (greener & leafier the better!) eat out of the fridge. If it's in the pantry, it's not for you!

Hope this helps!!

great job! Do you set daily calories limit? what are your macros? Thanks :)
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I've been keto for about a year and a half. I eat pretty normally when compared to most people unless they are eating a carb focused meal like waffles for brunch or a pasta bowl with bread. My meals are based around meat, veggies, eggs, full fat dairy (cheese, butter, 14%sour cream, whipping cream), nuts and seeds, coconut and a few "fruits" like avocado, olives, and some berries. I skip the fillers like rice, potatoes, bread, beans and noodles. I skip most fruits, especially dried and tropical.

I understand the basics of keto etc but am interested; you say you have been keto for 1.5 years but for how much of it do you think you have been in ketosis? Do you do re-feeds at all? Thanks in advance.

I started ketosis to deal with prediabetic insulin resistance and to help with some autoimmune disorders that I have, so I am in ketosis for the health benefits. Because I that I do not often go out of ketosis. I don't feel well when I do. I would have to guess that I've been in ketosis 97-99% of the time. I've had a few days where I had more carbs than I should, a few lately, but it's probably only 5-10 days in the last 1.5 years that I've been out of ketosis. I tend to drop the carbs quick again because I get such a drop in energy.

Check out the Low Carber Daily group. There are a few lifters in there who do TKD or cycle it. I know of a couple who do refeeds around a workout but most do not tend to have refeed days. Most seem to try to stay in ketosis or at low carb levels but may add in carbs to help along their bulk.

@Gallowmere1984 ? Were you doing TKD during your bulk?
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options

I started ketosis to deal with prediabetic insulin resistance and to help with some autoimmune disorders that I have, so I am in ketosis for the health benefits. Because I that I do not often go out of ketosis. I don't feel well when I do. I would have to guess that I've been in ketosis 97-99% of the time. I've had a few days where I had more carbs than I should, a few lately, but it's probably only 5-10 days in the last 1.5 years that I've been out of ketosis. I tend to drop the carbs quick again because I get such a drop in energy.

Check out the Low Carber Daily group. There are a few lifters in there who do TKD or cycle it. I know of a couple who do refeeds around a workout but most do not tend to have refeed days. Most seem to try to stay in ketosis or at low carb levels but may add in carbs to help along their bulk.

@Gallowmere1984 ? Were you doing TKD during your bulk?

Thanks for the insight and glad you've found what works for you. I am currently doing a modified PSMF so am dropping in and out of ketosis but it's not really about that.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I do CKD (weekly refeeds) during bulks, and TKD (dextrose preworkout) during cuts.
  • kshatriyo
    kshatriyo Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I learned as much as I could about it before starting. I read Conquer Type 2 Diebetes with a Ketogenic Diet even though I'm not doing it for diabetes, and I have a doctor who I consult with every two weeks. I ordered ketone urine strips. I made a summary page for myself, which I will paste below. I recommend to find a meal plan because the hardest part initially is keto adapting your brain and I also very strongly believe in moderating your protein as much as possible to start with to prevent cravings. Finally, if that is all too complicated for you, healthfulpursuit.com has great advice and the owner has great vlogs.

My ppersonal notes:
    1. Low blood sugar occurs as body ketoadapts. Symtoms can include nausea, dizziness, heat palpitations, hunger, lightheadedness, headaches, and shakiness. Drinking 1-2 ounces of OJ or take 1-2 glucose tablets and it should go away after 15 minutes. The worst of it should go away after 7-10 days.

2. IF you are still feel pretty hungry after following the diet two to three weeks, you need to evaluate how much carbs and protein you are getting as too many of either interferes with ketone production. A spoon of coconut oil might help you get over the hump.

3. Symtoms of dehydration, similar to #1, due to increased loss of water weight. increased thirt, dry mouth,cramping, weakness, irritabiltiy,headaches,confusion,sluggishness, fainting,dizziness. you need to bump ip minerals here are a few options. `1. chicken broth 2. green leafies. 3. homemade mineral water. follow recipe exactly: 1 quart water, 1/4 tsp now brand potassium chloride powder and exactly 1 level teaspoon of table or sea salt. miz well and store in fridge, drink one cup after breakfast and one cup after dinner but only if having the dehydration symtoms.

3. supplements to take regularly:
    magnesium citrate-see appendix a
    avocado and green leafies for potassium. (also cardia salt a salt substitute that also has potassium and magnesium)

4. if you feel unfocused or woozy feelings, drink a glass of water mixed with a quarter teaspoon of salt or the mineral water recipe mentioned above

5. constipation, any stool softener or lazative is fine. so are green veggies.

6. alternatively for dehydration side effects you can take 3 slow release magnesium tablets each day for 20 days then reduce to 1 per day

7. ketone breath. sign you are on the right track.

8. hormones changes and blood pressure drop. a racing heart. in addition tot he other recommendations drink plenty of water and diversify fats.

9. take a basic rda contraining zinc and selenium

10. nausea. spread out your fate into to smaller meals if this occurs after a meal. or talk to doctor about high lipase digestive enzymes.

multivitamin with 100% selenium and zinc
    2000 iu d3
    400mg magnesium citrate 400mg every night
    100mg coq10
    3 slow release magnesium tablets each day for 20 days then reduce to 1 per day
    use nusalt for flavoring food
    homemade mineral water. follow recipe exactly: 1 quart water, 1/4 tsp now brand potassium chloride powder and exactly 1 level teaspoon of table or sea salt. miz well and store in fridge, drink one cup after breakfast and one cup after dinner but only if having the dehydration symtoms.

• CaliforniaAJ
    CaliforniaAJ Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    nupururja wrote: »
    My husband & I have been Keto for the last 10 months. He lost 92lbs, from 280 to 188, I lost 68lbs from 198 to 130.

My average Macros are 7% carbs (under 20g), 55% fat, 38% protein (10 month average)

I work out 5x a week. A minimum workout is 45 mins treadmill for cardio and 30 mins strength / circuit training.
    I am at 21% bodyfat, which is quite low for a woman of 46!

Neither of us have experienced carb flu. We have endless energy. We have never fasted (well, not intentionally!), but have found it easy to go longer periods between meals if having a busy day or doing a long trip.

My best advice is:
    1. Be strict with yourself. Put treats, cheats & rewards out of your mind. You are here to do a job, concentrate on getting it done.
    2. Keep it simple. Find key ingredients you can work with that fit your Macros.
    3. Pre-cook & pre-portion. It's much easier to keep on track if you can just grab a tub out of the fridge with your measured ingredients or finished meal.
    4. Apart from nuts & vegetables (greener & leafier the better!) eat out of the fridge. If it's in the pantry, it's not for you!

Hope this helps!!

great job! Do you set daily calories limit? what are your macros? Thanks :)

I have averaged 1300 cals per day, over the 10 months.
    My average Macros are 7% carbs (under 20g), 55% fat, 38% protein
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Wow, so much awesome info thank you guys so much!!! Sounds like I'm going to start eating breakfast again.

Have you been able to build muscle while on keto? I know losing body fat becomes a pieces of cake, which is what I'm gunning for, but how's the building/bulking ability?

The body builders can help you more on this, but I think that you will need to replenish the glycogen stores every so often for the muscle growth.
  • Motivation72
    Motivation72 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've lost 4 stone since May 22nd with keto. No way I'll ever go back now. What I found useful was being able to see food diaries on here. Add me if it'll help. I plan my next day every night before I go to sleep so that I maintain focus. Good luck :)