What's on your mind?

Options

Replies

• TwitchyMacGee
    TwitchyMacGee Posts: 3,120 Member
    Options
    I’m wondering if the small number of people posting these days represents mostly all single people.
    🤔
    Take notice ladies, lol.

i’m letting boredom get to me,
    kinda mean i know,
    but it looks true.

Then again, maybe it’s complicated
  • AprylaExp
    AprylaExp Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    cowsfan12 wrote: »
    Wondering if/when I should venture out to a market? Trying to find a balance between being careful & paranoia.

I had no issues with going until last Saturday I had to pick some things up - I kinda felt like was in a video game trying to dodge ppl - it’s a weird feeling as I usually don’t get paranoid about things. Strange times indeed

KK, I read this morning that WalMart employees will now be checking shopper's temps before they're allowed in. Unsure if that's local or everywhere? I've also heard there are 6' barriers we're supposed to keep around each other & some stores have enforced only letting a certain # into the store at a time.

I'm confused how I do that in the market? My local markets have narrower than 6' aisles, so does that mean we all go in 1 direction, staying 6' behind the person in front of us & don't pass? I live in an area of mostly very, very, very old retirees, who take ages to walk down an aisle. As a kamikaze, don't-like-to-shop shopper who runs in to grab 4-5 things & leave, I normally sprint down an aisle like a pinball, weaving in & out of carts to reach the end. If I waited for the old folks to move in order, it would take me hours to just grab a few things.

If someone's lingering too long in front of the potatoes, do I have to stand 6' behind them & glare 'til they move, lol? I just want some fresh produce & meat... I don't need to take a pass through the whole store... in & out. I'm unsure of the current Emily Post's Book of Lockdown Social Graces.

giphy.gif

Ours have taped out 6' spaces so you know. It's... interesting, but keeps everyone apart while they shop. They also (keep in mind this is on base), aren't allowing people to shop in groups anymore. Will sometimes make a concession for a parent with kids, but not a whole family and not a whole group of students.

Okay, TY for the info. The FL gov just announced a mandatory state-wide stay-at-home order beginning at midnight tomorrow, so I'd imagine our stores will be crowded until then. I'll just go out tomorrow morning to see what's going on & if I can't get into a market with ease or if they have no food, I'll stop at a drive-thru... I think some fast food places are still open.

I wonder if I can still go out for a walk on the sidewalks, if there's a stay-at-home order? People with dogs have to walk them & no one is out walking whenever I'm out, so I'm guessing the answer is yes?

I'm a bit lost & annoyed cuz I just relocated here, so don't know anyone to ask local q's & haven't had the time to learn my way around... I have to find everything via GPS & hope it's right... it often isn't, given the new stores that have gone up here recently.

Thanks again.

@TwitchyMacGee ... TY for the correction.

We've been on stay-at-home orders for a while, and walking/running outside is fine, as long as you are maintaining social distancing.

Grocery stores won't close, so hopefully no one panic buys(but we know they will)
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    I’m wondering if the small number of people posting these days represents mostly all single people.
    🤔
    Take notice ladies, lol.

kinda mean i know,
    but it looks true.

Then again, maybe it’s complicated

giphy.gif
  • TarryTaffyTwo
    TarryTaffyTwo Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Heajal wrote: »
    Wondering if/when I should venture out to a market? Trying to find a balance between being careful & paranoia.

I had no issues with going until last Saturday I had to pick some things up - I kinda felt like was in a video game trying to dodge ppl - it’s a weird feeling as I usually don’t get paranoid about things. Strange times indeed

KK, I read this morning that WalMart employees will now be checking shopper's temps before they're allowed in. Unsure if that's local or everywhere? I've also heard there are 6' barriers we're supposed to keep around each other & some stores have enforced only letting a certain # into the store at a time.

