Running is it good for you?

Options
13»

Replies

• Lovemehatemebytchez
    Options
    Cals per, running, mile is bodyweight in lbs * 0.63 - So at 160lbs I burn roughly 100 cals per mile. In a 5K I'll burn c300 calories, a 10K about 600 and in a Half Marathon c1300cals.

Walking is 0.31 * lbs

The scaling factors are derived from lab research.

Thanks, so mile is bodyweight in lbs? Im 270 and about 5ft6 30 years old. Exercise at least 4 to 5 times a day and eat about 1500 to 1800. So whats my mile per burn?
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Cals per, running, mile is bodyweight in lbs * 0.63 - So at 160lbs I burn roughly 100 cals per mile. In a 5K I'll burn c300 calories, a 10K about 600 and in a Half Marathon c1300cals.

Walking is 0.31 * lbs

Thanks, so mile is bodyweight in lbs? Im 270 and about 5ft6 30 years old. Exercise at least 4 to 5 times a day and eat about 1500 to 1800. So whats my mile per burn?

Your calorie burn per mile of running is 270 x 0.63. so 170 calories for each mile you run. Walking you would burn 84 calories per mile.

so if you run 3 miles, you burn 510 calories.
  • Lovemehatemebytchez
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »

Walking is 0.31 * lbs

Your calorie burn per mile of running is 270 x 0.63. so 170 calories for each mile you run. Walking you would burn 84 calories per mile.

so if you run 3 miles, you burn 510 calories.

Thank you so much.
    I usually do 1.63 miles sometimes 2 miles, but doing it slow eventually I'll get up to 3 miles
  • Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Eating in a deficit loses body fat.

Sure, and one way to do that is exercising to create a calorie deficit! :smile:

Read my second paragraph it states this as well as you can out eat your running burns or deficit.

do u ever get really hungry after a long run/jog? i like running at night (i live in a gated area so it's safe) cause i tend to get lost in the music and enjoy the cool breeze...but i come home, shower and want to eat, especially things like pb and bananas and turkey avocado hummus sandwiches...it kinda bothers me cause i go to bed soon after

I've been known to eat 2500-3000 calories after my long runs. But that is relative to my goals as a lifter when on a cut. I usually don't run when my goal is to bulk because I want my energy level as high as possible so I don't burn out my potential lifts not to mention one needs plenty of rest to build muscles and running just taxes my ability to rest as much as possible.

It's important to eat enough food and hit your macros to replenish glycogen stores and help either retain muscle(if cut) or build muscle (on a bulk). If you are on a run program you can pre-determine your calories burned by this formula.

Body weight (lbs) * .63 * miles = calories you burn.

Hey

I was wondering what you mean by calculating what you're burning when you're running? Body weight + the miles you have ran will equal your calories burned? Thanks just want to make sure I understand you correctly

Bodyweight (in lbs) x .63 x miles is the formula

Thanks, but I'm just a little slow at not understanding what you mean I need more context. So where did the 63 come from? And is it Pounds × 63 × miles =?

its 0.63 (zero point sixty three) which came form the clever person who first came up with the formula in a scientific way...

The clever person was an Italian scientist, Margaria, who published a paper in 1938. The original (approximated) formula is in metric, and much simpler: kcal= weight in kg x kilometers
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Read my second paragraph it states this as well as you can out eat your running burns or deficit.

do u ever get really hungry after a long run/jog? i like running at night (i live in a gated area so it's safe) cause i tend to get lost in the music and enjoy the cool breeze...but i come home, shower and want to eat, especially things like pb and bananas and turkey avocado hummus sandwiches...it kinda bothers me cause i go to bed soon after

I've been known to eat 2500-3000 calories after my long runs. But that is relative to my goals as a lifter when on a cut. I usually don't run when my goal is to bulk because I want my energy level as high as possible so I don't burn out my potential lifts not to mention one needs plenty of rest to build muscles and running just taxes my ability to rest as much as possible.

It's important to eat enough food and hit your macros to replenish glycogen stores and help either retain muscle(if cut) or build muscle (on a bulk). If you are on a run program you can pre-determine your calories burned by this formula.

