OMG Watermelon Calories!

Options

Replies

• trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    watermelon helps burn belly fat

Really? That figures. It would be something I don't really like. LOL!
    it doesn't.
  • trogalicious
    Options
    Thank you. Now i dont feel like so much of a retard.. :)
    i'll weigh it out tonight but i still think i'll avoid it in future!!

absolutely no need to avoid fruit. none.

I do need to accept what a few people have said on here that heathy doesn't have to mean low calorie... i'm just so eager to get closer to my goals that i'm trying anything!! lol

You may just need to reevaluate the goals. I try my best to just eat real food. It's worked for me. sticking to "diet" or "low calorie" foods isn't doing anything except making you suffer through having to eat less filling, less happy versions of something else.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    NO
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    So maybe i'm lost. I've been eating wedges. And recording them as wedges. One wedge comes up as about 86 calories. You guys eating cups and grams, how much watermelon is that? You guys just eating one or two chunks and calling it a day? I'm curious as to how you guys cut up your watermelon, and how you measure it out to be cups or grams. THanks.

I cut a wedge, cut off the rind, and then weigh the flesh. Depending on the size of the watermelon and how thick I cut the wedge, we're talking anywhere from 60-130 calories.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    2 small bowls- 46 cals
  • polarsjewel
    polarsjewel Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    cals burned were such a waste on watermelon!!

i've searched this forum and some people say a calorie is a calorie... fair enough..., some people say to disregard the sugar content...again, fair enough... but when you have a budget of XX amount of calories i simply cannot justify 350-or so calories on watermelon.

I can justify that. Its watermelon and its delicious! I could eat a ton of it.

h20vodka-225x300.jpg

This is the best way to eat watermelon! *high five*
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    That's why my first suggestion to anyone new is always TRACK EVERYTHING because most of us have no idea what we're taking in every day.
  • Lindsey1985x
    Lindsey1985x Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    So maybe i'm lost. I've been eating wedges. And recording them as wedges. One wedge comes up as about 86 calories. You guys eating cups and grams, how much watermelon is that? You guys just eating one or two chunks and calling it a day? I'm curious as to how you guys cut up your watermelon, and how you measure it out to be cups or grams. THanks.

I cut a wedge, cut off the rind, and then weigh the flesh. Depending on the size of the watermelon and how thick I cut the wedge, we're talking anywhere from 60-130 calories.

Looks like i've really overestimated...but hey - beats the backside off of underestimating! :D

thanks everyone.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options

I do need to accept what a few people have said on here that heathy doesn't have to mean low calorie... i'm just so eager to get closer to my goals that i'm trying anything!! lol

Don't be in such a hurry, trying "anything" isn't an answer...at least not a sustainable healthy answer. Stick to a calorie deficit, exercise (to include cardio AND lifting for body composition and muscle retention), stick to your macros and enjoy food you like...such as watermelon.

Bouncing from diet plan to diet plan is most likely doing more harm than good...in terms of your metabolism as well as your relationship to food. Thinking 1/4 watermelon is a "free" food and then getting upset at 320 calories for about 7 1/2 cups of watermelon (which you admit was your entire meal) doesn't seem like a good way to look at things.
  • jfrankic
    jfrankic Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Invest in a food scale. 1/4 of a watermelon means nothing and is impossible to measure.

Or, just eat bacon.
    Bacon_zpsaf9dd8ff.jpg
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Actually, there have been recent studies that show that certain foods do specifically burn visceral fat. I know olive and canola oils are two. I don't recall if watermelon was one, but it's possible.

Don't happen to have a source on those handy do you?
    Sorry, I don't. And I'm at work and not technically supposed to be playing online, so I'm not going to look. :-)

I can tell you I've read this in several reputable places, though. I don't particularly care if you believe me, but if you want to do a quick google search, you'll find what I'm talking about.

Though visceral fat and "belly fat" are not necessarily one and the same. They're just in the same area.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    300 and some calories is a lot? my regular snacks are almost 400 calories.

