OMG Watermelon Calories!

Options

Replies

• richywar7
    richywar7 Posts: 1
    Options
    A calorie is definitely not a calorie! I really wouldn't worry about the calories you think you might put on by eating water melon - the fact your going to hydrate your body and will dilute your acidity levels will far out weigh the negative effects from the sucrose the melon contains - also melon contains fiber which slows the rate of digestion and all importantly slows the release of insulin into your blood stream - no one wants too much insulin in there system ! - as insulin is the key to the cell in your body which allows the sugar released into your blood be let into the cell to be stored as fat .....the type of fat you really don't want swimming around your blood stream.....
    If you really want a diet that works simply cut out all foods that contain more sugar per gram than fiber - and keep your ph level in an alkaline state - (easy to do and measure) drink plenty of water , but a good quality water! And never ever drink cans of soda or any kind of fruit drink - nature intended us to eat fruit not drink it :)
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    damn fruit.... its gonna blow my diet
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I was munching on some Watermelon for my lunch today and decided to log my calories. I used to use MFP faithfully everyday but stopped as i started Slimming World. Watermelon was a (super?)free food on SW that you could eat as much as you liked of, and I wondered what the actual calories would be.

so.. 1/4 watermelon logged in at about 320 cals.... i didn't believe what i was seeing so i googled it too... and yep... 1/4 watermelon IS that many calories!!

I've been doing 30 Day Shred the last few days too and i feel all those cals burned were such a waste on watermelon!!

i've searched this forum and some people say a calorie is a calorie... fair enough..., some people say to disregard the sugar content...again, fair enough... but when you have a budget of XX amount of calories i simply cannot justify 350-or so calories on watermelon.

Rant Over ... lol x
    Wouldn't it depend on the size of the watermelon? 1/4 of a BIG watermelon is not the same as 1/4 of a small watermelon...

And to me, calories used on fruit, especially such a great fruit, are never wasted.
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Great. Now I want watermelon. *mumbles*
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    :drinker:
  • DonaBalant
    Options
    A 1-2 lb watermelon only has about 90 cals. Watermelon is considered a "superfood"; it beats tomatoes for lycopene, for example. The water content is excellent for hydration. Moreover, fruit sugars ARE NOT metabolized the same way as simple sugars, such as that in sodas, etc. fruit sugars metabolize slowly, making watermelon excellent for an endorphin kick before serious exercise. Simple sugars mess with something called the "Krebs Cycle", which is how we metabolize sugars. In essence, simple sugars hit the body hard, forcing extra insulin production and then the well-known crash.

With that said, an 8-10 lb watermelon is about 800 cals. If you are trying to lose weight, attend to portion control. & that includes fruits and vegetables.

Oh-an FYI to fellow juicers- use the rind. It has the most amount of nutrients.

----. A good wash if your fruit & veggies are conventional (not organic) a teaspoon or two of white vinegar in water. Rinse the fruit/veg, & say goodbye to pesticides- or at least those we can get rid of.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Just a reminder that watermelon should be weighed not counted in cups or quarters or whatever. That said, I love watermelon, but I weight it and log it.
  • DonaBalant
    Options
    Just a reminder that watermelon should be weighed not counted in cups or quarters or whatever. That said, I love watermelon, but I weight it and log it.

Yep!!!!!
    I do the same with cantaloupe, honey dew, pineapple, mango, papaya (I'm south - very south) anything that doesn't come in a standard measurable form like an apple or a pear.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I was munching on some Watermelon for my lunch today and decided to log my calories. I used to use MFP faithfully everyday but stopped as i started Slimming World. Watermelon was a (super?)free food on SW that you could eat as much as you liked of, and I wondered what the actual calories would be.

so.. 1/4 watermelon logged in at about 320 cals.... i didn't believe what i was seeing so i googled it too... and yep... 1/4 watermelon IS that many calories!!

I've been doing 30 Day Shred the last few days too and i feel all those cals burned were such a waste on watermelon!!

i've searched this forum and some people say a calorie is a calorie... fair enough..., some people say to disregard the sugar content...again, fair enough... but when you have a budget of XX amount of calories i simply cannot justify 350-or so calories on watermelon.

