Gluten and Fat free? Help and Ideas??

Options
2»

Replies

• SapphireMoon23
    SapphireMoon23 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Read about Enzymedica. May help with digestion. Also see if a health food store near you offers Blood Analyses.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    hale03071 wrote: »
    Folks, if you have a GI issue (malabsorption problems in particular), yes you need to eat as little fat as possible, otherwise you will spend your life on the toilet, literally. So yes, her doctor told her to cut back the fat.

I feel your pain, I have IBS and other GI issues and on a very limited no sugar, no carbs, no starcchy vegetables or fruit diet. First, try different brands of gluten free breads. Udi's isn't my favorite...look for Canyon Bakehouse, its better IMO. Or try Bob's Red Mill they have a gluten free bread mix so you can bake your own.

There are plenty of options for low fat. Avoid red meat whenever possible. Poultry, like chicken breast, ground turkey or chicken will become your friend. If you can tolerate it, use spices or herbs to add flavor. Mrs. Dash will become your friend! Learn to like your veggies without butter and just use salt and pepper, its an acquired taste, but you will get used to it. Avoid processed foods and you will be fine, get back to the basics of "whole" food. Shop the outside aisles of the supermarket. You will be limited of course, and it will be hard for the first few weeks until you adjust to a new food routine.

Everyone with gi issues is different though.
    There is no set diet for (non celiac, non gallbladder) gi issues. For me I have to eat low fiber and bland so adding spices would be a no no though moderate fat for me is ok.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    How did he test for these sensitivities?
  • sugaraddict4321
    sugaraddict4321 Posts: 15,801 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I have a friend that has gluten and dairy sensitivities (but not celiac). She eats a lot of chicken, fish and rice. For bread she makes her own using spelt flour. For snacks she buys gluten-free crackers made from sesame seeds and rice, and eats whole fruits like apples. Although she can eat meat she doesn't like to, so she gets additional protein from quinoa, lentils, chickpeas, eggs, etc. If you like pasta, you can get ones that are made with corn, spinach, carrots, etc. I bought one made with red lentils recently. It's pretty good and it only takes 2 minutes to cook! For cooking you could switch to a coconut oil spray, which would be far less fat than dumping oil in a pan. Sorry, I don't have any recipes but you should be able to get started by using your normal recipes and making substitutions as needed. :)
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    Hugs, hon. That's hard. I would second the comment about the gall bladder. Nearly everyone I know of who had fat malabsorption issues, or pain on trying to digest fats, ended up having gall bladder trouble. Also, if it makes a difference, if you have any gut troubles that might be causing nutrient absorption trouble, that can affect the organs (like, if your auto-immune issue was celiac disease for example).

I lucked out and had a good GI doc and he tested the gall bladder, kidneys, and heart of all his patients who had had gut issues for a while, because he said that nutrient deficiencies seemed to impact these organs first.

But as for foods without as many fats - I would ditch the pre-made GF foods. They almost all have fat, yes - it is too make up for the moisture loss that comes with the lack of gluten , as I understand it. So making your own foods - not substitutions but completely different meals - can be a solution.

And you said any type of fat makes you ill, yes? Just to check - how many fats have you checked? Obviously meats and peanut oils. Nuts, I am assuming, and oils, and butter or dairy, yes? Have you checked things like, say, fresh raw coconut, or avocados, maybe? Any seeds at all? (like, say, bell pepper seeds might have a tiny bit of oils, but are edible and might be little enough you could get a tiny bit of fats, maybe?). Any whole grains?

I realize you might have already checked everything out, but in case you were looking at all for any source of fat you might be able to tolerate, this was a good chart (http://www.immuneweb.org/lowcarb/food/grains.html )- shows seeds, grains, and so on and how much fat they have. Might be a nice guide if you are trying to start with something that contains fat, but has the smallest amount possible. Or if, possibly, there might be any foods you have been able to eat that might actually contain a teeny bit of fat. :-)
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    I had to go low fat when I had gallstones and it's hard! Skimmed milk,no cheese or butter and only lean chicken and white fish. Lost a lot of weight which I didn't need to lose and my skin was very dry. Long term it's not great. But,I also have ulcerative colitis and do find high fat foods are a trigger.
    By the way gallstones can only be diagnosed with a scan and,even after having your gallbladder removed you may still have difficulties digesting fat.
    With gluten free stuff - I had to eliminate gluten once to see if it was a trigger. I did it with the guidance of a qualified dietician. The gluten free stuff in shops is universally horrible and I ended up just not eating stuff like bread at all. I stuck to rice,Potatoes etc instead
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Low fat seems a bit funny for IBS. As a general rule, fats are fine for those with IBS. Sugars and raw veggies are sometimes a problem. Dairy is a common issue. Fat? That's different.

