High carb

Options

Replies

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    without reading all the replies, I am on a high carb(over 200 most days,so to me it is) low fat diet,due to my health issues the dr said I have to eat a low fat,low cholesterol diet.so I eat a lot of carbs.I cant do low carb because then I would have to do high fat, my body doesnt do well on high fat.(I did lower carb and high fat and it was not good), I guess it all depends on how you want to eat.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Hornsby wrote: »
    So I eat 175 grams of protein per day, 300 grams of carbs and 100 grams of fats per day and thats a minimum. Wonder what I shall classify it?

happiness....

So simple, yet so true.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    For non-endurance athletes, the debate is different. Obviously there are some of us with medical issues who benefit greatly from a low carb diet. But for the otherwise healthy person eating a SAD (high carb) diet, the question is about satiety. While everyone is different, 2/3 of Americans are overweight or obese. This statistic makes me think that many Americans are still hungry after maintenance when eating SAD, thus leading to consumption of excess calories. So for the otherwise healthy person who is tracking and restricting calorie consumption to avoid over-consumption, high carb works.

This is a common misconception that SAD is high carb and that's what's responsible for US obesity (rather than overconsumption). Interestingly, the US is one of the lowest carb countries. Many countries in the "under 50%" carbs category, like US, UK, Australia, also have the highest levels of overweight and obesity compared to the truly high carb countries.

http://chartsbin.com/view/1154

l_1154_e3dc1a199dbd762b8dd0e783f86c4ca0

Perhaps that point is valid as a percentage of total diet. However, quantity is a different story.

Same website: http://chartsbin.com/view/1160

U.S. kcal per person per day: 3,770 And 49% carbs
    3,770 X 49% = 1,847 calories from carbs per day / 4 calories per gram = 462g of carbs per day

I know it is subjective and some might disagree, but 462g of carbs per day is high carb.

Compare that to the Democratic Republic of the Congo with 80% carbs (Wow! That is tied with Bangladesh for the highest carb consumer on the chart you shared):
    1,590 kcal per person per day X 80% = 1,272 / 4 calories per gram = 318g of carbs per day

This is also high carb, but the percentage of total diet makes it appear to be lower because we eat a lot of everything. Americans eat 45% more carbs than people of the Congo, who appear to be the highest carb consumers from the chart you first shared. So yes, SAD is high carb. The fact that SAD is high in everything else doesn't change that it is high in carbs.

Every definition I've seen for the Standard American Diet is high fat, low fiber, highly processed, low in plant-based food. Nothing about carbs.

When you say a diet is "high carb" that refers to what percentage of the total diet is carbs. A person eating 1000 cals and 150g of carbs is eating a high carb diet because 70% of the cals come from carbs. A person eating 3000 cals and eating 150g of carbs is eating a low carb diet because only 20% of their cals come from carbs. It's not about the number of grams or quantities of carbs.

OP, I never pay attention to carbs and they usually fall for me in what I've always seen termed "moderate" - 50-55%. I focus on getting protein to @ 80-100 g. So I'd say typically 55% carbs, 20% protein, 25% fat.

Everyone talks about carbs and fat, but I found that getting my protein up made me way more likely to hit my calorie target without being hungry. Fiber would be the next most important to me. Once those two things are in line I'm good, and I don't really pay attention to where carbs and fat end up. I'm a firm believer that macro splits are mostly personal preference, maybe they become a bit more important in relation to fitness goals or health conditions.

Nope, when I say high carb, I mean how many grams of carbs are included. Maybe you mean percentage and maybe some others mean percentage, but I don't.

But we are talking about a term that has an actual definition. The definition of HCLF is percentages. You can't just redefine a common term so it fits your POV. HCLF is a diet where a high percentage of the calories come from carbs. That's like saying you've decided the Mediterranean Diet is a diet where you eat lots of goat meat, and then you argue with people who say the Mediterranean Diet is a balanced diet because when you say Mediterranean you mean lots of goat meat. :confused:

Fine - let me know what term you want me to use in this discussion to refer to those who eat a lot of carbs and I'll use that term. It's just semantics at this point.

ETA: FTR, I never said HCLF. I said "high carb."

Maybe I am splitting hairs, but honestly, I've never heard the SAD diet termed a high carb diet. It's always about how much red meat, processed meat, and fast food we eat. And when I eat fast food, it's a fat heavy meal, not a carb heavy meal.