300+ calories doesn't seem like a really big deal to me.

Fruit is good, if you enjoy it eat it. Weigh it out and log the calories and and enjoy it. Just because it looks like its higher calorie does't mean it is any less healthy.

Are you going to avoid watermelon for the rest of your life? how about are you going to eat low calorie forever? Low fat? I doubt it.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Invest in a food scale. 1/4 of a watermelon means nothing and is impossible to measure.

Or, just eat bacon.
    Bacon_zpsaf9dd8ff.jpg

Thanks beautiful! I hate watermelon - but love me some bacon. :love: :love: :love:
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Did you eat the seeds and were they included in the original calorie count?

The seeds make you pregnant. That's what my childhood friend said while pointing to our pregnant moms. His was not too pregnant to pack a whollop on his behind when she saw the look on the face that idea gave me.
  • RachyLovesRattys
    RachyLovesRattys Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I bought one of those "individual baby seedless watermelons" and figured I'd eat half and give half to mom when she got out of work. Sitting with my spoon and watermelon rind "bowl", I logged it into MFP just like you. Some ish like 80 grams of sugar and 500 calories. It was supposed to be INDIVIDUAL! Needless to say, I was full though. It was a meal!

Then my diabetic friend came over and I told her how outrageous it was and she told me how watermelon and blood sugar is TERRIBLE

ughhh but I love you my watery melon!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    [uote]Then my diabetic friend came over and I told her how outrageous it was and she told me how watermelon and blood sugar is TERRIBLE [/quote]

Unless you are diabetic, you have no reason to worry about this.
  • trogalicious
    Options
    ... I logged it into MFP just like you. Some ish like 80 grams of sugar and 500 calories.

If you didn't weigh it on a food scale, you didn't log it correctly.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options

Don't be in such a hurry, trying "anything" isn't an answer...at least not a sustainable healthy answer. Stick to a calorie deficit, exercise (to include cardio AND lifting for body composition and muscle retention), stick to your macros and enjoy food you like...such as watermelon.

Bouncing from diet plan to diet plan is most likely doing more harm than good...in terms of your metabolism as well as your relationship to food. Thinking 1/4 watermelon is a "free" food and then getting upset at 320 calories for about 7 1/2 cups of watermelon (which you admit was your entire meal) doesn't seem like a good way to look at things.

Ditto^. Jump off the "scary foods" train. And just stand still for a second. For two days just eat what you know is good and don't read anything about foods or talk about foods to anyone. When your adrenaline is down and you are no longer craving the highs and lows from being frightened by all the foods and then excited by the magical ones and all that other unnecessary drama. Come back and start logging whatever you decide to eat. Until you are at cal goals. Do the same the next day. And the next. It's liberating, I swear! If you're bored during those two drama free days, go to target and buy a food scale on one of the days. Go to a watermelon patch on the second day. You'll see they grow out of the ground like any other food and are NOT magic and NOT the devil. The end.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    watermelon helps burn belly fat

Really? That figures. It would be something I don't really like. LOL!

NO...not really. Calorie deficit helps burn belly fat.

Oh shoot?

*takes notes* watermelon gets rid of belly. seeds make pregnant belly. must eat watermelon but must eat it very very carefully...OK got it!
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    cals burned were such a waste on watermelon!!

i've searched this forum and some people say a calorie is a calorie... fair enough..., some people say to disregard the sugar content...again, fair enough... but when you have a budget of XX amount of calories i simply cannot justify 350-or so calories on watermelon.

I can justify that. Its watermelon and its delicious! I could eat a ton of it.

h20vodka-225x300.jpg

^^^Totally!!

Anyone from Mississippi knows that all watermelons are not created equally, as in 1/4 of this melon is way more food than 1/4 of that melon. I either actually weigh the edible portion before I eat, or I look at dimensions listed. And besides, we probably burned most of the calories trying to run while toting the melon after stealing it from someone else's fields :laugh: