What's on your mind?

Options

Replies

• honeybee__12
    honeybee__12 Posts: 15,688 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking about how careless I've been forgetting to check all the doors.
    Turns out one of my back doors has been unlocked for a couple days.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options

The sad part is that CA either burns, or washes away in mudslides depending upon the season. April '17, I spent a weekend in an area just north of Fresno and there was almost 4" of standing water. Just a couple months later, it was burning.
    Hope all these fires are contained soon ... That firefighters return safely to their families and that ample resources are made available to kill the embers, so it doesn't lie dormant and reignite this time next year, to finish the destruction.

What typically causes the fires are things such as lightning strikes, discarded lit cigarette butts tossed out windows, broken glass, careless people burning things, or even just a passing vehicle that sends a spark into the scrub brush alongside a road.

Unfortunately, there's a lot of issues with CA and other states with similarly dry brush: The never do controlled burns in/around populated areas. So, there's years, if not decades of scrub brush that lays around and is like kindling. Contrary to popular belief, fire can be a good thing. It burns off the scrub brush that chokes out other plant life, and provides rich nourishment to the ground. Some plants require high heat to drop seeds. The burning of the brush also helps to control brush fires, such as the Western states are experiencing now.

People also need to do their part to help prevent and control fires. They need to remove brush, sticks, etc from around their homes. Don't leave anything highly flammable such as patio cushions, umbrellas, etc out that an ember that's been in the air for over a mile can drop on and ignite. City planners and engineers also need to better design cities and residential areas to not be so susceptible to burning.

The last couple of years has really opened the eyes of poor design and planning. But, sadly the fires will still continue.

@Functional_Strength Thank you very much for going in depth, with reference to the proper terminologies and descriptors of California’s biome as the kindling to what causes our fires. The environmental structure-fail is designed by nature to annihilate and restore itself, albeit via a destructive path.

From my earliest memories of having viewed multiple cowboy movies, I’d always wanted to see those dry rolling tumbleweeds live. Think, a romanticised dreamscape of me plus tumbleweed and dry arid winds. Don't even ask. Lol. It worked, hey, here I am. Only now, it’s so rampant that if you’re driving, running, walking and the winds pick up, they appear out of nowhere. What the movies don’t clue-in on, is that it is nasty. Not so easy to handle. They are wirey like barbed wire, yet thick like a thicket.
    You don’t want that caught up in a stroller or to jam your foot right into one, as you attempt to block it from hitting you. They can be aerial and projectile. Add fire to it, very dangerous. I concur from this small element of non-brush@dry rolling tumbleweed, but rather, a free roaming nuisance, combined with poor town planning & engineering, compounds fire damage.

If only all these gated tract communities were required to install more than just fire hydrants. In the Calabasas CA gated community we'd lived in, the cliffs were fitted with heavy duty sprinklers. Once fires erupted near Las Virgenes or the 101, the guards at the back gate could switch them on, saturating the area close to where fire had erupted. Installing fire retardant protocols as a safety measure reduces the risk, does it not?

Knowing California fauna as you do Functional, is there any truth to the damaging effects of what is purported to be non-native California plants aiding the spread of fire? Namely an Australian breed of brush to tree, which was transplanted into the forest in the ‘70s, supposedly anti-erosion?

I like Kern County. Their dairy farms produce the best tasting milk in Northern or Southern California. Great people too. A fairly large number of my friends families originated from Kern County.😊
  • 777Gemma888
    Options
    I'm thinking about how careless I've been forgetting to check all the doors.
    Turns out one of my back doors has been unlocked for a couple days.

Reading your sharing chilled my bones. Scary!
  • 777Gemma888
    Options
    Waiting on the 10pm news >>> Sleep.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    I am craving pineapple.
  • mustacheU2Lift
    mustacheU2Lift Posts: 5,844 Member
    Options
    Thinking im going to regret this.
  • mustacheU2Lift
    mustacheU2Lift Posts: 5,844 Member
    Options
    Thinking im going to regret this.

no u wont, just eat it

:o nooooo...lol. no...dates.
  • St4rFire
    St4rFire Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I think I stayed up too late.
  • xFunctionalStrengthx
    xFunctionalStrengthx Posts: 4,928 Member
    Options

The sad part is that CA either burns, or washes away in mudslides depending upon the season. April '17, I spent a weekend in an area just north of Fresno and there was almost 4" of standing water. Just a couple months later, it was burning.
    Hope all these fires are contained soon ... That firefighters return safely to their families and that ample resources are made available to kill the embers, so it doesn't lie dormant and reignite this time next year, to finish the destruction.