Hey

I was wondering what you mean by calculating what you're burning when you're running? Body weight + the miles you have ran will equal your calories burned? Thanks just want to make sure I understand you correctly

Thanks, but I'm just a little slow at not understanding what you mean I need more context. So where did the 63 come from? And is it Pounds × 63 × miles =?

its 0.63 (zero point sixty three) which came form the clever person who first came up with the formula in a scientific way...

The clever person was an Italian scientist, Margaria, who published a paper in 1938. The original (approximated) formula is in metric, and much simpler: kcal= weight in kg x kilometers

Good to know, thanks! :smiley:
  • Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options

Hey

Good to know, thanks! :smiley:

You are welcome, I think it may be especially good to know for those who use the metric system :smile:
    Also, the .63 conversion factor may induce someone to think it is an exact formula, while it is not meant to be (it can be 10/15% off).
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    Running is good for you if there are zombies

Also it you love it

Also if the police are chasing you.

Or if you need to catch the bus.

Or the dog

Or one of your offspring.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    So I have been running more like jogging doing intervals. I run for a minute then walk for a minute and a half is that good to lose body fat?

Running is a great cardiovascular exercise and a great way to expend more energy...but it doesn't default to losing weight...there are a lot of people in maintenance who run, cycle, lift, etc...they maintain because they eat to maintain...you have to eat to lose regardless of your exercise.
  • EauRouge1
    EauRouge1 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    robininfl wrote: »

Or the dog

The problem comes when the kids and the dog run off in three different directions. Then you have to pick which one you like the best.

If you are going to be running on hard surfaces, like the road, then I would suggest getting a gait analysis to make sure your feet are being supported properly. It might also be worth doing some core strength work.

I've been running for a few years and I only got injured when I over-did it. I ran 10 miles and then decided to dig over my garden- stupid idea! Resting is important to avoid injuries.

• Lovemehatemebytchez
    Options
    ka97 wrote: »
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    Because careful with running, because of the high injury rate (>20%). If you get joint, shin or foot pain, stop running. :+1:

I would love to know the source of this data.

OP - as the above posters have said, fat loss is the result of a calorie deficit. Running is a great calorie burner and will definitely help with creating that deficit, as long as you also keep your calorie intake in check.
    Running is also great for overall cardiovascular health. And most people who run will tell you it is great for mental and emotional health.
    Running too much or too hard too soon can result in injury. Doing too much of anything too soon can result in injury. It sounds like you are off to a good start. If at some point you want to increase your running intervals I suggest checking out the C25k app - it will give you a structured plan for increasing running/decreasing walking without overdoing it.

I usually eat about 1500 to 1800 calories a day and I Run 5 times a day and I'm really good at pacing myself and focusing on my breathing and yes it really does help with my mental emotional health as well. I actually use the app it's great I love it. Thank you

5 times a day?!

Lol I mean I run 5 days a week.
  • Lovemehatemebytchez
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »

That sounds so nice to run at night but I get hungry after workout that's why I don't work out at night not good to eat before bed.

Eating before bed is fine (assuming you can sleep after eating of course). It has no impact on your weight loss.

Running burns more calories than just about any other exercise. It also strengthens your heart and lungs and the mental workout you get cannot be beat. But, as everyone has said, you cannot outrun a poor diet. Running does allow you to eat more. Just be careful to not overdo it (keep logging and you will be fine).

Good luck.

Yeah sometimes I have a midnight snack mostly cereal Special K I'm not one to go to sleep on a full stomach unless I'm drunk which is rare. I do love running and it's specially eating the exercise part I got making sure I'm eating the right stuff. Thanks
  • Lovemehatemebytchez
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    So I have been running more like jogging doing intervals. I run for a minute then walk for a minute and a half is that good to lose body fat?

Running is a great cardiovascular exercise and a great way to expend more energy...but it doesn't default to losing weight...there are a lot of people in maintenance who run, cycle, lift, etc...they maintain because they eat to maintain...you have to eat to lose regardless of your exercise.

Thanks I know it starts with eating to lose weight.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    EauRouge1 wrote: »
    robininfl wrote: »

Or the dog

The problem comes when the kids and the dog run off in three different directions. Then you have to pick which one you like the best.
    This is where you yell "KIDS!!! ICE CREAM!!" and you all chase down and flank the dog.
  • NomaElephant
    NomaElephant Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Long runs especially in the morning supress my appetite. Great way to curb my cravings especially on weekends. Hence I'll run 5ks during the week and a 20k on the weekend.