90 minute Q&A - All fitness and weight loss related please

Options

Replies

• ssaraj43
    ssaraj43 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later. Thanks stoutman very nice of you:-)
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    I may be late but I started reading through everyone's posts and I have to admit, I started over two ago and I have yo-yo'd a bit and I know it's my eating habits. I started at 150-something over two years ago and I am now at 135. I am 4'11'' and I, unfortunately, have 33% body fat. I began going to the gym four times a week since the beginning of April and/or doing P90x workouts at home when I am unable to get to the gym. I have tried counting my calories but when you look at my overall graph (weekly, monthly, whatever) I tend to be erratic.

My question is this, I would like to get to a healthy BMI, but considering I'm a latin girl who would like to put on muscle I don't think that would be the best way to set my goal. I was thinking it would be better through body fat percentage, right? Also, is there ANYWHERE i can find example menus of simple things to make to stay under 1200 a day so I can follow a better diet? I hate the idea of "dieting" but I really need to tweak my caloric intake. Simply staying under 1200 before helped me lose the weight I needed to get to 135 but I wasn't following a diet - just keeping my mouth shut when I didn't want to go over. Now I have a harder time saying no when I get hungry. (Hence the reason I turned to focusing on the gym). I just need some guidance. I really want to focus on lifelong health rather than just "getting skinny."

It sounds to me as if you have an issue of excluding the middle. Put differently, you tend to focus on the extremes of the spectrum rather than the middle. The problem is, the middle tends to be where people find their sweet spots. By that I mean, they find methods of eating and exercising that jive with their lives. They find sustainability and if they're persistent enough, they learn to love a lifestyle that garners health and a good body.

Extremes work in the sense that they'll get the ball rolling initially. They'll lead to weight loss and such. Often times though, after some time has passed, they either leave you stranded in the middle of nowhere feeling desperate and directionless or they leave you rebounding back to where you were before... or worse.

I'm not knocking the approach you've taken to get here... not at all. I commend you actually. You've lost some weight and you're working towards figuring stuff out. Just realize that you're in the midst of a process of experimentation. It's really the only way to go about it if you're truly going to custom tailor an approach to YOU.

Why do I say you exclude the middle.

1. You yo-yo diet, which is a telltale sign.

2. It's either eating really low calories or it's exercising by the sound of it... not more subtle combinations of both.

The latter one is where you need to focus. If your goal is more fat loss, which sounds like is the right focus, stick with something like 1300 calories. Don't deprive yourself. Don't think of it as a diet. In fact, if you want to be as loose as possible while still doing likely enough to generate positive physique changes... eat 130 grams of protein, 3-4 servings of fibrous veggies, and a piece or two of fruit per day. Maybe throw in some healthy fats like fish oils, nuts, avocados or whatever. Let that stand as your baseline target each day. Beyond that, do you. Eat whatever the heck you want. Is that a perfect approach? Nope. Perfectionism is the root of failure though.

Forget about BMR and don't sweat your body fat percentage. Dial in your diet as I suggested and focus on being consistent. If, after a few weeks things aren't heading in the right direction, you adjust. Maybe knock your calories down by 10% or so. Maybe you add in some conditioning work.

I'd keep resistance training in the mix for sure, as that's one of the only arrows we have in our quivers for helping preserve muscle while losing weight. Do you need 4 days per week? Absolutely not. A handful of full body sessions per week would cut it... maybe just two.

Welcome to the middle.

Quite possibly the best thing I have ever read on this site. Thank you!

That's because, as far as I can tell, the conversations on this forum (speaking very generally obviously) have deteriorated to levels where it's all about being right opposed to actually feeling out the people asking for help and offering contextually relevant advice. Everyone seems to think they have The Answers, as if there were such a thing. And those knowers-of-all feel the need to preach because they've lost 10 lbs and they happened upon a pubmed abstract that confirms their bias... never minding the remainder of the available body of research on the topic they're clamoring about or the real life application of it all... all while never actually coaching someone in their life.

I don't point that at anyone in particular and I don't mean to be a blowhard. It's just frustrating that it's nearly impossible to have intelligent conversations anymore because everyone lets their ego get in the way.

And I hate using words like everyone, this entire forum, and such... there are some amazingly bright and awesome people around here. But the forums have been painful as of late, which is why I generally choose to start my own threads.

/rant

Bumping...but also, thank you SO much for the last part!! Fairly new here, and for the most part I find the forums to be very negative, rude, and critical. It's like a certain group have their own little snarky sarcasm club and they like to belittle others to feel better about themselves. I appreciate you taking the time to answer all these questions! It means a lot, to a lot of people!

