How do you get your protein?

Options
13»

Replies

• LisaVeganBHScNutrition
    Options
    I get mine mainly from legumes, nuts and seeds, dark green leafys like silverbeet, spinach, rocket, kale etc along with avo, olives and most other veggies and wholegrains.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    my goal is 125g of protein a day - i divide that up between 6 meals (including pre/post workouts...although post WO is also sometimes dinner)...

keeping it simple - greek yoghurt in the am (15g); some kind of meat for lunch/dinner - 25-30g each, i budget a pre-bed cereal/milk which gives me another 10g, and depending on what else is going on - i normally come within 5g of my goal most days
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    The whole 1 gram per Lb of LBM thing for me is overkill for what I do and would just be making expensive glucose at that point...
    What are your thoughts on 1g protein per lb LBM eating in a deficit vs. maintenance?

I think it's more important in a cut...I also think that beyond 1 gram per Lb of LBM provides little to no benefit to anyone really.

That said, I don't think people are going to waste away to nothing and burn up all kinds of muscle mass if they're not exactly hitting that target...and really, what are we talking about here...a body builder on a cut or your average joe/jane?

Carbohydrates are also muscle sparing.

I suppose if I was actually a body builder or something I would put more emphasis on it...but I'm not so I'm not going to go to any great lengths to hit 1 gram per Lb of LBM...that's not to say that I don't think protein is important...I certainly take in more than the RDA...I'm usually somewhere around 120 - 130 grams per day.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    phonerobot wrote: »
    Protein is simple to consume when you have a thorough understanding of what it is. Protein is nothing but a chain of specific amino acids which when combined make "protein". Even foods that would not seem to meet protein are, when eaten with the right pairings. This understanding has helped me loose weight and avoid fatty meats and other synthetic "protein" which are in those powders and drinks. This is a good source of what I am talking about.

whey isn't synthetic...
  • simplyhube
    simplyhube Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I didn't realize MFP's protein goals are so low compared to a lot of other opinions. So I'm trying to get more protein!

How do you get yours?

I really don't like drinking protein shakes with just water and protein powder. But I feel like if I add anything else it will be too many calories! I have about 1,500 calories per day.

I am a flexible eater and currently my numbers are 1510 kcal, carbs 150g, protein 115g, and fat 50g

If you are interested in this you can go here: http://takebackyoureating.com/home ?ref=4

it will explain it to you. I love this because 1) I am NEVER hungry and 2) I eat what I want - I don't have to give up my donuts or pizza

I get a lot of my protein from egg whites and lean turkey. I have never been a protein shake person. I do love protein bars - my favorite are from Dive Bars www.divebarnutrition.com the trash can cookies are amazing!