DO NOT Gobble 'Til You Wobble Challenge!

Options
124»

Replies

• GPSHEALTHCOACHING
    GPSHEALTHCOACHING Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    veg62mptvsef.jpg

Welcome to Day #6 of the Healthy Habits Challenge.

We sure have covered a lot of amazing topics already, haven’t we? Thanks for all your positive feedback! I appreciate that as I roll out this program!

I hope you are doing well, and making small changes as you can. I know you’re probably crazy busy, so that’s why even the smallest changes can really make a big difference, over time.

Let’s talk about catching some Z’s, shall we? Believe it or not, adequate sleep has a lot to do with your overall health and your waistline.

I know how it goes…

You’re on a roll with getting things done, and you want to just keep pushing through. The temptation to stay up just a little bit later to get more done is very real. However, while cutting back on sleep may seem like it will boost your productivity, the opposite is true. It can not only reduce mental clarity but also undermine your healthy lifestyle.

Lack of sleep can lower our willpower, making us more likely to make unhealthy choices. When you’re tired, you’re more susceptible to cravings for unhealthy foods. You are also more likely to try to use sugary, caffeine-laden drinks to try to keep your energy levels up. This can lead to weight gain from consuming empty calories.

Lack of sleep also boosts your body’s production of the stress hormone cortisol. When cortisol levels are raised it causes your body to store fat, particularly around your midsection.

Sleep deprivation can also make you less likely to be active. Think about it - when you are already tired, the last thing you want to do is head to the gym. The lack of exercise combined with increased cortisol levels can deliver a serious blow to your efforts to live a healthy lifestyle.

While everyone’s sleep needs are slightly different, most people need between 7-9 hours of sleep every night to function at their best. You will know that you are getting the right amount of sleep when you wake up feeling refreshed, as opposed to having to drag yourself out of bed.

Don’t allow a lack of sleep to undermine the healthy lifestyle you have worked so hard to attain. Find a sleep routine that works for you and stick to it. Your body will thank you!

How many hours of sleep can you commit to getting each night this week?

Live Healthy,
    Jodie

• GPSHEALTHCOACHING
    GPSHEALTHCOACHING Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    wia31a2fxmo2.jpg

Yay, it’s day 7!!! You made it!

This week has just FLOWN by, don’t you think?

Today, we are addressing a topic that you may or may not be familiar with – MINDFUL EATING!!!

You’re taking steps to make healthier choices with your diet, and are making sure you are getting adequate exercise each day. But are you practicing mindful eating?

You may be asking “What the heck is mindful eating?”

According to Today’s Dietitian, mindful eating is the key to losing or maintaining weight. They state, “The core principles of mindful eating include being aware of the nourishment available through the process of food preparation and consumption, choosing enjoyable and nutritious foods, acknowledging food preferences nonjudgmentally, recognizing and honoring physical hunger and satiety cues, and using wisdom to guide eating decisions.”

Mindful eating is easy to put into practice. Simply slow down, chew more, enjoy the food and company. All it takes is making sure that you are intentional with your food consumption.

In addition to the weight loss benefits, some studies show that we absorb more nutrients when our food is adequately broken down in our mouth, before digestion. In an article about mindful eating US News states, “The more you chew, the more nutrients you will absorb. Considering we eat to nourish our bodies, this is an important point to make. If you properly chew your food, it will be digested and metabolized more effectively.”

Mindful eating can also help you enjoy your food more. Take the time to savor the various flavors and textures as you chew. Many times our hectic lives lead us to rush through a meal without ever taking the time to truly appreciate our food.

Adding mindful eating to your healthy lifestyle can be an excellent way to complement your existing habits. It can help you lose weight, aid in digestion, and help you to enjoy your food more than ever before. Give it a try and see how you feel.

Be sure to practice "Mindful Eating" on Thanksgiving Day and I guarantee you'll eat LESS!!! Enjoy the quality of your food and not the quantity!

Live Healthy!
    Jodie

• vnb_208
    vnb_208 Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    I'M IN !