Have you looked into Ornish and Pritikin diets? Those might fit for you.

Have you been tested for celia disease? IBS symptoms are often the same a s celiac. The tests are not that reliable so it is best to do as many as possible and before you go gluten free. You need to be eating gluten in the 8-12 weeks prior to testing so don't go GF yet. Get the deaminated gliadin peptides IgA and IgG, tissue transglutaminase IgG and IgA, endomysial antibdoies IgA, total serum IgA (control test), and possibly the older anti-gliadin antibodies IgG and IgA if the deaminated gliadin tests are not available.
  • pennyparker28
    pennyparker28 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    sllm1 wrote: »
    sllm1 wrote: »
    Fat sensitivity? That doesn't make sense to me. Fat is a macronutrient and is required for normal bodily functions.

If you have a reaction to eating fat, could it be your gallbladder? Have you had it checked out?
    Everyone is acting surprised. My doctor said that it happens sometimes with irritable bowl? They didn't seem to think it was the gall bladder. I'll double check though.

They never think it's the gallbladder. It took almost two years to get my gallstones diagnosed. I finally just requested another ultrasound. They said, "I wonder why we didn't seem them before."

:)

Really? Kinda shows you about the state of medicine right now. I've had my fair share of doofus doctors.
    hale03071 wrote: »
    Folks, if you have a GI issue (malabsorption problems in particular), yes you need to eat as little fat as possible, otherwise you will spend your life on the toilet, literally. So yes, her doctor told her to cut back the fat.

I feel your pain, I have IBS and other GI issues and on a very limited no sugar, no carbs, no starcchy vegetables or fruit diet. First, try different brands of gluten free breads. Udi's isn't my favorite...look for Canyon Bakehouse, its better IMO. Or try Bob's Red Mill they have a gluten free bread mix so you can bake your own.

There are plenty of options for low fat. Avoid red meat whenever possible. Poultry, like chicken breast, ground turkey or chicken will become your friend. If you can tolerate it, use spices or herbs to add flavor. Mrs. Dash will become your friend! Learn to like your veggies without butter and just use salt and pepper, its an acquired taste, but you will get used to it. Avoid processed foods and you will be fine, get back to the basics of "whole" food. Shop the outside aisles of the supermarket. You will be limited of course, and it will be hard for the first few weeks until you adjust to a new food routine.

Thanks So Much! Yeah I was always on the toilet in agony, that's why I went to GI to begin with. I found a gluten free challah recipe but it's a complicated one so I don't do it often. I'll check the bread mix. I like your advice. Next challenge: Thanksgiving!
    leajas1 wrote: »
    Regarding spices for any low-fat meats you eat, check out Flavor God. He has TONS of really good spices so you won't get bored.

https://flavorgod.com/?gclid=CIPOsafKodACFdRMDQodYH4CKg

ETA: All of his seasonings are gluten free.

Thanks I'll check him out!
    I am with you too. Very difficult. I am gluten and lactose intolerant and my doctor wants the fats reduced to 25 - 30% of my diet. I would ask more questions about the fat because you cannot go fat free as a sustaining diet, as the others have said, you need fats to live. (Although if you are overweight, your body has a private store for you :) ) I have found that the gluten free stuff does not agree with my system. So ......

I am eating lower fat choices in protein. Chicken, lower fat pork cuts, etc. When I am choosing fats, I am trying for the mono unsaturated which means more vegetable fats like hemp seeds, quinoa or avocado. Then veggies, lots and lots of veggies. Hunger for me is controlled by fats (which we cannot do) or fiber. I am eating oatmeal (gluten free) and eggs (not every day) and I am watching that I get enough protein which helps with the hunger too.

I am not convinced that we cannot eat mono unsaturated fats but that was what I was told. Cut down all fats and control for eggs. I think a bit old school but ....

I have found that gluten free wraps agree with me and so I can make a lunch to carry. I have found "Great Stuff" peanut butter. It is a powder that you mix with water. For 2 heaping tbsp of powder, it makes enough for a serving and it is 1gram of fat. Made up with an avocado, or a banana, or slices of apple in a wrap, it is pretty good.

Good luck with it! I have found it difficult but not impossible.

Oooh the peanut butter thing sounds interesting! Because that's one of the hardest things for me, I love peanut butter! I already love avocado so that's awesome. I'll also try your wrap idea, thanks so much!
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    How did he test for these sensitivities?

