What kind of cardio on heavy lifting days?

Options
nyla2120
nyla2120 Posts: 370 Member
I normally do sprints on my lighter days like abs for example. But, what kind of cardio would be good to do on my heavier lifting days like legs? Sprints would be too much for me on those days, but I still want to do some kind of cardio after I finish my lifting, but I don't want to over do it. Any suggestions? Thanks so much!

Replies

• erikasmith2013
    Options
    You know....I was just thinking about this earlier since my Leg day is today! I will be using the Elliptical machine after it to not over do it. Prob between 15-30 minutes. On my other days I Sprint/Walk for 30 on the treadmill and then I do the Elliptical...so for me I am just doing the Elliptical. I think it calms my leg muscles after lifting and running! Good Luck!
  • JamesDanek
    JamesDanek Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    If you did leg day properly, I find a nice gentle crawl on the floor crying in pain is about the only cardio i can manage. (only joking)

Walking is probably my best suggestion. I train in the mornings (heavy compound lifts) 3 days a week and I walk to the gym, then walk on to work and then more often than not I walk home.

Burning fat off like you wouldn't believe.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    My first suggestion would be none, haha. Lifting is usually enough of a workout by itself, and I'm not a big fan of cardio.

But if you really want to do something, the elliptical is a good option since its low-impact. I do 10 minutes or so to cool down after lifting sometimes.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I don't do any kind of cardio on lifting days--I simply don't have any juice left. If I did, I would keep it short and sweet, maybe a 20 min run at 6 mph or slower (or whatever your moderate pace is). Or an equivalent stint on an elliptical/stationary bike.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    depends. I do a 10-12 minute warmup on the arc-trainer.

If I have any control of my legs afterwards, I'll jog a few laps around the gym before heading out... but I don't typically focus on much cardio unless I'm prepping for a race or something.
  • knk1553
    knk1553 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I do between 20-30 mins of cardio after lifting 5 days a week, 2 days a week I just do light cardio. Generally my machine of choice varies and depends on my workout, like for instance, the other day on leg day I thought I would run after, then I tried to do a nice slow jog on the treadmill and about fell off the back, so I switched to the elliptical. Some leg days I can't do any cardio, I say listen to your body and do what you think is best.
  • FattieBabs
    FattieBabs Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    10 minutes warm up on the rower
    40 minutes weights - not heavy lifting as yet but managing around 18 lbs on the chestpresses and deadlifts and around the same on the bicep curls. so a long way to go!

20 minutes on the Stepper set on Interval so 2 minutes fairly relaxed followed by 2 minutes hard work. This seems to be working for me so far. I have noticed it is now harder to get my heart rate up then previously. When finishing the weights part the machines are registering around 135-140 right in the "Cardio" zone.

I do this 3x a week.
  • sweetNsassy2584
    sweetNsassy2584 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    When I lift I like to do 20-30 minutes of HIIT. Its fast and more effective then steady state cardio.
  • Rosamia41
    Rosamia41 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Good to know all this!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Have you considered doing none?
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Kettlebell/DB swings.

Push presses.

Hang cleans.

Hang pulls.

All should "finish you off".
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    The only cardio I do on heavy lifting days is using my shaker cup.
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    Good question. :smile:

Now i feel i'm not doing enough.

Stronglifts is my program:

I'm Squatting 105 5x5, DL 115 5x5, My legs feel good enough to get on the stepper for 20 minutes (level 7 or 8) when i'm done. Am I not doing enough?

Advice please. :flowerforyou: (i hope i didn't "hijack the thread" by asking for advice). :flowerforyou:
  • ngyoung
    ngyoung Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    If your heart rate is elevated while you're doing your lifting circuit you don't really need cardio. Many just a nice walk around the neighborhood or something else low intensity maybe a basic yoga routine.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    Good question. :smile:

Now i feel i'm not doing enough.

Stronglifts is my program:

I'm Squatting 105 5x5, DL 115 5x5, My legs feel good enough to get on the stepper for 20 minutes (level 7 or 8) when i'm done. Am I not doing enough?

Advice please. :flowerforyou: (i hope i didn't "hijack the thread" by asking for advice). :flowerforyou:

You are doing plenty. Stronglifts is intended to be done without any extra strength training or cardio. I'm sure the stepper doesn't hurt, but you could even go without it if you wanted. When I did Stronglifts I didn't do anything else except a couple classes at the gym here and there.
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    just take a nicely-paced walk.
  • nyla2120
    nyla2120 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions! So many great options......
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Walking on an incline!!!!!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Definitely none.
  • kckBxer396
    kckBxer396 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    The only cardio I do on heavy lifting days is using my shaker cup.

:laugh: