Do calories from alcohol count?

Options
comptonelizabeth
comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
I've read that calories from alcohol don't "count" because it's metabolised in a different way. Can anyone explain this? I know whenever I've stopped drinking for any length of time I lose weight so find it hard to believe. I guess what I'm asking is,do I include it in my diary? I'm talking about maybe one small glass a night by the way - I'm not a heavy drinker

Replies

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Alcohols are process differently than normal carbohydrates however the calories definitely still count. There are many resources online that give you calories in all beverages.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    As said, yes they count.
  • comptonelizabeth
    Options
    shredcamps wrote: »
    They definitely can't go to your local pub and just look at all the Enormous fat people with big round beer bellies

Hmmmm that might include me if I'm not careful.
    Thanks everyone. I will carry on including it !
  • comptonelizabeth
    Options
    No they definitely don't count on Fridays or Saturdays. Other days you should log them

:smiley:
  • pbryd
    pbryd Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I heard if you ate pizza and beer, they cancel each other out in your stomach. Isn't science great. ;)
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I've read that calories from alcohol don't "count" because it's metabolised in a different way. Can anyone explain this? I know whenever I've stopped drinking for any length of time I lose weight so find it hard to believe. I guess what I'm asking is,do I include it in my diary? I'm talking about maybe one small glass a night by the way - I'm not a heavy drinker

Yes and no...the alcohol calories from alcohol can't be stored as fat...they have to be burned off immediately by the body...so in this regard, they wouldn't count. But wait...while you're metabolizing alcohol, you can't metabolize anything else...so anything else you're ingesting is stored because it can't be metabolized...so in that regard, yes...they count.

This
  • MiniMansell1964
    MiniMansell1964 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Calories are calories are calories count them all alcohol cake salad highs all calories
  • ChrisNels1
    ChrisNels1 Posts: 16,638 Member
    Options
    No they definitely don't count on Fridays or Saturdays. Other days you should log them

#imwithher
  • SteveHummer
    SteveHummer Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hell yes! alcohol has 7 calories a gram, 3 more than carbs and protein. Beer bellies didn't arrive by the stork.
  • xtinalovexo
    xtinalovexo Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options

:D:D:D I wish alcohol didn't count...
  • se015
    se015 Posts: 583 Member
    Options

Yes and no...the alcohol calories from alcohol can't be stored as fat...they have to be burned off immediately by the body...so in this regard, they wouldn't count. But wait...while you're metabolizing alcohol, you can't metabolize anything else...so anything else you're ingesting is stored because it can't be metabolized...so in that regard, yes...they count.

ohhhhhhhh interesting!! I never knew that! lol thanks!!
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options

Theoretically if you were fasted before consuming alcohol and remained "fasted" from regular food afterwards until the alcohol is fully metabolised but then ate at maintenance for that day. Would you be at maintenance or above?
  • vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options

:D:D:D I wish alcohol didn't count...

Oh, if only!!
  • comptonelizabeth
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

This

Ok so - as an example. Today I walked to the pub and back and logged this as roughly 160 calories burned. I had a medium sized glass of wine there. So the walk would have burned this off but not the bag of crisps I ate. Right?
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options

I would like to read more on this. Could you provide a link or reference, please?