Colonoscopy and blood tests

I have a friend that has gluten and dairy sensitivities (but not celiac). She eats a lot of chicken, fish and rice. For bread she makes her own using spelt flour. For snacks she buys gluten-free crackers made from sesame seeds and rice, and eats whole fruits like apples. Although she can eat meat she doesn't like to, so she gets additional protein from quinoa, lentils, chickpeas, eggs, etc. If you like pasta, you can get ones that are made with corn, spinach, carrots, etc. I bought one made with red lentils recently. It's pretty good and it only takes 2 minutes to cook! For cooking you could switch to a coconut oil spray, which would be far less fat than dumping oil in a pan. Sorry, I don't have any recipes but you should be able to get started by using your normal recipes and making substitutions as needed. :)

Thanks, I've found that the red lentil noodles didn't taste good, but Anna has a whole brand of GF stuff. I like the seseme seed cracker idea though!
    shaumom wrote: »
    Hugs, hon. That's hard. I would second the comment about the gall bladder. Nearly everyone I know of who had fat malabsorption issues, or pain on trying to digest fats, ended up having gall bladder trouble. Also, if it makes a difference, if you have any gut troubles that might be causing nutrient absorption trouble, that can affect the organs (like, if your auto-immune issue was celiac disease for example).

I lucked out and had a good GI doc and he tested the gall bladder, kidneys, and heart of all his patients who had had gut issues for a while, because he said that nutrient deficiencies seemed to impact these organs first.

But as for foods without as many fats - I would ditch the pre-made GF foods. They almost all have fat, yes - it is too make up for the moisture loss that comes with the lack of gluten , as I understand it. So making your own foods - not substitutions but completely different meals - can be a solution.

And you said any type of fat makes you ill, yes? Just to check - how many fats have you checked? Obviously meats and peanut oils. Nuts, I am assuming, and oils, and butter or dairy, yes? Have you checked things like, say, fresh raw coconut, or avocados, maybe? Any seeds at all? (like, say, bell pepper seeds might have a tiny bit of oils, but are edible and might be little enough you could get a tiny bit of fats, maybe?). Any whole grains?

I realize you might have already checked everything out, but in case you were looking at all for any source of fat you might be able to tolerate, this was a good chart (http://www.immuneweb.org/lowcarb/food/grains.html )- shows seeds, grains, and so on and how much fat they have. Might be a nice guide if you are trying to start with something that contains fat, but has the smallest amount possible. Or if, possibly, there might be any foods you have been able to eat that might actually contain a teeny bit of fat. :-)

Thanks for the website. I obviously can't have any junk food, peanut butter, butter, fried foods, cheese, salmon, etc. I can have grilled or baked boneless skinless chicken, and low fat meats. I love avocado, and GF oats. I'll ask my Dr. about gall issues to be sure. Thanks for the hugs! :)
    I had to go low fat when I had gallstones and it's hard! Skimmed milk,no cheese or butter and only lean chicken and white fish. Lost a lot of weight which I didn't need to lose and my skin was very dry. Long term it's not great. But,I also have ulcerative colitis and do find high fat foods are a trigger.
    By the way gallstones can only be diagnosed with a scan and,even after having your gallbladder removed you may still have difficulties digesting fat.
    With gluten free stuff - I had to eliminate gluten once to see if it was a trigger. I did it with the guidance of a qualified dietician. The gluten free stuff in shops is universally horrible and I ended up just not eating stuff like bread at all. I stuck to rice,Potatoes etc instead

Gallstones sound painful! My uncle has ulcerative colitis so I know a little bit about it, but not much. Thanks for the warning, I'll have a discussion with my Dr. about gall issues.
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Low fat seems a bit funny for IBS. As a general rule, fats are fine for those with IBS. Sugars and raw veggies are sometimes a problem. Dairy is a common issue. Fat? That's different.

Have you looked into Ornish and Pritikin diets? Those might fit for you.

Have you been tested for celia disease? IBS symptoms are often the same a s celiac. The tests are not that reliable so it is best to do as many as possible and before you go gluten free. You need to be eating gluten in the 8-12 weeks prior to testing so don't go GF yet. Get the deaminated gliadin peptides IgA and IgG, tissue transglutaminase IgG and IgA, endomysial antibdoies IgA, total serum IgA (control test), and possibly the older anti-gliadin antibodies IgG and IgA if the deaminated gliadin tests are not available.

