How do you get your protein?

Options

Replies

• squarewheels66
    squarewheels66 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm lucky to be able to 'get hold of' pheasant, partridge, wild duck and geese, hare, rabbit, pigeon etc.

All fantastic sources of protein plus filling and delicious.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I don't track macros but for fun I just figured out my macros for today, going off of the food I'm planning on eating (I planned this day only paying attention to calories and no consideration given to macros)-

Calories: 2,025
    Protein: 144g (going by recommendations for my age I should be eating around 50g)

Today's menu plan is a 12in bacon ranch sub from Subway (double meat), 2 pkts instant flavored oats with a bit of 2% milk added after it's been cooked, 2 whole eggs and then 2 slices of multi-grain bread.

• RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    https://www.volpifoods.com/our-products/
    I really like Volpi's stuff- good cheese and good meats.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I don't have a crazy protein goal...I think there is a lot of misunderstanding in regards to protein and what you're doing is going to determine how much you need. A sedentary person is perfectly fine getting the RDA...someone doing a lot of endurance work will benefit from more, but eating like a bodybuilder or strength athlete would be overkill, etc.

I do mostly endurance work...I'm not at any kind of "elite" athlete level or anything like that and I lift a couple of days per week mostly to support my cycling and to maintain my lean mass. The whole 1 gram per Lb of LBM thing for me is overkill for what I do and would just be making expensive glucose at that point...I definitely eat more than the RDA because I'm active...I eat around 110-120 grams per day.

I get my protein from fish, poultry, meat, eggs, egg whites, greek yogurt, etc...I eat vegetarian a lot so I eat a lot of lentils and legumes and oats and potatoes and such which have a decent amount of protein for plant based foods...on veggie days I also eat more eggs and egg whites and sometime supplement.
  • Intentional_Me
    Intentional_Me Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I try to eat no less than 90g a day but really aim for 100+

Tuna about 70 cals worth is like 17g protein
    Chicken
    Cottage cheese & greek yogurt around 100 Cal and 12g protein each depending on fat %
    Protein shakes that have 30g if I'm not hitting my goal with food that day

I try to stay away from ground beef just because it's a calorie bomb
  • Karb_Kween
    Karb_Kween Posts: 2,681 Member
    Options
    Through my bf
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    cow, pig, nuts, milk, seafood --180-230 grams a day
  • leajas1
    leajas1 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    There was a thread going around about cockroach milk a while ago....
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    Karb_Kween wrote: »
    Through my bf

Actually... that's mostly carbs. ;)
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    The whole 1 gram per Lb of LBM thing for me is overkill for what I do and would just be making expensive glucose at that point...
    What are your thoughts on 1g protein per lb LBM eating in a deficit vs. maintenance?
  • hawkmancody
    hawkmancody Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I get my protein from cheese milk beef pork chicken turkey venison elk bear and beans. Oh and my favorite seafood:)
  • withoutasaddle
    withoutasaddle Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I don't know. I just sort of eat, and it just sort of ends up meeting goals. As a vegan. Protein isn't some magical rare macro, it's in almost everything- bread, veggies, desserts. I'm not bulking or anything, but I easily get 40-50g without paying it any attention....
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    In a calorie deficit, we are prone to losing muscle mass, so I prefer to stack the cards in my favor and eat more protein than the minimum RDA.

Try to get some with every meal and snack, so you don't have to compensate so much later in the day. I even sneak some into my coffee by adding some collagen and a spoonful of protein powder. Fairlife brand milk is higher in protein than other brands. When planning what to eat, I try to prioritize the protein part of my meal, then fill in the rest with fats and carbs.
  • delicaterealms
    delicaterealms Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    so many options!
    - egg whites/eggs
    - laughing cow cheese
    - greek yogurt
    - almonds
    - fish
    - protein bars/drinks
    - cottage cheese
    - vegetables!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Lately I've been making a lot of sludge, but I have about 50 lbs. of whey and 20 lbs. of casein that I need to work through.

Thing I made today for preworkout sludge:
    -32g chunky PB
    -40g MyPro vanilla casein
    -200g Fage 2% Greek Yogurt
    -50g frozen blueberries
    -roughly 3 fl. Oz water (can be increased or decreased for desired consistency.)

Pop it in the freezer for an hour and a half and eat solo, or as I do, with a toasted bagel. I've heard a lot of people will use stuff like apple slices for ediblr utensils.

521 kcals, 25g carbs, 22g fat, 70g protein
    Not a bad outlay for what basically amounts to a 3/4 pound nut and berry frozen yogurt, and it can be trimmed down even more by going with non-fat yogurt and either just dropping the PB, or replacing with slivered nuts in a smaller quantity. I use the PB because I need the fats in anyway.
  • Misssynth
    Misssynth Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Eggs eggs eggs! I love eggs. I also get good quality diet whey protein shake so it tastes good with just water, some are better than others which I use after a weight session in the gym.
  • Nightmare_Queen88
    Nightmare_Queen88 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Meat, eggs, cheese and protein bars and powder. I aim for 147 g of protein but I go over sometimes.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Protein powder (I also use almond milk to make my shakes), Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, eggs & egg whites, low fat cheese, lentils, beans, bean pasta.
  • mylifeisbeautiful
    mylifeisbeautiful Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's sells a light feta cheese that is 5g protein and 40 cal per ounce. Best of all, it's delicious (unlike a lot of low fat cheeses) and costs $2.99 for 8 oz. :)
  • phonerobot
    phonerobot Posts: 14 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Protein is simple to consume when you have a thorough understanding of what it is. Protein is nothing but a chain of specific amino acids which when combined make "protein". Even foods that would not seem to meet protein are, when eaten with the right pairings. This understanding has helped me loose weight and avoid fatty meats and other synthetic "protein" which are in those powders and drinks. This is a good source of what I am talking about.