Bye Coffee?

Options

Replies

• KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    I was like that, then just did it cold turkey. black.
  • tahxirez
    tahxirez Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Buy a flavored coffee...not a cappucino mix but actual coffee. Folgers has a Caramel Drizzle and a Vanilla Biscotti that are both very good. I used to use a LOT of flavored creamer until I got serious about cutting and it wasn't worth the calories. Started out by measuring the amount (it was NEVER enough) so then I just let let it go. Saved me money and calories...win win
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,994 Member
    Options
    I would rather cut back in the amount and drink less than have it black. I drink black tea unsweetened, but I like sweet coffee. I drink it with 2 tsp sugar and 2 tbsp regular half and half. It is just 70 calories per cup and I drink 2 cups every day. That works into my calorie goal with no problem. If I needed to cut back I would just cut to 1 cup or have tea instead. I guess I could drink black coffee, but I don't want to drink back coffee.
  • MiniMansell1964
    MiniMansell1964 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    i wonder if i am unique. i have NEVER had a cup of coffee. i have no memories even as a child of trying it. the smell always turned me away.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    shredcamps wrote: »
    i wonder if i am unique. i have NEVER had a cup of coffee. i have no memories even as a child of trying it. the smell always turned me away.

I'm 44 and only started drinking coffee for the first time this year. I still prefer tea, but it doesn't give me the pick me up that coffee does.
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I used to drink coffee everyday, but gave it up. The way I like it has too many calories and I did slowly cut back until I could drink it black, but I found I didn't enjoy it as much black as I did with all the additives.

It's now something I drink very rarely and when I do have it I drink it the way I like and just adjust my calories for the rest of the day to accommodate it.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,161 Member
    Options
    kd_mazur wrote: »
    If you don't drink it black, it is not the coffee that you are craving, it is really the cream and sugar that you love. Maybe try a different brand of coffee? If you don't want to drink it black maybe you can cut the amount of the items you are adding? Maybe find another way to get caffeine each day?

Pretty much this. I used to do piles of sugar and cream in my coffee. When I switched to black, at first I found it really bitter, but eventually I started to enjoy the actual coffee and realized I could tell the difference between various types. It opened a whole new world to me of coffee enjoyment, all of which was buried under the sugar and cream.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options

We can be weird together, I've never tried coffee either and I'm 38 years old lol. My parents are hard core coffee drinkers and growing up around that turned me off to wanting to ever drink it. I did recently start drinking tea and really enjoy that (just picked up a box of salted caramel black tea and can't wait to try it!). My husband has never drank coffee either, people think we're nuts!

OP, someone mentioned Torani syrups and they have some really great tasting 0 calorie syrups. I add them to low calorie hot cocoa for a winter drink.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I've been using agave nectar instead of sugar xx
    No. Agave actually has more calories per TBS than white sugar does. OP is trying to decrease her calories @kimmy792016
  • KWlosingit
    KWlosingit Posts: 122 Member
    Options

I'm 44 and only started drinking coffee for the first time this year. I still prefer tea, but it doesn't give me the pick me up that coffee does.

I am over 50 and have never been a coffee drinker. My mom tells me someday I will grow up and learn to drink coffee. I don't think so. Anyway hubby drinks enough for both of us.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,994 Member
    Options

We can be weird together, I've never tried coffee either and I'm 38 years old lol. My parents are hard core coffee drinkers and growing up around that turned me off to wanting to ever drink it. I did recently start drinking tea and really enjoy that (just picked up a box of salted caramel black tea and can't wait to try it!). My husband has never drank coffee either, people think we're nuts!

OP, someone mentioned Torani syrups and they have some really great tasting 0 calorie syrups. I add them to low calorie hot cocoa for a winter drink.

I only started drinking coffee in my 30's. My parents are not coffee drinkers.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    KWlosingit wrote: »

I am over 50 and have never been a coffee drinker. My mom tells me someday I will grow up and learn to drink coffee. I don't think so. Anyway hubby drinks enough for both of us.

Haha I've had the very same comment directed to me over the years! I don't like the taste of alcohol either, maybe my taste buds never matured :open_mouth:

• KWlosingit
    KWlosingit Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    KWlosingit wrote: »

Haha I've had the very same comment directed to me over the years! I don't like the taste of alcohol either, maybe my taste buds never matured :open_mouth:

Wow we must be twins. I don't like the taste of alcohol either!
  • rorymason
    rorymason Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Fat free half and half and stevia
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    After experimenting with all of the alternatives I decided that my coffee was non-negotiable. So I have my coffee exactly the way I like it and I log my favorite creamer. I just drink less of it. Usually just my morning 2 cups and perhaps one at lunch. My hot beverages for the rest of the day come in the form of tea. I found a great little shop that sells lots of different kinds of imported teas and I enjoy several varieties, with just some splenda.

• mlinci
    mlinci Posts: 403 Member
    Options

I on the other hand must have started drinking it aged about ten, and have drunk it every single day since. I think coffee, particularly my first morning coffee, is one of the things that makes life worth living. I practically worship coffee.

PS I drink Italian style coffee with semi-skimmed milk, and a touch of sugar and sweetener - usually half a teaspoon of sugar. I find large watery coffees many people drink to be a different drink altogether. Coffee to me should not be a translucent watery liquid, but a thick one with some viscosity and a natural crema. I don't think the quantity I have ever exceeds 4 oz at a time.

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Because of this thread today I tried protein powder in my coffee. You're all liars about its tastiness. Bleugh!
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    The truth is, taste changes and adjusts over time. I used to put those creamers in mine as well, now won't even consider that. Also,i used to load up my tea with sugar, like 5-6 spoons of it, many years ago, and now i love my tea for the tea taste, can't stand any sweetness to it. You can definitely retrain your taste buds. I would definitely try a good quality coffee beans, and gradually reduce sugar. You can try half and half instead of international delight, that staff has way too much mixed in chemicals. Try to explore a more of a purist way of drinking coffee. Also, you can try cappuccino with half a teaspoon sugar, doesn't need a lot due to the small size, but the taste is outstanding. So mix things up a bit, try to buy different flavors and roast levels of beans in small quantities so you can find a flavor you like and can enjoy with minimal doctoring, you will see that maybe good quality coffee doesn't require too much sugar or cream, also different roast will offer various taste, so experiment a little. Good luck
  • Ming1951
    Ming1951 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    That is so true your taste buds do change. I used sugar then went to sugar substitute, I use 1 packet Stevia, I find it sweeter than normal sugar. I also use to just pout in any amount of french vanilla cream then I started measuring 1 tablespoon and from that I went to heavy cream, I was on low carb diet at the time and its actually lower in carbs than the creamers. I also change flavors of coffee, right now I like gloria jeans butter toffee with 1 packet of stevia. This morning its tasting too sweet, so I may just cut out the stevia. After not eating tons of candy & sweets for 2 months I am losing my taste for it. Hope it lasts, lol. Good luck it will happen over time.
  • subakwa
    subakwa Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I would second the comments about finding a good coffee that you like the taste of, and then needing fewer things to add to that.

My experience of everyday American coffee is that it is pretty bad and thus the habit of creamer and sugar rather than have it black or with milk like much of the rest of the world.

You don't need to be a snob about it, but experiment with different types. You might not like espresso but you could find a light roast, or a spicy roast that you do like. Invest in a cafetière (press) and use that rather than a filter jug to allow you to make it as you like it.

Perhaps look at sugar free flavoured syrups, or frothed milk too, but always start from a base you actually like.