Well thanks very much for the kind words and I'm glad you enjoyed the read. I often times get that same vibe around here, which is likely why I take so many breaks. One of the reasons at least. I think that's how 'forum life' tends to be on any forum though, which is definitely unfortunate as they can be awesome tools for learning and support.
  • Chelz2013
    Chelz2013 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later
  • Joydriven
    Joydriven Posts: 46
    Options
    Just skimmed this and so appreciate the knowledge! This is on my to read late at night while unable to sleep list. Above Terry Gross.
  • pinalety
    pinalety Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    bump
  • stroutman81
    Options
    Just skimmed this and so appreciate the knowledge! This is on my to read late at night while unable to sleep list. Above Terry Gross.

Thanks! Glad you are enjoying it and obviously I'm still checking the thread so if any questions pop up, feel free to post them.
  • stroutman81
    Options
    Bumping this... have some time this afternoon.
  • bikinisuited
    bikinisuited Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I am a soon to be 41 yo and I have 5 lbs to lose to reach my goal. My weight loss is mainly to focus on diet to reach my ultimate weight. Eventually, I want to get back in pilates and minimal cardio. The problem, I have had two knee surgeries during the last 8 years and recently experienced a baker's cyst within the last year. Orthopedic doctor asparated my knee as recently as last week and it hurst when I do stairs, speed walking and elliptical. Any suggestions as to what cardio low impact on my knees. I attempted fast walk, elliptical, spin classes, walking in the pool, stair master, barre classes, reformer classes and I have gone through 5 trainers within the last 9 yos (despite my reminders about my knees, they had me do some workout that injured my knee) and as a result of all my attempts I have created a baker's cyst. No more trainers. Swimming is out due to my hair treatments keratin..;0)

Row machine, do you think that might be an option any other suggestions?

Thank you for all the info definitely will be reading.

Great day,

Rosie
  • stroutman81
    Options
    I am a soon to be 41 yo and I have 5 lbs to lose to reach my goal. My weight loss is mainly to focus on diet to reach my ultimate weight. Eventually, I want to get back in pilates and minimal cardio. The problem, I have had two knee surgeries during the last 8 years and recently experienced a baker's cyst within the last year. Orthopedic doctor asparated my knee as recently as last week and it hurst when I do stairs, speed walking and elliptical. Any suggestions as to what cardio low impact on my knees. I attempted fast walk, elliptical, spin classes, walking in the pool, stair master, barre classes, reformer classes and I have gone through 5 trainers within the last 9 yos (despite my reminders about my knees, they had me do some workout that injured my knee) and as a result of all my attempts I have created a baker's cyst. No more trainers. Swimming is out due to my hair treatments keratin..;0)

Great day,

Rosie

Wow, that's brutal. The good news is diet can be used in isolation to reach your goals. But having the ability to expend some additional calories definitely helps ease the process. Walking hurt too much? Haven't your docs or therapists offered up any options?

Have you tried any variants of cycling?

I have a feeling that the row machine is going to hurt. It's essentially repetitive quarter/half squats during the first stage of the motion.
  • bikinisuited
    Options

Great day,

Rosie

Wow, that's brutal. The good news is diet can be used in isolation to reach your goals. But having the ability to expend some additional calories definitely helps ease the process. Walking hurt too much? Haven't your docs or therapists offered up any options?

I have a feeling that the row machine is going to hurt. It's essentially repetitive quarter/half squats during the first stage of the motion.

New orthopedic suggested elliptical and walking, not a great plan. Speed walking and/or 30 minutes without a break freaking hurts. I stay pretty active but these last months, I had to cut cardio and strength training (emotinally hard) as the pain is significant. OT in the past to strengtht my quats. Squats, lunges are ouchies all the way, told trainers to STOP. Mat pilates might be an option and perhaps STOP cardio. I do like the soft toned body (VS models), this might be a good alternatibe right? I am currently 102.6 and hoping to reach 98-99.

I have always been so active n many assume that I am pretty active based on my physique. last 2 mos, walking and pilates. Very sweet of you to reply. Greatly appreciated!!!
  • bikinisuited
    Options

Great day,

Rosie

New orthopedic suggested elliptical and walking, not a great plan. Speed walking and/or 30 minutes without a break freaking hurts. I stay pretty active but these last months, I had to cut cardio and strength training (emotinally hard) as the pain is significant. OT in the past to strengtht my quats. Squats, lunges are ouchies all the way, told trainers to STOP. Mat pilates might be an option and perhaps STOP cardio. I do like the soft toned body (VS models), this might be a good alternatibe right? I am currently 102.6 and hoping to reach 98-99.