I have tested for celiac, I only have a sensitivity. My mom's a nurse, I'll ask her about those tests you mentioned. I've never heard of Ornish and Pritikin diets. I'll google them. :)

Thanks so much for all the support! I'm so grateful.
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    I have tested for celiac, I only have a sensitivity.

Just in case (and please don't feel like you have to answer, because I know this is private. Just something to think of) - were you tested for celiac disease by the same doc you have not been so thrilled by? And did this doc say you just had a sensitivity based on any of the celiac tests?

I only ask because there are a lot of doctors who are very ignorant about celiac disease - much of the information about the symptoms and testing have not been well disseminated in the medical community. Some docs quite literally, are ignorant enough that they don't know how to even read the test results correctly. Like, for example, they don't seem aware that they can't tell if you have a gluten sensitivity from any of the celiac tests. We don't actually have a verified test to detect that yet, turns out (we've got some speculative tests, based on what doctors thought MIGHT be happening, but considering that a recent study just determined was IS actually happening, I suspect we'll have verified tests coming within the next few years).

But some doctors think if your results were abnormal, but not by very much, then you're just sensitive. Or if one of the few tests in the panel were positive, but the rest were negative, then it's just gluten sensitivity. And both of these are actually false. Because positive tests on celiac disease are kinda like pregnancy tests - doesn't how much you are pregnant, it just matters that you are. :-)

Sorry if this is all stuff you already know, or doesn't apply - I know it's kind of gratuitous. It's just one of those things that has impacted my own family so much, and that of friends, that I get a bit talky when it comes up. I've had acquaintances who were diagnosed as children and had doctors who tested them later and said they had 'outgrown' the disease, because the docs were too ignorant to realize that the tests looks for biomarkers of a reaction TO gluten, so celiacs on the proper diet are always negative. And these same friends destroyed their bodies, eating gluten because they thought they could.

I had relatives the doctors refused to test because they had outdated information on what celiac symptoms are. GI doctors for my celiac relatives who offer no follow up care, no advice, no help, and who only diagnosed family members because the family requested the tests, not because the doctors had a clue. My father was crippled before his mid-thirties due to what nutritional deficiencies did to his joints and spine from this disease not being diagnosed.

So, yeah, bit of a hot button for me where I start to worry that others have had similar poor medical care re: this disease. >_<
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options

Just in case (and please don't feel like you have to answer, because I know this is private. Just something to think of) - were you tested for celiac disease by the same doc you have not been so thrilled by? And did this doc say you just had a sensitivity based on any of the celiac tests?

I only ask because there are a lot of doctors who are very ignorant about celiac disease - much of the information about the symptoms and testing have not been well disseminated in the medical community. Some docs quite literally, are ignorant enough that they don't know how to even read the test results correctly. Like, for example, they don't seem aware that they can't tell if you have a gluten sensitivity from any of the celiac tests. We don't actually have a verified test to detect that yet, turns out (we've got some speculative tests, based on what doctors thought MIGHT be happening, but considering that a recent study just determined was IS actually happening, I suspect we'll have verified tests coming within the next few years).

But some doctors think if your results were abnormal, but not by very much, then you're just sensitive. Or if one of the few tests in the panel were positive, but the rest were negative, then it's just gluten sensitivity. And both of these are actually false. Because positive tests on celiac disease are kinda like pregnancy tests - doesn't how much you are pregnant, it just matters that you are. :-)

Sorry if this is all stuff you already know, or doesn't apply - I know it's kind of gratuitous. It's just one of those things that has impacted my own family so much, and that of friends, that I get a bit talky when it comes up. I've had acquaintances who were diagnosed as children and had doctors who tested them later and said they had 'outgrown' the disease, because the docs were too ignorant to realize that the tests looks for biomarkers of a reaction TO gluten, so celiacs on the proper diet are always negative. And these same friends destroyed their bodies, eating gluten because they thought they could.

I had relatives the doctors refused to test because they had outdated information on what celiac symptoms are. GI doctors for my celiac relatives who offer no follow up care, no advice, no help, and who only diagnosed family members because the family requested the tests, not because the doctors had a clue. My father was crippled before his mid-thirties due to what nutritional deficiencies did to his joints and spine from this disease not being diagnosed.

So, yeah, bit of a hot button for me where I start to worry that others have had similar poor medical care re: this disease. >_<

^This. I was very fortunate to have a doctor well ahead of his time diagnose me, because I did not test typically. I showed some suspicious signs, but it wasn't totally typical. He put my history together with my test results to diagnose me. I am eternally grateful. This, btw, was almost 20 years ago.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Yes. I know celiacs who were negative in one blood test but positive in another, and other celiacs who were only positive in the biopsy, and others who just had positive blood tests. A positive is a positive for celiac disease. No matter what.

