OMG Watermelon Calories!

Options

Replies

• evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I know I say this about 300 times a day, but

Kitchen scale.

Yes. Watermelon has 0.3 calories per gram; weighing is the only way to know how many calories you have really consumed.
  • ami5000psu
    ami5000psu Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Now I want some watermelon.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    I LOVE watermelon, but it can be my downfall because I can easily finish off a 3-4" slice in one sitting. Yes, I am peeing a lot for the rest of the day, but I don't pee out the sugar. A slice that size is probably about 8 cups of cubed, if not more. So that equals at least 400 calories, or 100 gr of carbs.

If I stick to only one or two cups, that's ok. But that can be very difficult to do, because it is so YUMMY!
    Altho, in the summer time, I could probably live on watermelon alone. But that wouldn't be too good for my protein and fat macros. :ohwell:
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    OP, you must be mistaken

If it's juicy, it has no calories. imho
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    but at least some of it counts as water
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I was munching on some Watermelon for my lunch today and decided to log my calories. I used to use MFP faithfully everyday but stopped as i started Slimming World. Watermelon was a (super?)free food on SW that you could eat as much as you liked of, and I wondered what the actual calories would be.

so.. 1/4 watermelon logged in at about 320 cals.... i didn't believe what i was seeing so i googled it too... and yep... 1/4 watermelon IS that many calories!!

I've been doing 30 Day Shred the last few days too and i feel all those cals burned were such a waste on watermelon!!

i've searched this forum and some people say a calorie is a calorie... fair enough..., some people say to disregard the sugar content...again, fair enough... but when you have a budget of XX amount of calories i simply cannot justify 350-or so calories on watermelon.

Rant Over ... lol x

I was surprised the first time I did that too. I mean, most of the time, watermelon isn't even that ripe when you get it from the store. It's mostly water, and the sugar hasn't had a chance to store in there.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    OP, you must be mistaken

If it's juicy, it has no calories. imho

Nice try!
  • fullofquirks
    fullofquirks Posts: 182 Member
    Options

Kitchen scale.

otherwise, it's just guessing. I second this.

Kitchen scale.

Another voice praising the wonders of a kitchen scale. Scooped up a nice Oneida digital on clearance at WalMart for 18ish bucks. Best investment ever.
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    That seems like a lot of watermelon, personally I can't eat more than a cup or two.

Unless it's watermelon jam...which i made last weekend. And I probably consumed about 800 cals of watermelon jam and crackers. Every last tasty calorie was worth it.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    since when is 320 calories a lot of calories?
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    I eat entire watermelons. It's one of the most cleansing foods there is.

Such a shame people are afraid of fruit calories when they are consuming thousands of calories a day. Whatever else you're eating is not going to be healthier than the fruit.

I don't think some people understand that you'll end up peering a million times and watermelon helps burn belly fat. Its funny seeing people complain about fruit calories /sugars.

Can you explain the science behind this statement? Because excess sugar, no matter the source, is actually stored as fat, and increases your insulin level, which blocks fat-burning.
  • Lindsey1985x
    Lindsey1985x Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

it was a 12" watermelon... although the massive one on a posters photos!! :D

I started with Watermelon as i also did the GM Diet a few weeks back (very effective and wanted a weightloss boost from stagnating.) this GM Diet encouraged a fruit day, of mainly melon... so i thought it'd be pretty good to have the odd "fruit day" here n there.

i eat between 1200 - 1400 net calories a day as standard, but hadn't eaten watermelon in a long time, so never logged it before.

i did have it for lunch, so calorie consumption for lunch was ok... but i felt that it was really very high for what i thought was a super healthy food.
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options

Kitchen scale.

Exactly!
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    Although watermelon is a fruit and does have some healthy benefits. It is loaded with sugar water. Not good for a diabetic. I eat only 1 or 2 slices then some protien to slow the absorption.
  • Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    since when is 320 calories a lot of calories?
    QFT. It's a lot of water, a lot of fiber, and a lot of yummy. If you're counting it, make it fit. It's a good sized happy healthy snack.
  • chelseascounter
    chelseascounter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    that's a whole lot of watermelon. I eat about 2 servings sometimes 3 and it's between 90-150 cals.
  • hungryhobbit1
    hungryhobbit1 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    But what the heck is "1/4 watermelon?" There are 20 pound watermelons and 3 pound watermelons. I've got one in my downstairs fridge that our family of 4 has been working on for a week.

Hi,

I was munching on some Watermelon for my lunch today and decided to log my calories. I used to use MFP faithfully everyday but stopped as i started Slimming World. Watermelon was a (super?)free food on SW that you could eat as much as you liked of, and I wondered what the actual calories would be.

so.. 1/4 watermelon logged in at about 320 cals.... i didn't believe what i was seeing so i googled it too... and yep... 1/4 watermelon IS that many calories!!

I've been doing 30 Day Shred the last few days too and i feel all those cals burned were such a waste on watermelon!!

i've searched this forum and some people say a calorie is a calorie... fair enough..., some people say to disregard the sugar content...again, fair enough... but when you have a budget of XX amount of calories i simply cannot justify 350-or so calories on watermelon.

Rant Over ... lol x
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    Great...now I have a craving. :love:

I believe I will have some for lunch. Errr...With lunch. If I can find it... LOL
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I eat entire watermelons. It's one of the most cleansing foods there is.

Such a shame people are afraid of fruit calories when they are consuming thousands of calories a day. Whatever else you're eating is not going to be healthier than the fruit.

I don't think some people understand that you'll end up peering a million times and watermelon helps burn belly fat. Its funny seeing people complain about fruit calories /sugars.

Watermelon nor anything else "helps burn belly fat" as opposed to fat on other parts of your body. Sorry but that's just BS -