I'm confused how I do that in the market? My local markets have narrower than 6' aisles, so does that mean we all go in 1 direction, staying 6' behind the person in front of us & don't pass? I live in an area of mostly very, very, very old retirees, who take ages to walk down an aisle. As a kamikaze, don't-like-to-shop shopper who runs in to grab 4-5 things & leave, I normally sprint down an aisle like a pinball, weaving in & out of carts to reach the end. If I waited for the old folks to move in order, it would take me hours to just grab a few things.

If someone's lingering too long in front of the potatoes, do I have to stand 6' behind them & glare 'til they move, lol? I just want some fresh produce & meat... I don't need to take a pass through the whole store... in & out. I'm unsure of the current Emily Post's Book of Lockdown Social Graces.

giphy.gif

Ours have taped out 6' spaces so you know. It's... interesting, but keeps everyone apart while they shop. They also (keep in mind this is on base), aren't allowing people to shop in groups anymore. Will sometimes make a concession for a parent with kids, but not a whole family and not a whole group of students.

Okay, TY for the info. The FL gov just announced a mandatory state-wide stay-at-home order beginning at midnight tomorrow, so I'd imagine our stores will be crowded until then. I'll just go out tomorrow morning to see what's going on & if I can't get into a market with ease or if they have no food, I'll stop at a drive-thru... I think some fast food places are still open.

I wonder if I can still go out for a walk on the sidewalks, if there's a stay-at-home order? People with dogs have to walk them & no one is out walking whenever I'm out, so I'm guessing the answer is yes?

I'm a bit lost & annoyed cuz I just relocated here, so don't know anyone to ask local q's & haven't had the time to learn my way around... I have to find everything via GPS & hope it's right... it often isn't, given the new stores that have gone up here recently.

Thanks again.

We've been on stay-at-home orders for a while, and walking/running outside is fine, as long as you are maintaining social distancing.

Grocery stores won't close, so hopefully no one panic buys(but we know they will)

TY very much. This is helpful.
  • XxFunctionalStrengthxX
    XxFunctionalStrengthxX Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options

giphy.gif

Thanks again.

TwitchyMacGee ... TY for the correction.

Most of the stay at home orders are relatively straightforward. Can walk/run outside for exercise, they want it in your area and not travel places otherwise could spread infection to other places. Grocery stores, banks, mail/ups, gas stations, pharmacies and other medical centers are open. Restaurants are takeout/deliver only. Other critical business are open. But, plan most stores, bars, salons/barbers, etc closed.

I feel you on the moving. I've only been here a few months and not had a chance to learn where some of the places are that I need to get to. GPS is okay.
  • TarryTaffyTwo
    Options

giphy.gif

Thanks again.

Most of the stay at home orders are relatively straightforward. Can walk/run outside for exercise, they want it in your area and not travel places otherwise could spread infection to other places. Grocery stores, banks, mail/ups, gas stations, pharmacies and other medical centers are open. Restaurants are takeout/deliver only. Other critical business are open. But, plan most stores, bars, salons/barbers, etc closed.

I feel you on the moving. I've only been here a few months and not had a chance to learn where some of the places are that I need to get to. GPS is okay.

Oh, now I get it. TY for explaining this... I feel so dumb when it comes to news. What I misunderstood is every time they announce a stricter/extended measure, I thought it meant they were narrowing down what types of businesses could remain open & I keep trying to find a list of local stores it would affect. ATM, my only concern is food, but I don't regularly see grocery stores/restaurants mentioned... the main focus, especially here, is health care needs, understandable with a local, majority-senior population.

Locally, biz's/stores have been closed for awhile, but Home Depot & the car wash are still open, which is confusing. Maybe I'm wrong, but a car wash doesn't seem essential to me. I get that HD might need to remain open for essential or emergency home repairs & it's so packed everyday, you can barely get a parking space.

I'm glad your GPS is useful. Even my apt complex isn't on Google Maps or any other map service, cuz it's brand new. I have to find my way home by GPSing the golf course across the street. Lots of construction, too, so some stores/restaurants/gas stations no longer exist or are so new, they just aren't able to be found via any GPS.

