Gluten and Fat free? Help and Ideas??

Options
So, my doctors recently told me that I had sensitivities to fat and gluten, and needed to go off of them. I'm having trouble finding recipes and meal ideas that meet both requirements, especially since a lot of gluten free breads are awful. If any body has any ideas it would be extremely helpful.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    So don't eat bread?

Stick to rice, potatoes, gluten free pasta instead?

As for the fat, is it stuff like cheese or nuts you can't have? Or just reduce your overall fat consumption?
  • pennyparker28
    pennyparker28 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I can't even have peanut butter. Any fat makes me sick. So gluten and fat free together is very difficult.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    fat is an essential nutrient - you can't have a no fat diet, that can't be right

as for no gluten - Udi's has what I think is good gluten-free bread. There are lots of things to eat that don't come from wheat in the first place like eggs or meat or fruit or veggies or cheese.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    I can't even have peanut butter. Any fat makes me sick. So gluten and fat free together is very difficult.

Not sure why? It's not like you would usually replace the food that contains gluten with high fat stuff.

So gluten free carb sources, and low fat. Focus on your protein and fruit and veg.
  • pennyparker28
    Options
    fat is an essential nutrient - you can't have a no fat diet, that can't be right

as for no gluten - Udi's has what I think is good gluten-free bread. There are lots of things to eat that don't come from wheat in the first place like eggs or meat or fruit or veggies or cheese.

Not sure why? It's not like you would usually replace the food that contains gluten with high fat stuff.

So gluten free carb sources, and low fat. Focus on your protein and fruit and veg.

Mostly I'm finding dinners to be the hardest, meats and carbs usually have some fat in them. I'll try Udi's. It's weird you wouldn't expect gluten free recipe's to have so much fat, but alot of them are over compensating for the taste.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

Mostly I'm finding dinners to be the hardest, meats and carbs usually have some fat in them. I'll try Udi's. It's weird you wouldn't expect gluten free recipe's to have so much fat, but alot of them are over compensating for the taste.

You can't go completely fat free, unless you just eat fruit and veg and protein powder... and then you'll end up deficient in nutrients
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    I actually cook a few things that are gluten free from when we thought my husband was gluten intolerant-

Risotto (chicken & mushroom)
    Fish wrapped in bacon with sweet potato
    Roast chicken with roast potatoes etc
    Beef stew
    Cottage pie/shepherds pie/fish pie
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    You could eat a ton of rice and vegetables - they're (mostly) fat free and definitely gluten free.

But definitely ask more questions. There are many different kinds of fat. Some types of fat are essential for life - find out more about your limitations before cutting it out completely. Generally humans need 25 grams of fat a day to maintain proper biological functions. Find out why you need to avoid gluten. Are you diagnosed with celiac disease through a biopsy?
  • pennyparker28
    Options
    I know, I eat a little despite the sensitivity. Like today, by 10:00 when my day ends, I'll have only had a total of 14 grams of fat. I'm just trying to go as low as possible. I just don't want to go hungry, like last time I tried, I lived off soup. Then I gave up, got sick, and now I need to find solutions.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Did your doctor give you a percentage? What conditions have you been diagnosed with?
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    Fat sensitivity? That doesn't make sense to me. Fat is a macronutrient and is required for normal bodily functions.

If you have a reaction to eating fat, could it be your gallbladder? Have you had it checked out?
  • pennyparker28
    Options
    Did you doctor give you a percentage? What conditions have you been diagnosed with?

Where I live and most doctors I have access to are awful. But I have a few good ones, My Gastroenterology doctor is not as good as he could be he didn't give me percentages, but over all my problem is have an auto-immune inflammatory disease and irritable bowl. So I've only been able to adjust based on what makes me sick and what doesn't.
  • pennyparker28
    Options
    sllm1 wrote: »
    Fat sensitivity? That doesn't make sense to me. Fat is a macronutrient and is required for normal bodily functions.

If you have a reaction to eating fat, could it be your gallbladder? Have you had it checked out?
    Everyone is acting surprised. My doctor said that it happens sometimes with irritable bowl? They didn't seem to think it was the gall bladder. I'll double check though.
  • vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    Go Paleo. Just my opinion, for what it's worth.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    sllm1 wrote: »

Everyone is acting surprised. My doctor said that it happens sometimes with irritable bowl? They didn't seem to think it was the gall bladder. I'll double check though.

They never think it's the gallbladder. It took almost two years to get my gallstones diagnosed. I finally just requested another ultrasound. They said, "I wonder why we didn't seem them before."

:)
  • hale03071
    hale03071 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Folks, if you have a GI issue (malabsorption problems in particular), yes you need to eat as little fat as possible, otherwise you will spend your life on the toilet, literally. So yes, her doctor told her to cut back the fat.

I feel your pain, I have IBS and other GI issues and on a very limited no sugar, no carbs, no starcchy vegetables or fruit diet. First, try different brands of gluten free breads. Udi's isn't my favorite...look for Canyon Bakehouse, its better IMO. Or try Bob's Red Mill they have a gluten free bread mix so you can bake your own.

There are plenty of options for low fat. Avoid red meat whenever possible. Poultry, like chicken breast, ground turkey or chicken will become your friend. If you can tolerate it, use spices or herbs to add flavor. Mrs. Dash will become your friend! Learn to like your veggies without butter and just use salt and pepper, its an acquired taste, but you will get used to it. Avoid processed foods and you will be fine, get back to the basics of "whole" food. Shop the outside aisles of the supermarket. You will be limited of course, and it will be hard for the first few weeks until you adjust to a new food routine.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Go Paleo. Just my opinion, for what it's worth.

OP can't eat fat...
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    i have crohns disease and ibs... i eat loads of fat. while i know what works for me may not work for you a "NO" fat diet is impossible without becoming deficient. id get a second and third opinion.
  • leajas1
    leajas1 Posts: 823 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Regarding spices for any low-fat meats you eat, check out Flavor God. He has TONS of really good spices so you won't get bored.

https://flavorgod.com/?gclid=CIPOsafKodACFdRMDQodYH4CKg

ETA: All of his seasonings are gluten free.
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    I am with you too. Very difficult. I am gluten and lactose intolerant and my doctor wants the fats reduced to 25 - 30% of my diet. I would ask more questions about the fat because you cannot go fat free as a sustaining diet, as the others have said, you need fats to live. (Although if you are overweight, your body has a private store for you :) ) I have found that the gluten free stuff does not agree with my system. So ......

I am eating lower fat choices in protein. Chicken, lower fat pork cuts, etc. When I am choosing fats, I am trying for the mono unsaturated which means more vegetable fats like hemp seeds, quinoa or avocado. Then veggies, lots and lots of veggies. Hunger for me is controlled by fats (which we cannot do) or fiber. I am eating oatmeal (gluten free) and eggs (not every day) and I am watching that I get enough protein which helps with the hunger too.

I am not convinced that we cannot eat mono unsaturated fats but that was what I was told. Cut down all fats and control for eggs. I think a bit old school but ....

I have found that gluten free wraps agree with me and so I can make a lunch to carry. I have found "Great Stuff" peanut butter. It is a powder that you mix with water. For 2 heaping tbsp of powder, it makes enough for a serving and it is 1gram of fat. Made up with an avocado, or a banana, or slices of apple in a wrap, it is pretty good.

Good luck with it! I have found it difficult but not impossible.