I have always been so active n many assume that I am pretty active based on my physique. last 2 mos, walking and pilates. Very sweet of you to reply. Greatly appreciated!!!

Cycling hurts too. Ortho surgery is not an option for me personally. What a nut case, right?
  • Spartan_1_1_7
    Spartan_1_1_7 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Bumping for reference. Thank you for all the great info.
  • stroutman81
    Options

Great day,

Rosie

This might sound harsh, but do you really think that losing 3 lbs or whatever is going to make a big difference in your physique?

How tall are you?

And you don't NEED exercise to lose weight as long as your nutrition is dialed in. But I had no idea that you were as light as you are. I'm assuming you're short in stature? Given how small your are, your calorie allotment is already so freaking small that it is definitely tough to lose weight without the aid of at least some exercise.

And of course, if all else fails, pilates would at least offer up some additional calorie expenditure.

There are upper body cycle ergometers out there. Not sure if your gym has one of those.

And you could always do some sort of light weight, low rest, high volume circuit training routine with weights utilizing exercises that don't hurt your knee. It would take some experimentation, but that's likely a great alternative. Obviously a lot of the big upper body exercises could be utilized. And you'd have to test out some of the lower body exercises. In many of the knee patients I've dealt with, avoiding a lot of flexion made sense so a lot of squat and lunge variations were nixed. But I could often get away with a lot of the hip hinge exercises such as romanian deadlifts, pull throughs, swings, etc.
  • bikinisuited
    Options
    I am 5'1 and shooting for commercial modeling. Waiting to get braces off in the next 2 mons. My agent typically wants me to stay between 98-100, comfortably to wear double 00 in petites and look great in leggings. I have some minimal noticeable fat on my thighs and leggings makes a huge difference with 3 lbs.

All your input is much appreciated.
  • get10fit2013
    get10fit2013 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to lose weight by walking 30 min/day 4-5 times per week and counting calories. I've been extremely slow in losing and have decided to try kicking my workouts up a notch by joining a gym. I have approximately 70 lbs to lose still and I'm wondering what you would suggest as a starting point for me in the gym. I intend to keep doing my lunch break walks, but am curious what's better to jumpstart some major fat loss....cardio, weights, combination? And how many days of each should I start with? Thank you!
  • beckywilliams1967
    beckywilliams1967 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • stroutman81
    Options
    I've been trying to lose weight by walking 30 min/day 4-5 times per week and counting calories. I've been extremely slow in losing and have decided to try kicking my workouts up a notch by joining a gym. I have approximately 70 lbs to lose still and I'm wondering what you would suggest as a starting point for me in the gym. I intend to keep doing my lunch break walks, but am curious what's better to jumpstart some major fat loss....cardio, weights, combination? And how many days of each should I start with? Thank you!

Firstly, congrats to committing yourself to this. You won't regret it. Just keep in mind that you WILL have setbacks. With certain, I can say it won't be a straight line to your goals. When things get slow, it's not a time for frustration. Rather it's a time for troubleshooting and tweaking.

With as much weight as you have to lose, hopefully your primary focus is nutrition. The double edge sword with exercise is those who need it most generally don't have the capacities to expend substantial calories. And what calories they do expend exercising can be easily erased with a few minor slips.

The energy density of our foods will always trump the rate of energy expenditure of our exercise.

Point is, make sure you have your hierarchy of importance established.

Keep your walking for sure... it's a great exercise.

As for what to do in the gym, I would lean toward what you enjoy. If you enjoy using the cardio equipment... have at it. If you want to experiment with weights... by all means... do it. Or do a combo. I'd say a combo is likely best, but here's the big idea...

When you have as much weight to lose as you do, pretty much anything works. You needn't worry about the specifics. What matters most is consistent effort. As you get nearer to your goal, obviously you'll have to become more selective and deliberate with your approach. But for the time being, you can have fun doing pretty much whatever you want within the bounds of sanity and safety.

I'll say this. In many of my threads I'm directing my advice toward relatively lean people trying to get leaner. In those cases, I harp on and on about how important progressive, heavy strength training is.