I eat moderate pretty much everything, so I don't know what term to use!

If your fast food meal is a cheeseburger, fries, and a soda; then I would consider it high carb.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Gamliela wrote: »
    I was vegetarian for years and followed a low fat high carb way of eating.
    Gamliela wrote: »
    Lower carb also enables me to eat more easily in social and traveling situations snd still get the macros and nutritional standard I have set for myself.

Isn't it more likely that your difficulties in such situations are related to being a vegetarian?

When I ate SAD, I would go to fast food when I traveled and would usually get a sandwich / burger and fries.
    On low carb, I get a sandwich / burger without a bun and no side. Sometimes I'll get 2 burgers instead.
    I would guess that a vegetarian would just get fries and no sandwich.

Obviously there are some variations depending on where you go, but burger and fries is the typical in a lot of travel / on-the-go establishments. If I have time, I find that Subways are the most flexible to obtain more food that is low carb (and vegetarian if you want) because I can get a salad with meat in it while vegetarians can get a salad without meat. But that is a variation for a specific place... it is just a question of what is available in the specific location.

Then again, we all have different methods and speeds of travel. When I travel for leisure, it is different than when I travel for business. My longer leisure trips are always road trips and I'm driving around 500 miles per night (more or less). You would think that somewhere along the way in that many miles, I could find plenty of options. But since I do most of my driving at night and I don't move around or want to spend a lot of time during the day looking for fast food, I go by a lot of places that are not open anyway. For those that are, I have to spend a bit more time ordering low carb. I must be the only person in America who gets a meatball salad sometimes at Subway, for example, and have to help them figure out how to make it (except at my local Subway where they know me very well by now).

The last time I traveled we got some canned things like salmon, sardines, tuna and veg, like peas and green beans to take along with us. When in italy there used to be great veg options in restaurants, but in most countries large servings of freshly cooked veg or salads haven't been as easy to find. Its easier to order fish, meat or chicken, skip bread and potatoes and hope for a nice side of veg. Nuts and yogurt are helpful on trips, so we bring a small cooler for those. French bed and breakfasts vary, but usually there will be eggs amd meats, natural yogurt and also lots of pastries and a variety of fresh fruit. Portugal seemed unusual, nearly every type of food was deep fried in some form of batter, and vegetables/salads in restaurants were very sparse. So thats where I learned the art of bring my own foods and make a picnic of it.

• littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Feel like trash when I eat low carb so I eat mod/high but I don't mess with macros that much just calories.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    For non-endurance athletes, the debate is different. Obviously there are some of us with medical issues who benefit greatly from a low carb diet. But for the otherwise healthy person eating a SAD (high carb) diet, the question is about satiety. While everyone is different, 2/3 of Americans are overweight or obese. This statistic makes me think that many Americans are still hungry after maintenance when eating SAD, thus leading to consumption of excess calories. So for the otherwise healthy person who is tracking and restricting calorie consumption to avoid over-consumption, high carb works.

This is a common misconception that SAD is high carb and that's what's responsible for US obesity (rather than overconsumption). Interestingly, the US is one of the lowest carb countries. Many countries in the "under 50%" carbs category, like US, UK, Australia, also have the highest levels of overweight and obesity compared to the truly high carb countries.

Perhaps that point is valid as a percentage of total diet. However, quantity is a different story.

3,770 X 49% = 1,847 calories from carbs per day / 4 calories per gram = 462g of carbs per day

I know it is subjective and some might disagree, but 462g of carbs per day is high carb.

Compare that to the Democratic Republic of the Congo with 80% carbs (Wow! That is tied with Bangladesh for the highest carb consumer on the chart you shared):
    1,590 kcal per person per day X 80% = 1,272 / 4 calories per gram = 318g of carbs per day

This is also high carb, but the percentage of total diet makes it appear to be lower because we eat a lot of everything. Americans eat 45% more carbs than people of the Congo, who appear to be the highest carb consumers from the chart you first shared. So yes, SAD is high carb. The fact that SAD is high in everything else doesn't change that it is high in carbs.

Every definition I've seen for the Standard American Diet is high fat, low fiber, highly processed, low in plant-based food. Nothing about carbs.

When you say a diet is "high carb" that refers to what percentage of the total diet is carbs. A person eating 1000 cals and 150g of carbs is eating a high carb diet because 70% of the cals come from carbs. A person eating 3000 cals and eating 150g of carbs is eating a low carb diet because only 20% of their cals come from carbs. It's not about the number of grams or quantities of carbs.