For both of us, I guess it will be awhile before we'll be out & about & learning where things are locally. It's a bummer. I'm in FL, it's 80s with low humidity everyday, which doesn't last long... great beach weather... but, they're closed. Too bad... it would be nice to take a walk in the sand.

TY again. :smile:
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    🤔
    Take notice ladies, lol.

kinda mean i know,
    but it looks true.

My vote is connectivity issues
  • honeybee__12
    honeybee__12 Posts: 15,688 Member
    Options
    🤔
    Take notice ladies, lol.

kinda mean i know,
    but it looks true.

HA, yes!!!!!!! 😁
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Options
    🤔
    Take notice ladies, lol.

kinda mean i know,
    but it looks true.

Eh? I'm not single. Just bored.
  • XxFunctionalStrengthxX
    XxFunctionalStrengthxX Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options

giphy.gif

Thanks again.

Oh, now I get it. TY for explaining this... I feel so dumb when it comes to news. What I misunderstood is every time they announce a stricter/extended measure, I thought it meant they were narrowing down what types of businesses could remain open & I keep trying to find a list of local stores it would affect. ATM, my only concern is food, but I don't regularly see grocery stores/restaurants mentioned... the main focus, especially here, is health care needs, understandable with a local, majority-senior population.

Locally, biz's/stores have been closed for awhile, but Home Depot & the car wash are still open, which is confusing. Maybe I'm wrong, but a car wash doesn't seem essential to me. I get that HD might need to remain open for essential or emergency home repairs & it's so packed everyday, you can barely get a parking space.

I'm glad your GPS is useful. Even my apt complex isn't on Google Maps or any other map service, cuz it's brand new. I have to find my way home by GPSing the golf course across the street. Lots of construction, too, so some stores/restaurants/gas stations no longer exist or are so new, they just aren't able to be found via any GPS.

For both of us, I guess it will be awhile before we'll be out & about & learning where things are locally. It's a bummer. I'm in FL, it's 80s with low humidity everyday, which doesn't last long... great beach weather... but, they're closed. Too bad... it would be nice to take a walk in the sand.

It typically does restrict more businesses. But, at this point, figure most things are closed. If you have questions, could probably hit up the website or give them a call. There's been a few places which have opened up again as they were deemed necessary by he Gov't. But, it's pretty rare. Some really don't make sense why they're open. But, I could see a self operated car wash staying open since it's usually empty and no large crowds.

You must be in an expanding area still. I'm in a major city area so it stays pretty constant unless a store closes.

Hope you can still get out and enjoy some of the weather, even if it is just around home. Weather here is turning nice, so am getting anxious to get outside now.
  • PlentyofProtein00
    PlentyofProtein00 Posts: 3,626 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    I hear folks comparing the Covid-19 outbreak to WWII and to the Great Depression.

Really? This is kindergarten compared to WWI or WWII.

Does Covid-19 suck, yeah... it does, but to compare it to WWII ? C'mon now.

I guess it's the closest thing since then they have to compare. But I agree. It probably also depends if you still have a paying job.
    This will easily hit some harder than others in certain aspects.
  • honeybee__12
    edited April 2020
    Options
    I hear folks comparing the Covid-19 outbreak to WWII and to the Great Depression.

Seriously?
    People have actually said that?

Being “sent to your room” or being sent to war,
    hmmm....
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options

Seriously?

Yep.

They are speaking to the psychological aspects of it, which, in my view, don't compare.

The Cover-19 pandemic will be devastating to some families, and for them, I have sympathy (& empathy).

I would rather be at home, watching Netflix and eating spaghetti than living in Nanking back in 1939.
  • honeybee__12
    Options

Seriously?

Yep.

They are speaking to the psychological aspects of it, which, in my view, don't compare.