In your case, that's not necessarily the case. If you want to do some resistance training, you're likely better off with some form of low rest, lowish weight, higher volume circuit training. Essentially it's a blend of cardio and weight training. The benefits of doing something like this would be:

1. You'd be maximizing calorie expenditure
    2. You'd be giving your muscles some exposure to resistance training making them stronger
    3. This form of training is glycogen depleting, which helps with partitioning (where calories are going and coming from)

Just to name a few.

This may have opened up more questions. If that's the case... please feel free to continue.
  • paprad
    paprad Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    This caught my eye because I like using the rower for warm up - just around 5-6 minutes before I begin the strength training workout, and I do 10-15 minutes rowing as part of my cardio routine which includes a bit of elliptical and some cycling, on the non lifting days.

What's your take on rowing as a warmup before squats? Is it good or does it, perhaps, end up fatiguing the legs too much? My strength training routine is the AllPro routine - progressive loading-deloading routine that keeps the weights static for 5 weeks while reps go from 8-12, and then the weights are increased by 10% only if form with 12 reps is good. I started lifting a few months back and while I have progressed, my weights are fairly light so far (as a % of my body weight)
  • elisabeisme
    elisabeisme Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    3. This form of training is glycogen depleting, which helps with partitioning (where calories are going and coming from)
    Can you explain a bit about this?

Doesn't glycogen depletion mean "bonking". I thought that was a bad thing?

I primarily use swimming and run-walk intervals for my cardio. I have a tendency to blood pressure regulation issues when exercising (vasovagal sycope). In swimming, I can keep up a high level of exertion because it is a horizontal activity. I do laps as hard as I can without stopping and after about 45 minutes to an hour, my muscles are screaming and I am spent. With running, I can't go as hard because the upright position combined with the bouncing sometimes brings out the sudden blood pressure drop (making me faint). So, with running, I've been doing short run-walk intervals. Run-walking is SO much easier than swimming and I rarely feel any muscle soreness. I run of energy before my muscles feel taxed at all. That usually happens sometime around 90 minutes or so.

Should this be a signal to stop? On the weekends, I would have time to go out for longer periods like 3-hours or so. Should I be purposefully avoiding the bonk (by eating energy chews etc) or trying to train my body to get along longer with less glycogen by trying to push past the bonk? Eating the chews feels counter productive. Why bother running longer to just eat more calories? Should I split my run into morning and night to go for more total minutes?

To clarify, I have no interest in training for a race. I don't care about getting better at running or "improving performance". I just want to configure the running to burn as much fat as humanly possible.

(I've lost about 60 pounds so far but am still 15 pounds away from normal BMI for my height. I also strength train at the gym with weights. I net around 1500 cals per day.)

Thanks so much!
  • get10fit2013
    get10fit2013 Posts: 87 Member
    Options

Firstly, congrats to committing yourself to this. You won't regret it. Just keep in mind that you WILL have setbacks. With certain, I can say it won't be a straight line to your goals. When things get slow, it's not a time for frustration. Rather it's a time for troubleshooting and tweaking.

With as much weight as you have to lose, hopefully your primary focus is nutrition. The double edge sword with exercise is those who need it most generally don't have the capacities to expend substantial calories. And what calories they do expend exercising can be easily erased with a few minor slips.

The energy density of our foods will always trump the rate of energy expenditure of our exercise.

Point is, make sure you have your hierarchy of importance established.

Keep your walking for sure... it's a great exercise.

As for what to do in the gym, I would lean toward what you enjoy. If you enjoy using the cardio equipment... have at it. If you want to experiment with weights... by all means... do it. Or do a combo. I'd say a combo is likely best, but here's the big idea...

When you have as much weight to lose as you do, pretty much anything works. You needn't worry about the specifics. What matters most is consistent effort. As you get nearer to your goal, obviously you'll have to become more selective and deliberate with your approach. But for the time being, you can have fun doing pretty much whatever you want within the bounds of sanity and safety.

I'll say this. In many of my threads I'm directing my advice toward relatively lean people trying to get leaner. In those cases, I harp on and on about how important progressive, heavy strength training is.

In your case, that's not necessarily the case. If you want to do some resistance training, you're likely better off with some form of low rest, lowish weight, higher volume circuit training. Essentially it's a blend of cardio and weight training. The benefits of doing something like this would be:

1. You'd be maximizing calorie expenditure
    2. You'd be giving your muscles some exposure to resistance training making them stronger

Just to name a few.

This may have opened up more questions. If that's the case... please feel free to continue.

Thanks so much for the information! I appreciate you taking the time. :)