Rant Over ... lol x

That's a lot of watermelon, but I don't think it's 320 calories. I weighed a quarter of a watermelon once and it came to an unbelievable amount of calories, but I didn't take into account the rind. When I subracted that, it was a lot less. I think I recalculated about 150 calories. It's mostly water. I count that too.
  • elephant2mouse
    elephant2mouse Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    These girls on this fb group I'm in talk about going on watermelon fasts... and banana fasts... where they literally eat nothing but watermelon for days.

:noway:
  • Catter_05
    Catter_05 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    These girls on this fb group I'm in talk about going on watermelon fasts... and banana fasts... where they literally eat nothing but watermelon for days.

:noway:
    Yikes, that's not very healthy.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Yep!!!!!
    I do the same with cantaloupe, honey dew, pineapple, mango, papaya (I'm south - very south) anything that doesn't come in a standard measurable form like an apple or a pear.

I would argue that the same is true of the apple and pear as there is no standard size of those either. Ultimately, the difference may be immaterial, but there's still the high likelihood of a measurement error. (400g Harry & David pears vs. 125g grocery store pears, for example. Mmm, H&D pears...so good.)
  • DonaBalant
    Options
    Good point. I love my kitchen scale. I even weigh bread- as what exactly is a slice? I know that one ounce of bread (not bread such as rosemary & olive oil- sourdough, French, etc. is 90-100 cals.

& in some cases numbers are important. 14 baby carrots is 35 cals. Ok, this may sound a bit OC, but I'm a heavy juicer. I need to know the cal content of what I make.

& 28 baby carrots with 12 oz of watermelon (& ginger if you like it-a great anti-inflammatory, digestive, etc) with a bit of ice makes an outrageous juice. Sometimes I do carrots, beets, and ginger.... A WOW for your whole body:)
  • DonaBalant
    Options
    FRUCTOSE
    WHAT ABOUT IT?

WHY ARE WE SHOUTING?

I scream, you scream, we all scream for....

FRUCTOSE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • DonaBalant
    Options
    Quoted too early. My answer is below. This is not my post.

I wouldn't be so concerned about the calories of the watermelon but I would be more concerned about the amount of sugar you ate!

Yes fruit sugar is much better for you than refined or processed sugars, but too much sugar is still so bad!! Be so careful and to eat protein when you eat fruit so that your blood sugar balances out. By doing so, you lessen your chances of getting diabetes later in life!!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Moreover, fruit sugars ARE NOT metabolized the same way as simple sugars, such as that in sodas, etc. fruit sugars metabolize slowly, making watermelon excellent for an endorphin kick before serious exercise.

Do you believe this is still true if the fiber has been removed (for example, by juicing)?
  • DonaBalant
    Options
    Good luck getting diabetes II from a vegetable/fruit/lean meat diet. One: no insulin spikes. 2. Healthy, happy heart. 3. Lower overall cholesterol, with high 'good' cholesterol and low"bad" cholesterol and low triglycerides. Now if you make a lot of watermelon/vodka drinks, I'd get worried. On more than one count.

Research watermelon, peaches, honeydew, beets, etc.

Overweight and a poor diet create DII. Not watermelon. Unless you stuff your face in a 20 pounder & follow it with a drink. Or 3 and fried chicken or BBQ ribs. Or similar. Plus little/no cardio exercise.

DII by the way is reversible. DI, or " juvenile diabetes" is not.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    A 1-2 lb watermelon only has about 90 cals. Watermelon is considered a "superfood"; it beats tomatoes for lycopene, for example. The water content is excellent for hydration. Moreover, fruit sugars ARE NOT metabolized the same way as simple sugars, such as that in sodas, etc. fruit sugars metabolize slowly, making watermelon excellent for an endorphin kick before serious exercise. Simple sugars mess with something called the "Krebs Cycle", which is how we metabolize sugars. In essence, simple sugars hit the body hard, forcing extra insulin production and then the well-known crash.

With that said, an 8-10 lb watermelon is about 800 cals. If you are trying to lose weight, attend to portion control. & that includes fruits and vegetables.

Oh-an FYI to fellow juicers- use the rind. It has the most amount of nutrients.

----. A good wash if your fruit & veggies are conventional (not organic) a teaspoon or two of white vinegar in water. Rinse the fruit/veg, & say goodbye to pesticides- or at least those we can get rid of.

bump. . . .melons, balls, and cups of various sizes. . . .got it.