What typically causes the fires are things such as lightning strikes, discarded lit cigarette butts tossed out windows, broken glass, careless people burning things, or even just a passing vehicle that sends a spark into the scrub brush alongside a road.

Unfortunately, there's a lot of issues with CA and other states with similarly dry brush: The never do controlled burns in/around populated areas. So, there's years, if not decades of scrub brush that lays around and is like kindling. Contrary to popular belief, fire can be a good thing. It burns off the scrub brush that chokes out other plant life, and provides rich nourishment to the ground. Some plants require high heat to drop seeds. The burning of the brush also helps to control brush fires, such as the Western states are experiencing now.

People also need to do their part to help prevent and control fires. They need to remove brush, sticks, etc from around their homes. Don't leave anything highly flammable such as patio cushions, umbrellas, etc out that an ember that's been in the air for over a mile can drop on and ignite. City planners and engineers also need to better design cities and residential areas to not be so susceptible to burning.

The last couple of years has really opened the eyes of poor design and planning. But, sadly the fires will still continue.

@Functional_Strength Thank you very much for going in depth, with reference to the proper terminologies and descriptors of California’s biome as the kindling to what causes our fires. The environmental structure-fail is designed by nature to annihilate and restore itself, albeit via a destructive path.

From my earliest memories of having viewed multiple cowboy movies, I’d always wanted to see those dry rolling tumbleweeds live. Think, a romanticised dreamscape of me plus tumbleweed and dry arid winds. Don't even ask. Lol. It worked, hey, here I am. Only now, it’s so rampant that if you’re driving, running, walking and the winds pick up, they appear out of nowhere. What the movies don’t clue-in on, is that it is nasty. Not so easy to handle. They are wirey like barbed wire, yet thick like a thicket.
    You don’t want that caught up in a stroller or to jam your foot right into one, as you attempt to block it from hitting you. They can be aerial and projectile. Add fire to it, very dangerous. I concur from this small element of non-brush@dry rolling tumbleweed, but rather, a free roaming nuisance, combined with poor town planning & engineering, compounds fire damage.

If only all these gated tract communities were required to install more than just fire hydrants. In the Calabasas CA gated community we'd lived in, the cliffs were fitted with heavy duty sprinklers. Once fires erupted near Las Virgenes or the 101, the guards at the back gate could switch them on, saturating the area close to where fire had erupted. Installing fire retardant protocols as a safety measure reduces the risk, does it not?

Knowing California fauna as you do Functional, is there any truth to the damaging effects of what is purported to be non-native California plants aiding the spread of fire? Namely an Australian breed of brush to tree, which was transplanted into the forest in the ‘70s, supposedly anti-erosion?

I like Kern County. Their dairy farms produce the best tasting milk in Northern or Southern California. Great people too. A fairly large number of my friends families originated from Kern County.😊

Unfortunately, I don't have that level of knowledge for CA vegetation. But, a quick search seems to confirm your answer for a few plants it seems. One of which is the Eucalyptus. I won't get into the topic of importing wildlife/vegetation by state agencies, that's a whole different discussion... ;)

I'm originally from CA, with family still out there. Add some professional interests into the mix, and I tend to follow the fire season, since most of them are near some of the more common fire areas (last year, they were about 2 miles west of one of the largest fires).

There are different measures that can be done to reduce the risk. The biggest impact would be if people were to maintain and be aware of the fire risks they have in their immediate area. Materials such as cloth patio cusions, etc, are typically made of a synthetic material and will ignite quickly. Homes made in the last 30 years or so are made of engineered material which is really nothing more than wood and glue. These homes can be destroyed in under 30 minutes, sometimes as quickly as 15 depending upon architectural design and contents. So, you can see where there's a lot of components to fire prevention.

As to the allure of the Southwest, I still admire the beauty of the landscape and understand how you describe the allure of it. Even in the Midwest, we have to be cautious of fire season as there's a number of grass fires we have here.
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    I wonder if whatever is eating my baby watermelon finished the job last night
  • mojo4717
    mojo4717 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Sleep 💤
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    Vikka_V wrote: »
    I still can't access my profile - I'm sick of looking at my smile

You can change it on your phone.
  • AliNouveau
    Options
    Another shooting. What's happening this summer?!?!
  • AliNouveau
    Options
    AliNouveau wrote: »

What?!? Where?

Canada. New Brunswick. These things shouldn't happen there
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    @Caporegiem I was looking through my old docs and I just found the gifs I made during our gif battle.

Pssh

You're just jealous you weren't involved

You're lucky I wasn't ;)

I think it's time for a new battle than.
  • xFunctionalStrengthx
    xFunctionalStrengthx Posts: 4,928 Member
    Options

What?!? Where?

Canada. New Brunswick. These things shouldn't happen there

Why do you say that?