Do you weigh icecream?

Options

Replies

• gillie80
    gillie80 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I usually do, in grams, however last night my husband served and i had already dug in by the time i remembered. oops lol.

i usually eat ice cream from a local shop that's 97% fat free, but i still log it and weigh it.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,068 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    better to not eat it

Why? the OP obviously want to eat Ice cream as they are asking the questions. If they weigh accurately and stick to their calories they will still hit their goals.

Yes I also would like to know why.

Lost weight and then successfully maintained for over 2 years, eating ice cream several times per week.

• Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    better to not eat it

I've lost nearly 118 lbs while still eating ice cream. Explain to me how not eating it would have been any better? Actually, I can save you the trouble... Guess what? It wouldn't be any better. In fact denying myself something I want can make it worse. I'll stick to my way. It obviously works for me just fine.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Yes, always weigh it, even if I'm not actually logging.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Is this so you can keep a mental note of calories? Or just because you can.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Even when I'm not logging I like to eat about a serving size (or particular size I know from experience works for me) of certain foods that I don't eyeball well. Pasta (because I always think it's going to be less than it is when dry) and ice cream (probably because I can lie to myself easy about how much it is, especially if my favorite little bowl is in the dish washer) are two main examples. So, yeah, because I want to be honest with myself about the calories involved (and usually have 200-250 calories) even when not logging.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    No. I haven't seen an ice cream package that listed an actual weight. It's either 1/2 cup or 125 mL. I use a #8 food scoop which equals 1/2 cup. I also serve it in tiny bowls so I don't feel like it was a complete waste of time.
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Yes, and I've actually started portioning it ahead of time! I can't believe I never thought of doing that before now. I'm not sure why quite why it works for me because I could just as easily grab two single portions out of the freezer, but I don't!
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options

Even when I'm not logging I like to eat about a serving size (or particular size I know from experience works for me) of certain foods that I don't eyeball well. Pasta (because I always think it's going to be less than it is when dry) and ice cream (probably because I can lie to myself easy about how much it is, especially if my favorite little bowl is in the dish washer) are two main examples. So, yeah, because I want to be honest with myself about the calories involved (and usually have 200-250 calories) even when not logging.

Makes sense to me. It is incredibly easy to underestimate portion sizes from eyeballing I find.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I didn't when I was sick, but I do most of the time
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    better to not eat it

I would not be happy if I gave up ice cream. I lost almost 65 pounds eating it several times a week.

Anyway, yes I weigh it. And if I have chocolate syrup on it, it gets weighed too.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    better to not eat it

This makes me sad. No ice cream? :'(

Yep, I weigh mine, especially since I don't stick to just one serving all the time.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    better to not eat it

I would not be happy if I gave up ice cream. I lost almost 65 pounds eating it several times a week.

Anyway, yes I weigh it. And if I have chocolate syrup on it, it gets weighed too.

Oh, chocolate syrup is a must on my vanilla ice cream...
    ...and sometimes crumbled Oreos, which also get weighed...
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    better to not eat it
    It's pretty easy to fit 400 calories of ice cream and a little waffle bowl on my maintainence days.

If I eat lots of whole foods everyday, why is it better not to eat it?

• MsAmandaNJ
    MsAmandaNJ Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    When I eat it at home, I weigh it in grams. When out, I estimate in cups. However, ice cream is a huge weakness for me, so I rarely have it. Weighing it does help in not going back for seconds, I put it in a ramekin so that I eat much less of it, taking my time to savor the deliciousness.
  • hope516
    hope516 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    no i eat it
  • Savyna
    Savyna Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    Yes I weigh in grams for the most part.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I think I did in the past. But no.. I don't. But if you want to be as accurate in your logging as possible it is probably a good idea

Ps. In Canada the label is usually measured in ml and it's not always in the database in grams so... lazy
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Depends.

If it's Ben and Jerry's I'll sometimes just estimate how much of the pint I ate. I live alone, so I know I'll be eating the whole thing eventually and it'll average out. I've always found that B&J's shorts the pint by up to 20 grams. So it's not likely I'll be underestimating the total.

Otherwise, I weigh. Other pints aren't as consistent.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    better to not eat it

Oh, chocolate syrup is a must on my vanilla ice cream...
    ...and sometimes crumbled Oreos, which also get weighed...

Two servings of Edy's Slow Churned vanilla bean, a serving of Hershey's syrup...300 calories of wonderful.