The Cover-19 pandemic will be devastating to some families, and for them, I have sympathy (& empathy).

I would rather be at home, watching Netflix and eating spaghetti than living in Nanking back in 1939.

Very well said, I agree.
  • TarryTaffyTwo
    Options

giphy.gif

Thanks again.

It typically does restrict more businesses. But, at this point, figure most things are closed. If you have questions, could probably hit up the website or give them a call. There's been a few places which have opened up again as they were deemed necessary by he Gov't. But, it's pretty rare. Some really don't make sense why they're open. But, I could see a self operated car wash staying open since it's usually empty and no large crowds.

You must be in an expanding area still. I'm in a major city area so it stays pretty constant unless a store closes.

Hope you can still get out and enjoy some of the weather, even if it is just around home. Weather here is turning nice, so am getting anxious to get outside now.

When I say brand new, I really am brand new, so it's hard to call places cuz I don't know what's around & GPS isn't accurate. I've been out 4 times since here, not local... places 1-2 hrs away. In my 1st few days, I tried to find a Wendy's that was on Google Maps, cuz I had no kitchenware... it didn't exist. Then I used my car GPS to find local fast food or markets & none existed. I've found all the markets by accident, mostly by getting lost while looking for something else, but I haven't visited any of them yet... went an hour away to Costco when I got here & that's been it... hence, all my q's about markets in several threads.

I'm across the bay from Tampa, so it's a big city but you're right... the entire main road for many miles is being torn up & built up, including new apt & condo complexes & malls. My complex was just finished a few wks ago. We're all brand new tenants, so no one knows anything & the majority of us have out of state license plates, lol.

The open car wash is hand wash & packed 12-hrs/day, 7-days/wk. Maybe it's one of those businesses that decided to stay open despite closures & hasn't yet been forced to close. I know that happened with some small restaurants who decided to still seat people... they just shut them down.

TY, I hope you get outside, too. I stopped walking for a week, but will get back to it tomorrow. I'll also venture out to a market to see if I can find some fruit. Have a good night.
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Options

giphy.gif

Thanks again.

Ours (MS) decided to finally issue one starting Friday. According to what's been posted, you can still engage in outdoor exercise like running/walking so long as you're maintaining the social distance. It's mostly to cut down on people doing frivolous *kitten* like partying at the beach and window shopping in large groups (because people are stupid). We can leave to go get groceries if necessary and get gas or other essential/important stuff, but nothing else.

I'm honestly waiting for them to shut down all the fast food/dine-in places. Right now, most are on carryout/delivery only options but if this keeps going, they'll be shut down, too.
  • TarryTaffyTwo
    Options

giphy.gif

Thanks again.

Ours (MS) decided to finally issue one starting Friday. According to what's been posted, you can still engage in outdoor exercise like running/walking so long as you're maintaining the social distance. It's mostly to cut down on people doing frivolous *kitten* like partying at the beach and window shopping in large groups (because people are stupid). We can leave to go get groceries if necessary and get gas or other essential/important stuff, but nothing else.

I'm honestly waiting for them to shut down all the fast food/dine-in places. Right now, most are on carryout/delivery only options but if this keeps going, they'll be shut down, too.

That's great, TY again, KK.

To your last point, I've been thinking the same about takeout & delivery, since it's only a matter of time before some kitchen staff & delivery people begin getting ill, as it's tough to carry through with 6' distancing. That's why I don't want to wait. With hardcore rationing, I have enough food to scrape by for 2-wks, but restrictions could be tighter after that or grocers might have barer shelves, so I really should do something now. At least I need to see what's going on in the stores.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    🤔
    Take notice ladies, lol.

kinda mean i know,
    but it looks true.

HA, yes!!!!!!! 😁

The alternative is, MFPs nurses/ doctors, paramedics count is pretty decent - more than half of my friends at one point were all nurses, only a handful were doctors.

Maybe they are busy @hospitals across the country or wherever in the world they are based.