What kind of cardio on heavy lifting days?

Options

Replies

• karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I do about 15 minutes on an exercise bike when I am done. Or sometimes just a short (one mile or so) walk.
  • helpfit101
    helpfit101 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    5-20 minutes of light to medium effort jogging
  • __delete
    __delete Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    The only cardio I do on heavy lifting days is using my shaker cup.

This.

And.

Normal walking.
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    Good question. :smile:

Now i feel i'm not doing enough.

Stronglifts is my program:

I'm Squatting 105 5x5, DL 115 5x5, My legs feel good enough to get on the stepper for 20 minutes (level 7 or 8) when i'm done. Am I not doing enough?

Advice please. :flowerforyou: (i hope i didn't "hijack the thread" by asking for advice). :flowerforyou:

You are doing plenty. Stronglifts is intended to be done without any extra strength training or cardio. I'm sure the stepper doesn't hurt, but you could even go without it if you wanted. When I did Stronglifts I didn't do anything else except a couple classes at the gym here and there.

Pheww. Good to know. :flowerforyou:
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    I like doing the rowing machine :)
  • nyla2120
    nyla2120 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I think 15-20 mins at a moderate pace on the elliptical or treadmill will be perfect for me. I don't want to do any hardcore cardio after, I just want to use it to keep my heart rate up a little longer to burn fat & kind of wind down after all that lifting.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I don't do cardio at all on my heavy leg days. I cannot, my legs are jello.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I lift 3 days/week and I just jog for a mile on the treadmill (10 min) to warm up, and then do my lifting routine. Cool down is just stretching on the mats.

On in-between lifting days I'll do a longer run (3-4 miles), go to a ballet class, or do a Yoga or Pilates DVD at home.

You don't need a lot of cardio to get great results!
  • ca11herAlaska
    ca11herAlaska Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I like to use a rowing machine on leg and back days, and I use the elliptical on arm and chest days. They're both low-impact which is nice for me and my bum ankle.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    None--I don't do anything besides walk to the gym and home on heavy leg days.
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Personally I like to go or a short 1.5-2 mile run before my leg workout at an easy pace to get the muscles all nice and warmed up, followed by some quick stretches. I am very prone to injuries so I like to make sure my muscles are hot and ready for the beating they are about to receive. :P Walking is also fine. I always do it before though, because once I lift then my legs are too darn tired.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    None, especially not on a leg day.

I do walk my dog though :)
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    Thanks to the requirements at my job (I'm required to do 60 minutes of calisthenics) I'll do that, and then immediately go into lifting.

The strangest part of it, is all of my lifts are better on days that I do the calisthenics than days that I just lift.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    But what about ice cream? If I dont get me some cardio in, I cant have ice cream. I dont log my lifting, so on those days I come up short. You are all just haters and dont want me to have ice cream!!
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    But what about ice cream? If I dont get me some cardio in, I cant have ice cream. I dont log my lifting, so on those days I come up short. You are all just haters and dont want me to have ice cream!!

A serving of ice cream is what, 180 calories? Log your hour of lifting as 180 calories. Voila, ice cream.
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I don't do much cardio at all but on my lifting days I will either do nothing or just 15 minutes of HIIT. Most sessions are usually followed by taking my dog for a walk though too.

And I eat ice cream. :love:
  • nyla2120
    Options

I'm always pro ice cream!
  • Tankgirl001
    Tankgirl001 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    You can give rowing a go.
  • nyla2120
    Options
    You can give rowing a go.

We don't have a rowing machine at my gym :sad:
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    None.

If you insist, something low impact. Walking or low intensity on the elliptical or something.