How do you get your protein?

Options
I didn't realize MFP's protein goals are so low compared to a lot of other opinions. So I'm trying to get more protein!

How do you get yours?

I really don't like drinking protein shakes with just water and protein powder. But I feel like if I add anything else it will be too many calories! I have about 1,500 calories per day.

Replies

• dtcjem
    dtcjem Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Ground Turkey for me. Supplement with Rice Protein Powder
  • xaryo
    xaryo Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Horse meat. Very red, very "ironny" very lean
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    First, I don't aim for a crazy high protein goal, and I spread it out over all my meals and through all the foods I eat that have protein - grains, dairy, fish, meat, eggs, beans, nuts and seeds. Very easy.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    today i have got just over 100g of protein out of 1550 cals

Breakfast - protein enriched cereal w/ milk 21g
    Lunch - Cottage cheese with salad 26g
    Tea - Salmon, Potatoes and Broccoli Cheese - 54g
  • leajas1
    leajas1 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Unsweetened Almond Milk has only 30 calories per cup. That's what I use to mix with my protein powder so I don't break the calorie bank.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    The lowest calorie for the amount of protein sources I consume regularly are fish and shellfish, other lean meat, low fat/skim dairy (especially greek yogurt and cottage cheese).

Also legumes, eggs, nuts, various vegetables, grains all contribute some. If I don't have eggs for breakfast (which I tend to supplement with another source of protein like dairy or smoked salmon), I will add protein powder (to oatmeal or a smoothie).
  • littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I think some of the goals are stupid unrealistic if you are trying to lose weight and hit certain macros like protein. Some calculators have said I need 60g and some say 120g. I don't fuss much about it I just worry about not eating more than I burn at this point. That being said my breakfast is normally a smoothie with protein powder and I'm vegetarian and don't eat eggs and just mostly get protein from food I eat like beans, grains, tofu, tempeh, seitan and try and eat more fresh veggies and watch my bread intake since it's basically empty calories.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    All the meats.

Some are leaner than others and have a higher protein to fat ratio, which may keep the calorie count down.

Skinless, boneless chicken breast vs chicken thighs for example.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    In a normal week my protein ranges from 190-260g depending on the day. I get this from a variety of sources;

- chicken
    - beef
    - whey
    - casein
    - egg whites
    - bacon
    - ham
    - sausages
    - yoghurt
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    In a normal week my protein ranges from 190-260g depending on the day. I get this from a variety of sources;

- chicken
    - beef
    - whey
    - casein
    - egg whites
    - bacon
    - ham
    - sausages
    - yoghurt

Everything he said + turkey. I try to stay away from the bacon, sausage, ham as much as I can because of the sodium levels, but it tastes so good. lol. You can buy turkey breast steaks/cutlets, boneless skinless turkey breasts, and turkey burgers as well, all of which I enjoy on the grill with BBQ seasoning and my favorite sauces. Very high protein, very low calories (depending on the sauces of course lol).
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    I eat lots of chicken.
  • soccerkon26
    soccerkon26 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    What do you guys put on your chicken? I like chicken a lot but I'm getting tired of chicken with seasoning.

Thanks for all of your ideas! :)
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    I customized my diary so my goal is usally around 100 grams of protein. I eat two protein bars, usually some protein powder, in addition to lots of meat (tuna and chicken are go-to's) and protein-filled greens (spinach, broccoli and edamame).
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    What do you guys put on your chicken? I like chicken a lot but I'm getting tired of chicken with seasoning.

Try tomato basil dressing (1 T.) as a dip. Or BBQ sauce. I also like a chicken salad with 1 T. mayo and half of an avocado with salt & pepper to taste.
  • littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Options

A gentleman's hat.

• jordyngiulio
    jordyngiulio Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Chicken, turkey, eggs and nuts are my biggest protein sources. We try to make a fairly large cut of meat on Sunday, like smoking a turkey breast or grilling a few pork tenderloins so we have it to snack on through out the week. I also will make healthy dishes with lean meat throughout the week like Chicken Parm using no sugar added tomato sauce little breading or a "pizza" casserole with a zucchnini crust and ground turkey
  • ratherbeskiing
    ratherbeskiing Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    chicken, cottage cheese, eggs, shakes, bars (few and far between), tuna.... just to name a few
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    I grill chicken with different seasonings and add honey mustard, barbecue sauce, melted cheese, etc. I sautee chicken in peppers and onions. I do shredded chicken in the crock pot.

I make tacos, nachos, etc., with it and/or I eat it with veggies/beans/rice.

I'm gluten free, so my options are somewhat limited anyway.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    Same as everyone else -- I eat it! Eggs, turkey, chicken, beef, Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, tuna, salmon, and shrimp are my mainstays.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I eat about 175-200 grams of protein a day.

My main sources are: whey (powders and drinks), soy milk, eggs, salmon and other fish or seafood, chicken and turkey, pork and beef.

I usually get whole chickens for 79-99 cents per lb. I roast them myself and make chicken stock from the scraps. I get compressed turkey breast in bulk for less than $2.50/lb. I get pork loin and shoulders for $2/lb and ribs for around $2.50/lb. And, I get 2 doz eggs are around $2.50 from Costco. These are my cheapest sources of protein.

NY Strip steaks are a splurge but I can get a 15# slab (which will yield about 12 thick 1 lb steaks for just $5/lb. Corned beef which is another splurge costs me around $4.50/lb. I'd make my own corned beef but I'd only save $1/lb and it takes too long and too much space in the frig to do so. Salmon and seafood are the most expensive (around $7/lb) but tilapia fillets are usually much cheaper.