Some doctors believe that a slightly positive antigliadin antibody test (AGA IgA or AGA IgG) could indicate gluten sensitivity and not CD but this is not widley accepted. As a general rule, the only accepted test for a gluten sensitivity is a gluten free trial of many months (after CD testing is done).

My CD was misdiagnosed for 30+ years. I developed a lot of other health issues because of that. If there is a chance of CD, due to less than thourough testing, I would advise you to get more testing done.

Good luck.
  • pennyparker28
    pennyparker28 Posts: 13 Member
    Options

^This. I was very fortunate to have a doctor well ahead of his time diagnose me, because I did not test typically. I showed some suspicious signs, but it wasn't totally typical. He put my history together with my test results to diagnose me. I am eternally grateful. This, btw, was almost 20 years ago.

Thank you both so much. I'll get a second opinion.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    fat is an essential nutrient - you can't have a no fat diet, that can't be right

as for no gluten - Udi's has what I think is good gluten-free bread. There are lots of things to eat that don't come from wheat in the first place like eggs or meat or fruit or veggies or cheese.
    I can't even have peanut butter. Any fat makes me sick. So gluten and fat free together is very difficult.

Not sure why? It's not like you would usually replace the food that contains gluten with high fat stuff.

So gluten free carb sources, and low fat. Focus on your protein and fruit and veg.

Mostly I'm finding dinners to be the hardest, meats and carbs usually have some fat in them. I'll try Udi's. It's weird you wouldn't expect gluten free recipe's to have so much fat, but alot of them are over compensating for the taste.

Lean meats, beans, lentils, rice, quinoa, buckwheat (or other gluten free grains), vegetables, fruits.

You can make so many meals with those ingredients! It seems like your problem is looking for prepackaged foods. It should be easy to make gluten and nearly fat free meals from scratch.
  • GrowingGlow
    GrowingGlow Posts: 10 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Your favorite food website is going to be ohsheglows.com this lady has it all and everything is delicious. A lot of recipes are low fat, gluten free, dairy free, nut free, the whole nine yards. I can't do gluten and found that it was a habit that needed to be changed. I started replacing those habits with ones that fit in my bounds. One of my biggest habit changes was getting rid of my latte and pastry at the cafe. I can't do gluten, dairy, or caffeine (even decaf although I cheat on occasion) anymore. When I head out to the cafe it's tea time only. There are a lot of grains out there that you can use as a filler to your meal instead of bread and all the standard gluten things. Teff is an amazing grain that not a lot of people know about. You can make all sorts of things with the grain or flour. And when it comes to pasta things, you can make everything the same, just don't bother with noodles anymore. Add more mushrooms, vegetables, protein, or grains. To me it makes no sense to eat a lot of these other faux foods as they are often unhealthy. I'd rather switch a gluten item with a vegetable item and not an imitation.

I've found that when it comes to food restrictions it takes a lot more thought to eat healthy. No more easy late night pizzas!

Doing a detox or cleanse may be a good idea to get you on track to help heal your insides. When I had done my first detox it changed my life. There's potential for dangerous side effects. Who those happen to, I'm not sure as I haven't met anyone else that's done one. Be warned, there's a lot of garbage information out there. My first detox was a radical 3 days of nothing but fresh squeezed lemon in water followed by a week of vegetable broth that I made at home. Yeah this is a hardcore one, it's almost impossible to do, but it worked magic on me. I'm considering doing it again in the next few months since my IBS is raging. When you finish the detox, you reintroduce foods slowly to see what sets you off.

Another thought is to do the vegetable juice cleanse and supplement with protein. An amazing movie to watch is "Fat Sick and Nearly Dead." These guys went from being on medication for autoimmune disease and all sorts of things to healthy and medication free. This would be great since it's gluten free and low fat. I've heard your hormones can go out of whack if you have no fat. Perhaps different fats you can handle better.

If a detox or cleanse is something you won't stick with, then an elimination diet is definitely key. You start with a few safe things that are known to not bother you. Again, there's a lot of bad information out there so read up.

When it comes to a diagnosis, I wouldn't get hung up on that. You get a diagnosis, a label, and then so what? I had several tests done for my IBS to rule out anything that could be life threatening. In the end, you need to get off the caboose and start making changes.

Food is medicine and I hope you find your way to a happier and healthier you.