Clothes alterations

Options
2»

Replies

• SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    ukkiosan wrote: »
    ...my biggest problem has been figuring out what to do with my nice VS bras (I went from 36D to 32A/B) - I can't really donate them but they're too pretty and gently worn to go in the trash! : S

You might be able to donate them if they're still in good condition - my local thrift store sells bras, but there may be some kind of regulations or just store policies against that in your area. Worth a look!
  • tress29
    tress29 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    ukkiosan wrote: »
    my biggest problem has been figuring out what to do with my nice VS bras (I went from 36D to 32A/B) - I can't really donate them but they're too pretty and gently worn to go in the trash! : S
    I can't wear underwire bras anymore. I sent a message to some friends, and asked if they knew anyone who wore that size. It may sound weird, but someone got some very nice bras that she otherwise couldn't have afforded.

• SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    When I was losing, I had amazing luck at Goodwill. Name brand stuff that I would never be able to afford normally. You have to sort through a lot of junk, but you can find some really nice things.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    You could try pinning the waist first and try on to see if it would look okay.
  • prettygirlstorm1
    prettygirlstorm1 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Donate them and go on a shopping spree!!!! You deserve it!! Congrats!!
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Ebay your old clothes, and buy new ones on eBay. Lots of NWT (new with tags) items. Good temporary fillers for your wardrobe until you reach your goal.

EBay has gotten quite pricy for clothes! It has gotten very popular. One can sometimes find bargains there at times.

Sometimes I can find red dot clearance clothes at Macy's with a 20% additional discount coupon that makes the price crazily inexpensive for a new item.

Also I do check out consignment boutique shops. The nicer ones are very picky, and you can get reasonably-priced items.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    I took some dress pants that were two sizes too big to a tailor and she wouldn't take my money - said it would cost too much to alter them enough to make them look good and I'd be better off buying new ones.

I sold a few pairs on craigslist and was planning to take more to a consignment store, but they were moving the same week I was moving so not accepting new items.

I didn't want to move them to my new place so donated them to the Malala fund. I believe I cannot link to charities to just google "Malala bag" - they send you a large postage-paid bag for you to fill with items with resale value, which they sell and donate the proceeds to raise money for girls' education.
  • SamMarie14
    SamMarie14 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Sell your old ones on Facebook or something.
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Blue jeans, in particular, may be difficult - the heavier fabric and somewhat complex construction/all those pockets don't lend themselves well to a significant amount of alteration.

But dress pants, dresses, skirts, blouses - those I would definitely alter (I'm about to take a stack of dress pants to the tailor myself).

Congratulations!
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    @JeepHair77 thank you!