OP, I never pay attention to carbs and they usually fall for me in what I've always seen termed "moderate" - 50-55%. I focus on getting protein to @ 80-100 g. So I'd say typically 55% carbs, 20% protein, 25% fat.

Everyone talks about carbs and fat, but I found that getting my protein up made me way more likely to hit my calorie target without being hungry. Fiber would be the next most important to me. Once those two things are in line I'm good, and I don't really pay attention to where carbs and fat end up. I'm a firm believer that macro splits are mostly personal preference, maybe they become a bit more important in relation to fitness goals or health conditions.

Nope, when I say high carb, I mean how many grams of carbs are included. Maybe you mean percentage and maybe some others mean percentage, but I don't.

Does that make SAD a high carb, high fat high, protein diet?

I suppose it does.

So....overconsumption in general, then?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,012 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options

But we are talking about a term that has an actual definition. The definition of HCLF is percentages. You can't just redefine a common term so it fits your POV. HCLF is a diet where a high percentage of the calories come from carbs. That's like saying you've decided the Mediterranean Diet is a diet where you eat lots of goat meat, and then you argue with people who say the Mediterranean Diet is a balanced diet because when you say Mediterranean you mean lots of goat meat. :confused:

Fine - let me know what term you want me to use in this discussion to refer to those who eat a lot of carbs and I'll use that term. It's just semantics at this point.

Maybe I am splitting hairs, but honestly, I've never heard the SAD diet termed a high carb diet. It's always about how much red meat, processed meat, and fast food we eat. And when I eat fast food, it's a fat heavy meal, not a carb heavy meal.

If your fast food meal is a cheeseburger, fries, and a soda; then I would consider it high carb.

From my diary on Friday:

Wendys - Fresh Cut French Fries - Small, 54 g (small) : 155 cals: 20g carbs, 2g Protein, 8g fat
    Wendy's - Single Hamburger With Cheese(No Mayo): 490 cals: 41g carbs, 29g Protein, 23g fat
    I had a diet soda

So 645 calories total: 61g carbs (244 cals), 31g protein (124 cals), 31g fat (279 cals). Which is 38% carbs and 43% fat.

I went over my cal goal on that day, but that was because of beer and gelato after dinner :) Would have been under all my numbers if I had just gone to bed when I meant to!
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    peter2100 wrote: »
    I've seen a few threads on low carb, but I'm wondering if there's anyone here who prefers high carb. And if you are low carb, what convinced you to go low carb? And have you considered high carb?

It's low carb or high carb, then? No in between? :lol:

I kid.

I feel best and most satiated when my macros are more balanced. My carb goal sits right around 155, with ~100 g protein and ~60 g fat, which works out to be 40/35/25. I would never argue that this is optimal for everyone or that it would work for everyone, but this is the sweet spot for me and is pretty easy for me to adhere to.

That said, as long as I meet my protein and fat goals for the day, if I have calories left over I will fill them with whatever the heck I feel like, which may be ice cream, cookies, some chocolate, popcorn, booze, bacon, cheese - the possibilities are endless for me. If that causes my carbs to be "high" for the day, it doesn't concern me. I don't suffer from more hunger on my higher-carb days and have not had any issues losing weight.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options

I suppose it does.

Yes, still hungry when eating high carb.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options

From my diary on Friday:

Wendys - Fresh Cut French Fries - Small, 54 g (small) : 155 cals: 20g carbs, 2g Protein, 8g fat
    Wendy's - Single Hamburger With Cheese(No Mayo): 490 cals: 41g carbs, 29g Protein, 23g fat
    I had a diet soda

So 645 calories total: 61g carbs (244 cals), 31g protein (124 cals), 31g fat (279 cals). Which is 38% carbs and 43% fat.

I went over my cal goal on that day, but that was because of beer and gelato after dinner :) Would have been under all my numbers if I had just gone to bed when I meant to!

I would see that as a moderate carb meal, but I would guess that most Americans are drinking regular soda and quite a few would have upgraded to medium or large fries and soda. On MFP, I wouldn't expect to see a lot of users who are eating SAD and not tracking. When I'm sitting in a Wendy's, though, I would expect that I'm going to see a majority of customers eating a high carb meal rather than your moderate carb meal.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options

From my diary on Friday:

I had a diet soda

I would see that as a moderate carb meal, but I would guess that most Americans are drinking regular soda and quite a few would have upgraded to medium or large fries and soda. On MFP, I wouldn't expect to see a lot of users who are eating SAD and not tracking. When I'm sitting in a Wendy's, though, I would expect that I'm going to see a majority of customers eating a high carb meal rather than your moderate carb meal.

