New Goal Ideas

Options
As I approach my target weight for 2016, I'm trying to come up with a new goal (or new goals) to take the place of the weight loss goal for 2017. What goal (or goals) have you created once you reached your target weight? What time frame did you give yourself for your goal(s)?

Replies

• capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I have fitness goals. Like finishing my lifting program (12wks - I'm currently in my second round) or doing a pull up or chin up (still working on those).
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I second fitness goals, sign up to a 10k race mid year
  • marlysgirl
    marlysgirl Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I give myself a weekly goal of how many times/ much time I work out, I get a reward. I up the number of times I work out every week. New yoga mat, kayaking, ice skating, driving range, hot yoga, massage, etc.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Mine are fitness goals. I've not reached my goal physical weight, but as it is only a few more pounds to go, and yet I clearly need to 'tone' considerably, to get the shape I want, my goal is physical fitness.

That varies from fitting into smaller clothes smoothly, to being able to lift heavier things, and to running a Half marathon in the spring.

• ibboykin
    ibboykin Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Not sure what your exercise regimens is or what type of work you do. I work in a food warehouse and it is very physical. Lots of lifting and a truck load of steps. So I've set myself up with added steps based on my Fitbit. I easily get 15k-17k at work so my goal for 2017 is 20k steps a day.
    I don't do gyms, but I did drive by one a few years ago....a little extracurricular walking should help my mental well being.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I had fitness goals. To run a 5k, lift heavier weights, although I'm not really a deadline kind of person, so they were goals that I just had in the back of my mind. I found just joining a gym as a reward for achieving my weight loss target was just about the best thing I could have done. While my daughter swims, I work out, 4-5 times a week.

I also had other health goals (in addition to fitness) - to get my cholesterol down was the main one. It kept going up even after losing the weight..
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    My 2017 goal is to create a better relationship with food. I've gotten pretty good at losing weight, in fact I've done it over and over and over. So besides maintaining my weight, I'd like to learn how to prepare healthy and delicious meals. To educate myself on what triggers my binges and how to work through them. How to determine if Im really hungry, or just want to eat. How to eat proper portion sizes without relying on a food scale. I simply want to master and apply the principles of mindful eating. Oh, and rock a bikini next summer.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,192 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Prior to reaching my goal weight ... in combination with weight loss ... I started setting and meeting sports/fitness goals.

16 weeks into the process, I had met my first weight goal, but wanted to keep going. However, at that point I did a 100 mile bicycle ride (first one in a couple years) and an all-day hike to the top of a mountain.

Then I went on to cycle a 100 km event, a 160 km event, and a 200 km event (randonneuring/audax events). I had been practicing on hills, so I tackled the climb to the top of Mt Wellington! And then ... a 300 km event ... and a 400 km event. I did attempt a 600 km event back in early October, but had been ill just before and was only able to make it to the 390 km point. However, there is next year! And I've got it into my head that I'd like to cycle up Mt Wellington again. :mrgreen:

It feels great to be doing what I love again. :)

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10364677/2016-goals-quarter-of-the-year-done#latest
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    In 2015-2016 I decided to focus on strength training, in particular powerlifting, with specific goal weights for the 3 big lifts. I managed to hit and supersede these before the end of 2015. Since then I have set myself the challenge of getting on stage and competing in a physique show. Currently the plan is to step on stage in April 2017.

Probably a bit different to most but having an end goal and knowing that if I don't put in the work, I'll embarass myself, is a strong motivator.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Cycling goals were basically further, faster, bigger hills, more power, higher up Strava rankings (got my first podium recently!), do more Audax (long distance) events.

Strength goals were mix of random (e.g. max out machines at my work gym) and precise such as bench press 1.5 x bodyweight.

No specific physique or body composition goals apart from being happy in my own skin.

Mostly continuous improvement rather than time bound targets.

One non-fitness goal now ticked off was to learn to maintain/lose/gain weight without food logging.
  • stephenearllucas
    stephenearllucas Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone!
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    Something like this may or may not apply to you, OP, but for me, DH&I celebrate both our birthdays, our anniversary, Christmas & New Years all within less than a month. My goal is intense joyful celebration all month long while maintaining my weight.
  • ercarroll311
    ercarroll311 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I came across this several months ago when I reached my goal. I gave myself a goal for body fat percentage so I could be focused still on exercising, gaining muscle, and eating right. I always feel I need something to focus on. As I've reached by body fat goal I've found maintaining is enough of a goal for me. With things like holidays and weddings where I let myself have some fun, it keeps me on track during the week. I think of maintenance as doing the same things you did in weight loss, just with a few more daily calories, or special occasion indulgences.
  • Arizona_C
    Arizona_C Posts: 1,476 Member
    Options
    Hi, maintaining my weight I work towards more strenght, flexibility and a better sens of balance. I train, dance and do acrobacy, it's great!
  • sadinplaid
    sadinplaid Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Training for a half marathon trail run. Looking for things I love like hiking and camping and making them happen more often! :smile:
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Swim in more alpine lakes.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Fitness goals: improving cardio vascular fitness and increasing reps/weight when lifting are two. For me, the biggest has become increasing mastery of new yoga poses (strength, balance and flexibility). Whether it's going deeper in ones I've been doing forever (Warrior) or new ones (headstand, forearm balance, handstand) it's such a fun challenge for me! I got a leg behind my head for the first time ever yesterday. I'm 45. Almost 8 months of working on it. First side going strong, second side--look out! :smiley:
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Fitness goals. It may be adding more reps to pull ups, adding weight to split squats or going up to the next size kettle bell. The time frame is dependant on the specific goal. Anywhere from 3 months to a year.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    In truth, my goal is to stay in a specific 5 pound range for the rest of my life. It's been 4 years. Right now I'm 2 pounds over it, so I've got some work to do.

I also have goals to walk 5 miles a day, hit my 30 minutes of aerobic zone exercise, and stand every hour 12 hours a day (yes I have an apple watch). That's hard to do every day. Still working on it.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Yes on fitness goals! They are even more fun than weight loss goals. Enjoy! B)