I guess we're going to have to agree to disagree then!

It seems you find carbs make you hungry. I believe you that it's true for you. But I don't agree that's universally true. I know for a fact at least that it's not true for me. So again, agree to disagree. :drinker:

That wasn't my point, and I'm not clear what your point is... so I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be disagreeing about.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,012 Member
    Options

From my diary on Friday:

I had a diet soda

I guess we're going to have to agree to disagree then!

It seems you find carbs make you hungry. I believe you that it's true for you. But I don't agree that's universally true. I know for a fact at least that it's not true for me. So again, agree to disagree. :drinker:

That wasn't my point, and I'm not clear what your point is... so I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be disagreeing about.

You said you don't think my meal was a typical American fast food meal. You said you think the SAD diet is high carb. You implied (I think) that the high carb SAD diet makes people overeat because they are still hungry despite eating all those carbs. I disagree with all those things. Apologies if I misread.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options

I suppose it does.

But if macros are otherwise pretty balanced (which in all honesty, they are pretty balanced in the SAD), then they aren't technically eating "high carb." They're eating "high everything." Overeating is caused by a multitude of factors, but if you're trying to argue that so many Americans are obese because of all the carbs they're eating, your argument just doesn't really hold water.

"High everything" includes "high carb" inherent within that definition. The whole question of this thread is whether anyone has tried high carb. The answer is that most Americans do eat high carb. Also, most Americans are overweight or obese.

Maybe I misunderstood, but my understanding of the counter-argument is: "Yea, but Americans aren't overweight or obese because they eat high carb, it is because they eat other macros in high amounts also."

And my answer to that is: OK, sure... Americans eat even more carbs in total grams than this other country (Congo) tied with the highest percentage. ---> So my point is about over-consumption also. The difference between my point and yours seems to be that I consider over-consumption of everything to be a high carb diet and you don't. The only relevance of our disagreement is semantics about whether the mostly overweight and obese population (Americans) eats high carb. If you deem SAD high carb, then you will see the correlation between eating high carb and being overweight or obese. If you believe that SAD is not high carb, then you won't see the correlation that I see.

It's fine if you don't see that correlation. Just know that we can't move into the "why" discussion until you do.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Easy question. What amount of each macro makes it "high"?
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

I suppose it does.

But if macros are otherwise pretty balanced (which in all honesty, they are pretty balanced in the SAD), then they aren't technically eating "high carb." They're eating "high everything." Overeating is caused by a multitude of factors, but if you're trying to argue that so many Americans are obese because of all the carbs they're eating, your argument just doesn't really hold water.

"High everything" includes "high carb" inherent within that definition. The whole question of this thread is whether anyone has tried high carb. The answer is that most Americans do eat high carb. Also, most Americans are overweight or obese.

Maybe I misunderstood, but my understanding of the counter-argument is: "Yea, but Americans aren't overweight or obese because they eat high carb, it is because they eat other macros in high amounts also."

And my answer to that is: OK, sure... Americans eat even more carbs in total grams than this other country (Congo) tied with the highest percentage. ---> So my point is about over-consumption also. The difference between my point and yours seems to be that I consider over-consumption of everything to be a high carb diet and you don't. The only relevance of our disagreement is semantics about whether the mostly overweight and obese population (Americans) eats high carb. If you deem SAD high carb, then you will see the correlation between eating high carb and being overweight or obese. If you believe that SAD is not high carb, then you won't see the correlation that I see.

It's fine if you don't see that correlation. Just know that we can't move into the "why" discussion until you do.

Again, where are you drawing the conclusion that most Americans eat high carb from? Based on your interpretation of SAD? If you put 50 Americans in a room, you think that there is a standard way of eating amongst all of them, or even a majority of them? The phrase Standard American Diet is one of those phrases like "clean eating" that I do not believe has an objective, consistent definition or application - so it is overall a useless term.

Individuals (American or otherwise) are not obese because they eat too many carbs. They are obese because they eat too many calories. Period.

If you go back, there are sources identifying average per-person, per day consumption of carbs.